I don't think they're removing old Calgar from matched play. You should still be able to use his previous model and rules.

As for the topic at hand: This formation is really new for us Ultramarines. If you asked someone to describe the strengths of Ultramarines, you'd probably hear "shooting" more than "melee". And yet here we are with a very melee oriented formation for Ultramarines. What I'm thinking about the most is how this formation will keep its models alive long enough to get value from them. So far, elite power armour armies haven't done too well in 8E (blood angels usually run scouts and lots of Imperial Guard). With very few exceptions, elite melee armies aren't making the same impact that horde armies in general are. How will 1 wound models with 3+ (which doesn't mean all that much in 8E's save system) with T4 (again, doesn't mean much in 8E's wounding system) do when they are used in this formation? 

Can you get into melee without losing half your squad of vanguard marines? If they do get into melee, can you make sure it's not just some conscripts/cultists/infantrymen that you're cutting up? How are you going to hold objectives on your side of the board, especially since you have such a small footprint with a vanguard/sternguard/honorguard formation?

The more I think about this formation, the more appealing Guard command batteries are getting. Just as how Blood Angel captains had such a symbiotic relationship with guard CP batteries, it seems like Ultramarine vanguards/captains will also have a symbiotic relationship with guard CP batteries. Not only do they grant us CP, but they also give us cheap bodies. With such an elite army running an even more elite detachment as Victrix Guard, I am tempted to bring Guard battalions.

I'm not a fan of soup, and I prefer mono-armies, but that's for another discussion.

Edited by Tamiel

So this seems like the basic go-to combo for this formation:

• Get a 10 man squad of victrix vanguard vets into combat, hopefully unscathed and armed to the teeth.
  • Make sure a standard bearer with the Standard of Macragge is in range of this squad. (Squad now gets +1 attack per model, so 10 extra attacks)
  • Make sure a victrix guard captain with the Warden of Ultramar warlord trait is in range of this squad. Pop the Warden of Ultramar trait (squad now gets to reroll failed wound rolls)
  • Activate the Fight Like Demigods stratagem for 1CP. (squad now hits on 2s and rerolls 1s because of pre-mentioned captain)
  • OPTIONAL: If fighting heretic astartes, activate the Death to the Traitors stratagem from the SM Codex on the vanguard squad for 1CP. (squad now generates additional hits on rolls of 6+ in melee against heretic astartes)
  • If target is still alive, they get to hit you back, but you get to then use the Honour the Chapter stratagem for 3CP on your vanguard squad to make them go again with the same buffs.

So you're getting a vanguard squad with essentially 31 attacks, hitting on 2s rerolling 1s, wounding on X rerolling all failed wounds, and generating additional hits from to hit rolls of 6+ if fighting heretic astartes.

If the target is still alive, you get to do it again with however many vanguard you still have left alive. If all 10 of your vanguard are alive, you get to have 31 more attacks with the exact same buffs as before since you are going again in the same phase. That would bring you up to 72 to attacks with all of the reroll buffs still in effect.

Add to that the captain and the ancient, who are also receiving the reroll hits and wounds buffs, although they don't get to fight twice. 

Edited by Tamiel

So this seems like the basic go-to combo for this formation:

• Get a 10 man squad of victrix vanguard vets into combat, hopefully unscathed and armed to the teeth.
  • Make sure a standard bearer with the Standard of Macragge is in range of this squad. (Squad now gets +1 attack per model, so 10 extra attacks)
  • Make sure a victrix guard captain with the Warden of Ultramar warlord trait is in range of this squad. Pop the Warden of Ultramar trait (squad now gets to reroll failed wound rolls)
  • Activate the Fight Like Demigods stratagem for 1CP. (squad now hits on 2s and rerolls 1s because of pre-mentioned captain)
  • OPTIONAL: If fighting heretic astartes, activate the Death to the Traitors stratagem from the SM Codex on the vanguard squad for 1CP. (squad now generates additional hits on rolls of 6+ in melee against heretic astartes)
  • If target is still alive, they get to hit you back, but you get to then use the Honour the Chapter stratagem for 3CP on your vanguard squad to make them go again with the same buffs.
So you're getting a vanguard squad with essentially 31 attacks, hitting on 2s rerolling 1s, wounding on X rerolling all failed wounds, and generating additional hits from to hit rolls of 6+ if fighting heretic astartes.

If the target is still alive, you get to do it again with however many vanguard you still have left alive. If all 10 of your vanguard are alive, you get to have 31 more attacks with the exact same buffs as before since you are going again in the same phase. That would bring you up to 72 to attacks with all of the reroll buffs still in effect.

Add to that the captain and the ancient, who are also receiving the reroll hits and wounds buffs, although they don't get to fight twice.

Don't forget on a 4+ they can make a single swing again when they go down! From the banner!

Which is a good thing to bring up. Since rules as written the banner stacks with the normal ancient banner rule. So with that and the Ultra CTs, your units will be at a +3 leadership buff! That's 12 for Vets. Morale is really not gonna be an issue combined with ATSKNF.

I'm planning a deathball of veterans rolling up the field with Guilliman. Apothecary (maybe 2), Ancient, one squad of veterans with shields and swords, one squad of veterans with combis/stormbolters and shields. All rolling around shooting, charging, shooting from death, getting back up etc etc. All being veterans they can take the hits that sneak through to the characters too. Potentially a rhino snuggled away, ready to spread the boys out to grab things late game.

(I really need to stop getting vets and HG mixed up)

Edited by justicarius6

Because of how strong Fight Like Demigods seems, I would try to keep vanguard squads at 10men instead of combat squading them.

Don't forget on a 4+ they can make a single swing again when they go down! From the banner!

Does the Standard of Macragge have the same benefits as the Astartes Banner? I thought it replaced the Astartes Banner, meaning the "attack one last time before you die on a 4+" mechanic wouldn't be in effect unless you brought a second standard bearer with a regular Astartes Banner.

Edited by Tamiel

Because of how strong Fight Like Demigods seems, I would try to keep vanguard squads at 10men instead of combat squading them.

Does the Standard of Macragge have the same benefits as the Astartes Banner? I thought it replaced the Astartes Banner, meaning the "attack one last time before you die on a 4+" mechanic wouldn't be in effect unless you brought a second standard bearer with a regular Astartes Banner.

It always says in the relic entry when it "replaces" a weapon or piece of gear. It doesn't say that in the Banner of Macragge entry like it does in the Soldier's Blade entry for instance. Furthermore, the "Astartes Banner" rule is the special rule of the Ancient models. Not a benefit conferred by "being equipped" with the banner. So they stack, rules as written.

This is my current list I've come up with for Victrix, going to test it tomorrow, The basic idea is too death ball up the board leveraging reroll hits and wounds and the nifty new abilities from Victrix guard detachment.

2000 Ultramarines Victrix guard

11/9 Command points
14 drops

Super Heavy Aux(ultra)
Roboute Guilliman 400

Battalion (Ultramarines Victrix guard)

HQ
Captain 95
(ThunderHammer/Relic=The Sanctic Halo)

Chief Librarian Tigurius 115 

Elites
Company Ancient 63
(Relic=Standard of Macragge Inviolate)

5 Company Veteran  90
Stormbolter/Storm Shield

5 Company Veteran  90
Stormbolter/Storm Shield

10 Vanguard Veterans 169
x9 Chainsword/Storm Shield
Veteran Sergeant Power Fist/Storm Shield

10 Vanguard Veterans 169

10 Vanguard Veterans 169

Troops
5 Scouts 55
Bolters

5 Scouts 55
Bolters

5 Scouts 55
Bolters

Heavy
Relic Leviathan 303
(x2 Storm cannon array/ x2 Heavy Flamer)

Rapier Carrier with Quad Launcher 85
2 Space Marine Gunners

Rapier Carrier with Quad Launcher 85
2 Space Marine Gunners

Army total 1998
Edited by LordDrakon

It's a powerful looking list. Really surprised me as it has so much 3+ invulnerable.

Only thing I'd suggest, along with Prot, is the inclusion of a few weapons in the Vanguard. Just to spice them up a little.

It's a Marine Horde that is super quick and durable.

• 3 weeks later...

so I had a thought, victrix is chosen at list building and chapter master is chosen before the battle.

if you victrix > chapter master your captain what happens?

is the chapter master a victrix guard member or not? he only lost the captain key word after all.

What do people think