Unit of the Week: Tartaros Terminator Squad

Jolemai

Welcome to the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 8th edition Codex, there is no better time to discuss all the unique units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Tartaros Terminator Squad

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Tartaros Terminators?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Combat Squads?
  • Footslog, transport, or Teleport Strike?
  • How are you buffing this unit?
  • What weapon choices do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagems?

Over to you

Nice target to deep strike and use the Archangels Stratagem on, seeing as they can be rather shooty in just a 5 man unit with:

• 3 Combi bolters
  • 2 Grenade Harnesses
  • Plasma Balster
  • Reaper Auto-Cannon

However at 2CP this is expensive unless you are managing to get into combat too, which relies on hitting that 9" charge so YMMV.

I think they "look" particularly BA too, if that floats your boat!

A bit irrelevant, but how about teleporting a 10-man terminator squad and use Archangels stratagem? And then even attempt a charge and use re-rolls to get the distance?

Only issue you run into is space (finding room for 10 terminators is tough!) and the further CP for a re-roll still doesn't make it a guaranteed charge.

With no experience actually using the squad, my hypothetical use case is as a mobile heavy weapons platform/deployment. Go full dakka with reaper, grenade launchers and plasma blastgun. However it is still just as limited/troubled as all other terminators for being too high cost/not durable enough. But Rule of Cool is totally at play so have fun.

Incidentally my plan is to deck out my tartaros with full dakka but have a squad of cataphractii to be melee. the 4+ inv save should help get cataphractii into assault while tartaros provides the cover fire. Expensive but I think they synergize well.

I know it's a bit outrageous for Terminators these days. But you could go for a 10 man squad and combat squad them into 2 5 man units.

1 shooty with 2x reapers, 2x harnesses, a plasma blaster and a couple storm bolters. Then turn the second 5 man unit into all melee. Like 5x twin claws, or 4x twin claws and a fist guy for good measure.

Not sure what you'd do with them after than, but you got a nice deepstrike shooty squad and a melee squad. Both would pair well with a jumping smash cap.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

It's a simple concept folks. We have a unit, how do you use it.

If you want to complain about something there's a gazillion other threads you can *constructively* add to, but doing so here is neither that or on topic.

I have no personal experience with them, but I’ve been thinking about getting a box and going full ranged options with the plasma sarge, reaper auto cannon, and grenade harness. Unkyhamham’s idea of one large squad split up into combat squads to double up on special’s is also really intriguing. Two grenade harnesses, two reaper autocannons, and a plasma blaster plus Combi bolters is a lot of Dakka for 5 models!

At that point it might even be worth using strike of the archangels!

Here’s to hoping they get a nice discount from CA!

Just a hunch, but down the track I for see FW releasing a BA tartaros kit for their HH game, so you'd have some BA specific models to use. Mind you this is just a hunch based on the fact the BA praetor is wearing tartaros armour. I reckon DA will get legion specific cattaphractti armour too, but that's not relevant to this discussion so I'll leave it that.

Rules wise I think tartaros termies have some uses for us given their relatively fast movement, well for terminators anyway, and their autocannon looks sweet both model and crunch wise, but I don't like anything else about from looks perspective, I see them as having good rules but I don't find them aesthetically pleasing. I do wish cattaphactti had access to the autocannon though.

According to the points leaks(by my count, feel free to check my math), a max shooty squad of 5 (sarge with grenade harness and plasma blaster, one with reaper auto cannon/power fist, and three with just fists/Combi bolters) are down a whopping 48 points! Makes it a nice fairly palatable 188!

Woo Hoo!!

Edit: checked my own math, it’s 43…

Edit edit: I am now officially going to pick up two and do unkyhamham’s suggestion!

Anyone ever tried them out with all LC’s? Just been running the numbers and kitting them shooty seems like the way to go in almost all situations for a very small (13 points) price hike.

Alternatively, if you’ve ever run LC terminators, I’d like to hear from you too as they’re nearly identical in performance.

I think it may work if Tartaros could take a Claw and a Bolter like Cataphractii.  Instead they have to take them in pairs, and limiting the whole squad to melee only could easily backfire.  Assault Terminators kinda get away with it because they can have greater durability with a few (or all) shields.  With Fists and guns, Tartaros can either be used to put a dent in chaff or crack harder nuts.  They don't have that utility with Claws.

I think it may work if Tartaros could take a Claw and a Bolter like Cataphractii.  Instead they have to take them in pairs, and limiting the whole squad to melee only could easily backfire.  Assault Terminators kinda get away with it because they can have greater durability with a few (or all) shields.  With Fists and guns, Tartaros can either be used to put a dent in chaff or crack harder nuts.  They don't have that utility with Claws.

You can still have 2 models in the unit with reaper+chainfist and plasma blaster and chainfist though right?

You can still have 2 models in the unit with reaper+chainfist and plasma blaster and chainfist though right?

I think soooo

Yup, but the question was whether or not to go completely LC on the squad load out.  Doesn't strike me as a good use o the unit.  Claws with the Sarge and special weapon in the squad though...dunno.  I'm not sure how conducive the two would be to one another.  Still, it would have more use than completely kitting out with claws.

Archived