Sisters Preview

CrusherJoe

Every update we get a different faith system. It's almost like they change it just to change it because they think any change is good. It looks to me like this time they just said to themselves, "let's make them like psyker powers, why not?" Flavour-wise I prefer Faith to be distanced from Psychic stuff because Sisters are definitely not witches using magic. Faith is army defining for Sisters, which is why I think it should be fairly reliable. The current system gives us the ability to have one guaranteed and another that only fails on a 1, so that the Imagifiers 50/50 was never much of a burden. If the dice roll for the faith test is only 1d6 instead of 2d6 then what we'll have is just psyker powers but worse. If it's only 1d6 then the bonuses from traits and gear will be worth more, but I dislike being forced to stack auras and traits just to make something be worth using in the first place.

Hoping faith is on 2d6. 1d6 gives me flashbacks to the abomination that was the white dwarf debacle.

Speculation that Celestians may get +1 to faith tests?

Hoping flamers get a similar to storm bolter strat (seriously, why ONLY storm bolters?) As i dont like storm bolters but have plenty of flamers collecting dust.

Convictions i like. Dont see myself using the 6+++ but the fact that normal unaltered humans can be shrugging off damage like a death guard. Dont math hammer me, i simply dont care.

A very nice tease but leaves more questions.

Definately thinking that I'll be fielding a brigade more often.

CASistersofBattle-Dec6-ThePassion-10ns.j

hint hint :P

it looks like it is going to be based around double actions within the relevant phase.

Yeah I’m kinda hoping that wasn’t the norm... being able to act out of sequence was half the power of the AoF system. If I wanted to fight twice in the fight phase I’d use command points...

Look how powerful Ynnari are being able to break the order of the game through Soulburst. Sisters played the same way for me with the pre-turn AoF system.

Doubling up phases is good, but what if you shoot really well or fight really well and now that unit doesn’t have a target for AoFs...

Too many points of failure are showing up.

That's actually only for the fight phase. Shooting twice in the shooting phase is FAR more useful than shooting at the start of the turn, because it happens after movement. Even losing being able to move heavy weapons with no penalty doesn't make shooting twice in the shooting phase not the stronger option.

Moving again is...a bit worse? There are some specific cases where moving before the movement phase was better but not many.

Basically: Shooting is better, Melee is worse, movement is a wash.

Acts of Faith sound worse but going from an army that uses one special rule to be competitive to an army with more options is unlikely to be a over-all downgrade. I just hope they'll have more variety than double actions all the time. I want my 3++ unmovable melee b(l)obs back...

If Faith points are per turn then 5+ on 1d6 will actually be amazing.

6+ feel no pain will be better on sisters than it is on Iron Hands but not as good as it is on Orks. If convictions work on vehicles then Valorous Heart could be the mech Order.

Blessed bolts is great but it will basically just give Sisters a plasma gun equivalent.

Mech marines aren't that bad right now once you work out how to actually use them, mech sisters should be fine since they're cheaper so 70 point rhinos aren't as much of a issue.

I wonder if they will split out banners between the different models / types. As modeled there are actually 3 types of banners, but in 8th it's been just the one.

Only one of those is for sale at the moment and only two of those were for sale simultaneously.

They use Bolter weapons, Flamer weapons, and Melta weapons. Those weapons are short-ranged, two of them are overcosted, all of them are worse at what they are meant to do than in previous editions.

Currently Melta and Flamer are overcosted for all armies, hopefully that will change.

Mech sisters are currently the best overall SoB list(based on tournament performance) and are FAR better than the marine equivalent.

heya, not certain if anybody else noticed this or if I just hadn't noticed the change from some time ago.

The Adepta Sororitas page on GW's store has been merged with the Ministorum/Ecclesiarchy page and is now the Adeptus Ministorum.

What that holds for the changes to faith and whether priests/missionaries could use them or not is entirely up for debate, but I thought that it was an interesting change in relation to the topic.

heya, not certain if anybody else noticed this or if I just hadn't noticed the change from some time ago.

