Primaris Chaplain (Raptors chapter)

ScootyPuffJunior

Primaris Chaplain

Primaris Chaplain

Primaris Chaplain

Primaris Chaplain

Brother-Chaplain Viator of the Raptors chapter for my kill team! I love chaplain models and this one is no different. I did replace the head of his crozius with a banner topper from my bits box because the one that comes with it makes him look like he’s carrying a marching band baton. I followed the studio scheme relatively closely, but tried to go easy on the bling (he is a Raptors marine after all!). Also, his armor was painted without using black paint, just various greys. Comments and criticism welcome!

Digging the brown of the leather coat.  What color is that?

Thanks! The base color is Vallejo Model Color Flat Brown and VMC Black mixed 1:1 (I think, but I might have added some more black to darken it up a bit). The scratches and worn effects were done with a couple of different lighter browns I had, mainly VMC English Uniform and VMA Dark Earth. I also used my airbrush and ridiculously thinned VMA Dark Earth to ever-so-slightly highlight the folds of the coat. 

Really nicely done. I have to echo that the leather is very nice, and very believable.

I would like to point out that his feet look a bit too pristine walking around on what appears to be a very dusty surface. Also maybe something more can be done with the gold on top of the staff? it feels a bit flat.

Can only hope I can make my leather half as good as that though.

Really nicely done. I have to echo that the leather is very nice, and very believable.

I would like to point out that his feet look a bit too pristine walking around on what appears to be a very dusty surface. Also maybe something more can be done with the gold on top of the staff? it feels a bit flat.

Can only hope I can make my leather half as good as that though.

Thanks mate!

About the pristine look... as primarily an 1/35 scale armor modeler, I definitely agree with your assessment.  The easiest way to remedy it is some dry pigments or perhaps a light mist coat of a dusty color with an airbrush, both things I considered. My issue with either is that the edge highlighting is intentionally subtle (I don't like the "Tron" look that is common when painting black armor) and obscuring it with a dust effect is a real possibility. It's something that I might revisit in the near future though.

I'm also glad you brought up the winged skull on his crozius because I was also rather unhappy with how the color turned out after I took these pictures. Now admittedly, I think a lot of it has to do with the brightness of my photography lights and the fact that I used Vallejo alcohol metallics to paint it. That being said, before I made this post, I went back with a darker wash and deepened the recess shadows on it and I think it looks better. If I get around to it, I'll take some new pictures.

So many awesome elements to this model, really good work - can I ask how you did the base? Bit hard to tell from the photos!

Thanks! The base is Vallejo Earth Texture (Dark Earth) drybrushed with Vallejo  Model Color Pale Sand. The little tufts are from Army Painter I think; I tend to toss the packages those things come in so I just have a collection of them in a bag, but I'm pretty sure those particular ones are AP.

I love how the black PA came out - would you mind sharing how you did it? It really is fantastic. Also, +1 for how great the leather looks! :thumbsup:

Thank you!

The armor was done with Tamiya paints through an airbrush. The base, darkest color was NATO Black (XF-69), which despite its name is actually a very dark grey. I added broad highlights with German Grey (XF-63), a cool dark grey. The final more selective highlight was done with Dark Grey (XF-24). I then edge highlighted it using Vallejo Model Color Grey Green (70866). To finish it, I gave it a pin wash with Mig Black Wash, which is an enamel wash.

Haha Im really going to hammer this home i guess but yea that leather is great! What colors were used on his belts and holster?

Great work, whats next?

Thanks again!

His belt and holster were painted with Vallejo Game Color Beasty Brown, washed with Agrax Earthshade, highlighted with Beasty Brown, and highlighted again with Vallejo Model Color English Uniform.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived