Martox

Ave fraters,

Another post in which I attempt to motivate myself to finish things. These threads seem to take a nose dive off the deep end for a few reasons:

1 - I have a problem with starting things over. When I say starting things over, I mean 'this looks naff, into the methylated spirits with you for an undefined amount of time'. A perfectionism streak really, really doesn't help.

2 - due to number 1, I move on to other projects. I'm there fore sat on so many projects that it's a nightmare to get anything done.

3 - I love converting. I can spend weeks on the small things in a conversion. But nothing gets painted.

So, this is hopefully, hopefully, something to keep my random, scattershot hobbying on some sort of course. A few pics of things on the table at the moment, put in spoilers to save on screenspace for folks:

1 - Deathwatch Primaris Killteam

gallery_11473_7755_190675.png

These guys and 2 Reivers who've had some work on them are ready for painting, with the guy on the left actually beign complete and slightly modified already:

gallery_11473_7755_89974.jpg

2 - Emperor's Spears
Some may remember my Iron Knights/ Astral Knights WIPs from a while ago. Well, turns out, painting a lot of silver gets really boring really quickly. Then A-DB dropped the cover artwork for Emperor's Spear and that was it. One order from Shapeways from parts later I dropped in full force. I also managed to get hold of the Lieutenant from the Conquest mag to cut up a bit

gallery_11473_7755_130967.png

This guy has been a bit of a labour - the fur cloak is made from a Greenstuff World texture plate. Learning how to use that has been a trial but I feel I've got the hang of it now. Icons are from Shapeways. I may extend the fur on the shoulder further down the front of the shoulder at a similar angle so I can add a clasp to it, followed by some clean up. Next on the cards is to build/clean up 10 Primaris so they can all be painted at the same time (roughly).

3 - Legio Pallidus Mor

Also on the paint table - but not photo'd - is a full titan maniple awaiting painting in Legio Pallidus Mor colours (black, bone and yellow with silver trim)

So, there we go. A start to this whole afair. Lets see how far this one goes.

So, an update.

I've built 5 marines to be test pieces for the paint scheme, however a few things got to me when I undercoated.
1 - The joints where the sprue connected, particularly on the backpack and legs, has 'torn' away leaving gaps/dents. I can only assume this is due to my clippers potentially being blunt. These will need filled in.
2 - One marine was in a state I'd call fit for painting, so I cracked out the wet palette and set to work. Seems I was being a bit too liberal with it on the brush, as it didn't go on smooth.

So as it stands, there's 2 marines in the methylated spirits bath awaiting attempt number 2, whilst the other 3 need some smoothing over/gap filling.

Not a great deal of an update. The struggle is real.

Hopefully tomorrow morning before work I can get the ones in the methylated spirits cleaned and undercoat them again. Gap filling/smoothing over these other 3 shouldn't be too much of a problem.

So, short update again.

Managed to get the base colour down on 4 of the 5 marines (one is currently taking another dip in the methylated spirits as the basecoat went.. wrong. Again)

gallery_11473_7755_868426.jpg

The line shading will continue tonight. However, the more interesting part is what turned up to be placed on the conversion table:

gallery_11473_7755_10424.jpg

Yes, it is PriMarneus Calgar, to become my Spear's Captain in Gravis Armour. I have plans on what I can do with this already using parts from the standard Gravis Captain to get rid of the gauntlets (though I may keep one, reposed, for the powerfist with bolter that comes on the basic Gravis Captain.)
Plan is to get rid of the Ultramarines bling, repose parts/flat out replace others to get him holding a spear. The vents are most definitely going, as will likely a good chunk of the backpack. The Victrix Guard are an interesting problem as I'm not certain what I will do with them.

The conversion will likely be on hold until I get home from visiting for the holidays, but that means I can actually continue trying to get stuff painted.

The end goal for this first lot is to get a starter force painted to play 750pt games with, that force being:

HQ:
Captain in Gravis Armour
Boltstorm Gauntlet, Master Crafted Power Spear

Lieutenant
Power Sword, Bolt Pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades

Lieutenant
Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle, bolt pistol, Frag and Krak Grenades

Troops:

Intercessor Squad
4 Marines with Auto Bolt Rifles, 1 Auxilliary Grenade Launcher
Sergeant with Power Sword and Auto Bolt rifle

4 Marines with Bolt Rifles, 1 Auxilliary Grenade Launcher