The Adepta Sororitas page on GW's store has been merged with the Ministorum/Ecclesiarchy page and is now the Adeptus Ministorum.

What that holds for the changes to faith and whether priests/missionaries could use them or not is entirely up for debate, but I thought that it was an interesting change in relation to the topic.

It's been that way for a while.

Erjak:

I know that strat was for fighting, I was making an inference that a shooting one would be similar. Perhaps I wasn’t clear.

I disagree about double shooting being better than shoot/move/shoot. Id much rather position myself to shoot something, wipe it, move into position, shoot something else. Shoot then shoot again leaves me with less flexibility.

Shoot/move/shoot allowed me to take on multiple targets located within different areas of my opponent’s forces. I could use HBs to clear a screen, then move a unit through said screen all before the turn began.

It allowed my firebase to be more mobile. Knowing the results of my shooting before I move is a huge benefit. Shooting twice back to back doesn’t seem to compare in any way. If you wanted to shoot back to back then you can with the current system (more or less, shoot/skip movement/shoot).

hint hint :tongue.:

it looks like it is going to be based around double actions within the relevant phase.

Yeah I’m kinda hoping that wasn’t the norm... being able to act out of sequence was half the power of the AoF system. If I wanted to fight twice in the fight phase I’d use command points...

Look how powerful Ynnari are being able to break the order of the game through Soulburst. Sisters played the same way for me with the pre-turn AoF system.

Doubling up phases is good, but what if you shoot really well or fight really well and now that unit doesn’t have a target for AoFs...

Too many points of failure are showing up.

That's actually only for the fight phase. Shooting twice in the shooting phase is FAR more useful than shooting at the start of the turn, because it happens after movement. Even losing being able to move heavy weapons with no penalty doesn't make shooting twice in the shooting phase not the stronger option.

Moving again is...a bit worse? There are some specific cases where moving before the movement phase was better but not many.

Basically: Shooting is better, Melee is worse, movement is a wash.

I'd argue that point. shooting at the start of the turn was really powerful specifically for clearing out chaff before movement, shooting seraphim out of combat without falling back etc.

Shooting twice during the shooting phase is better for things like dominions. So swings and round about really.

That Blessed bolters strat lasts the whole phase so double shooting stormbolters in the shooting phase synergies really well with it.

The benefit to move followed by double shoot is for Dominions or Seraphin who need to move to get within six inches and then can double tap into a knight or Leman Russ or whatever. Shoot/move/shoot is probably better for Heavy Bolter Retributor squads, though, as you said. In both cases, sometimes each is better, sometimes each is worse.

They are taken on a 1d6, taken from Bob at War of Sigmar.

Damn. That's going to be rough.

We still need to find out if they are generated once per game or per turn. If per game? Yeah, that is actually super tough. If it is per turn? Then it actually feels like it scales.

Damn. That's going to be rough.

We still need to find out if they are generated once per game or per turn. If per game? Yeah, that is actually super tough. If it is per turn? Then it actually feels like it scales.

Yeah, still, there's a big question of if you can spend multiple faith points on one unit. Otherwise, if you can only try once per unit and Faith Points are once per turn, AoFaiths are basically worthless, since you wouldn't be able to plan for them at a 5+.

this is pure speculation but i have a feeling that we'll get 1 faith point per turn, AoF costs 1 faith point, every additional faith point used results in a +1 to the roll. imagifiers probably give +1 as well and dialogus probably give reroll. Based off of "You’ll be able to influence this roll in a number of ways, particularly by using a Simulacrum Imperialis and Dialogus." even if i'm wrong about the additional faith points i'm confident about the character interactions.

Indeed. if it's a one off generation i don't think it's going to work very well as it basically cuts down our 10+ AoFs, at the very least 2 per turn over 5 turns, to a miserable amount while simultaneously making them harder to 'cast'.

Erjak:

I know that strat was for fighting, I was making an inference that a shooting one would be similar. Perhaps I wasn’t clear.

