Alclad: Suitable for wargaming?

Evil Eye

As the title implies, is Aclad paint suitable for use on tabletop miniatures? I generally use Molotow for "regular" chrome but there's some really, really nice effects they do (the Holomatic Spectral Chrome especially). However, I have no idea if it's possible to hand-apply it, which on smaller models would be something of a problem, and I've also heard their paints are extremely fragile- like, "touch them and they will flake off" fragile.

So with paintbrush I don't think you can achieve what you want looking good with smooth finish which in this case I believe is important to achieve the slight spectral "colourshifty" effect). However, you could airbrush this with an airbrush that have a very fine needle (0.15 or 0.2 mm) and still be able to only do details on a model. Instead of using Alclad think you could achieve what you want with the following:

1. Prime/undercoat with gloss black primer (for this I recommend Vallejo gloss black 77.660)
  2. Base coat with Vallejo metal color chrome 77.707
  3. Apply thin coats (two or three) coats of green stuff stuff world colorshift metal paint of your choice (how about psychotic illusions?)

The colourshift paints from green stuff world requires several layers (four or five) to look good and get the effect strong, but if you do fewer layers of this paint over a smooth shiny chrome colour (the above suggested one in step 2 is the best I have seen that is still water soluble) then you get what you seem to want, a silver/chrome surface that have more subtle colour variations depending on angle

Archived