The Pious 17?

.Torch.

With the new preview of the Sisters of Battle beta rules, I've had a thought that they might make a good Battalion for allying with Custodes in place of the loyal 32.

I was thinking of something along the following lines:

Order Conviction: Valorous Heart

Canoness

Chainsword, Storm Bolter

Relic: Book of St. Lucius

WL Trait: Indomitable Belief

Canoness

Chainsword, Storm Bolter

Sisters of Battle Squad

Sister Superior w/Storm Bolter

2x Sisters of Battle w/Storm Bolter

2x Sisters of Battle

Sisters of Battle Squad

2x Sisters of Battle

Sisters of Battle Squad

2x Sisters of Battle

This comes to just under 250pts, so its relatively pricey as far as a cheap Battalion goes.

The Good:

> We get a more durable screen than the loyal 32. The squads of Sisters will be getting a 5++ while they are within 9" of the Warlord, and will then ignore any failed wounds on a 6 thanks to the new Order Conviction. Pretty good when they also have a 3+ power armour save as standard.

> Psyker denial. If they keep the current ability to deny Psychic powers (only 1D6 but still better than nothing). The new 'Suffer not the Witch' goes some way to improve this and its only 1CP.

> Storm Bolter Stratagem. With this Battalion paying 1CP for 'Blessed Bolts' seems like a bargain to turn those Storm Bolters into AP-2 and Damage 2.

The Bad:

> Toughness 3. Will still crumble under shear weight of dice. Although the above points on resilience should combat that.

> Less numbers = Less Board Control. Combined with the fact to obtain the above bonuses you will have to be very careful of how you space out your Sisters of Battle squads. Although, again the Relic should help by boosting the Warlord Traits range.

The Not So Sure:

> Yet to be revealed Acts of Faith. While there is no concrete wording on how Faith points will be generated, they could boost this battalion once we get more information. Although currently, it looks like you only get 1 per 10 models, which would leave this detachment lacking a bit in faith. Although I think the above points will make up for that.

What does everyone think? I will be giving it a go when I get back to the UK.

I would say it depends heavily on why you want the allies to begin with. If you want them for extra bodies then I think this formation will work quite well. It will certainly punch at the same weight as the guard in everything but table coverage.

If however, you want the allies for CP generation then I don’t think this would be the best plan. The only reason I say that is that the combo above and the stratagems you’re thinking of using would cost 2 of those CP and you’re using up your warlord trait in a way that only benefits the allies.

As above, the whole purpose of the loyal 32 is for a cheap 5CP as well as a CP farm. The Sisters don't do either of those things well, and their basic guns are worse than Custodes bolt spears. The only reason I can see to take Sisters in any form is for their melta power or as an outrider detachment with Celestine and a wall of inferno pistol wielding Seraphim.

I think we will have to see what Acts of Faith bring to the party. While I get the lack of CP generation, I like the durability aspect. I know I'm probably giving up 'Superior Creation' for it, but I want to see how a more durable screen will do. Guard tend to get minced pretty easily. I think I will give it a play test and see how it goes.

Either way, its an excuse for more plastic crack.

I think it depends on what you want from them. Sisters are definitely harder to kill than Guardsmen, especially in cover for a 2+ save.

They definitely hold objectives fairly well, and can put out a decent amount of accurate shots. I'd also look into an Eviscerator for your Cannoness, as she begins to be a good budget blender with that. For less than 300 pts, I'd say it's worth it, but only if your not as concerned about pt to Command pt ratio, as you still can't beat guard for that.

Archived