I disagree about double shooting being better than shoot/move/shoot. Id much rather position myself to shoot something, wipe it, move into position, shoot something else. Shoot then shoot again leaves me with less flexibility.

Shoot/move/shoot allowed me to take on multiple targets located within different areas of my opponent’s forces. I could use HBs to clear a screen, then move a unit through said screen all before the turn began.

It allowed my firebase to be more mobile. Knowing the results of my shooting before I move is a huge benefit. Shooting twice back to back doesn’t seem to compare in any way. If you wanted to shoot back to back then you can with the current system (more or less, shoot/skip movement/shoot).

Remember, AoFs went off BEFORE the turn started so your opponent had HIS entire turn to neuter your AoFs. Shoot move shoot is worse because your opponent will just move out of your range before your turn starts and your AoF will be largely wasted. Positioning yourself to wipe something just means your opponent moves slightly to the left and you wipe nothing. Or they just charge your unit and kill it because we're still SoB. You can jump out of a transport and double shoot now too. Also Seraphim might actually be able to double shoot occasionally now, lol. Most of the time in situations like what you described you end up being stuck with 'move, move, shoot' or 'heal, move, shoot'.

Screens are much less prevelant with the loss of turn 1 deepstrike. Not that heavybolters were that great at clearing chaff in the AoF phase before. You'd need 2 units of HB rets and at least 1 imagifier to punch through a decent chaff unit. That's an okay setup, but there are more efficient ways to go about it. And more efficient ways to use AoF.

The mobility of any sob 'firebase(which SoB don't really have because our guns are incredibly short ranged)' is still extremely poor, you'd get 1 extra 6" move at the cost of 2 imagifiers worth of AoFs basically. Unless you're talking about dominions(which is a weird thing to describe as a firebase), which will basically never be in range to shoot during the AoF phase against a halfway decent opponent.

Not to be rude, but it sounds like you haven't really played with the old AoF system enough to have run into the practical limitations surrounding how shooting 12" range guns immediately after your OPPONENT'S movement phase work. I will concede that heavy bolters are a bit worse now, but the gains elsewhere more than make up for it.

It's been that way for a while.

Thanks for the correction.  I guess when you haven't played in a while you get out of touch with some things.

I am, like many of you, not sure whether or not the change to Acts of Faith is going to be good, but if the Dialogus adds a +1 to the faith roll and the Simalcrum gives a re-roll then they could be fairly dependable (with the points investment it must be said). Adding in the Order of the Ebon Chalice and it is a 3+ re-rollable check.

I would not be too disappointed with that if we had a decent enough faith pool.

That being said, since I haven;t been able to play in a while I am more than a little rusty with my estimations.

Man, Acts of Faith being a pool filled at the start of the game and then used like basically separate but worse stratagems would be terribly disappointing.

So much opportunity for the narrative feel of an army of the devout sisters being at their strongest when they're all out there doing battle hymns and the like together as they descend upon the opponent.  Then as they engage and their sisters start to fall... needing that 1...more...miracle to go off to swing the tide.

Seems like a huge swing and miss there, as it likely becomes a pool that gets blasted in a turn or two to maximize the potential yield before your units start shirking/disappearing.

My issue with relying on these auras is the same issue I have with space marine tactics that rely on auras or other armies that focus on auras. Sure thats nice but I don't like the idea of forcing armies to move around in blobs centered on auras. It reduces strategic flexibility for oftentimes negligible tactical benefits.

Where was this quote, I only saw the once per game one.

Read the article preview on the site. He mentions it. I quoted him above also, but will again:
"For exemple this one (is the hardest to cast) you need to roll 5+ on 1D6, there are 3 way to get a +1 to the roll."

And then in the comments, you saw the other.

"With a Devotion Value of 5, you’d need to roll a 5 or over – at which point, you can proceed to turn your enemy into heretic-themed bolognese with your eviscerators. You’ll be able to influence this roll in a number of ways, particularly by using a Simulacrum Imperialis and Dialogus."

Is the heretic-themed bolognese the quote you're referring to?

Archived