Interesting. Do the 10 Vanguard have jump packs?

The Mechanised style of list looks reasonable actually. I forgot how much I liked those lists.

The Tactical Marines are exactly the kind of build (perhaps minus the Power Sword) I go with.

(If I remember rightly Tigurius can have 3 powers by the way)

Yes my list is there abouts the tournament list I'll take. I'm not a totally cheesey player and I reckon people would enjoy playing my list. It's fairly strong for what it is and can do a lot.

If I have Tigurius I'd add psychic scourge to the army to ensure I can Mortal Wounds things too. The Devastators and Chief Librairan work in tandem if possible to put a potential 5D3 Mortal Wounds on a target, though that depends on board placement, manoeuvring and even if it's a Fly unit really. Still, options are there.

Anyway, the Victrix Guard are to make a splash on the enemy force. Tear the heart out of them whilst the Tactical Marines and other elements pour fire and pressure on the opponent including score VPs.

That Standard of Macragge is really good, though. I almost feel like this entire formation is built around that and the stratagem that gives you a bonus to hit, plus the stratagem from the codex that lets one of your units go again. I would even say that the standard is the most important component of this formation, since you can get 20 extra hits per turn with your vanguard thanks to it.

I like your list Captain Idaho. Having three potent jump infantry units you can choose to deep strike is very tactical. I also like the double plasma tactical squads and think that’s the optimal build for them.

In regards to Drukhari and combi meltas if you’re playing a good opponent I’m sure they are rocking some blasters and dark lances. You can one shot a Warboss on a bike with the combi. I have had a lot of success and in my mind it’s one of the best platforms for a melta.

Edited by Black Orange

That Standard of Macragge is really good, though. I almost feel like this entire formation is built around that and the stratagem that gives you a bonus to hit, plus the stratagem from the codex that lets one of your units go again. I would even say that the standard is the most important component of this formation, since you can get 20 extra hits per turn with your vanguard thanks to it.

It's a tough, agonising decision for me whether I should include it. I have the model and the proof would be in the pudding as to whether I can get the Relic close enough to the Vanguard for it to be worth it.

Index options are okay and all but I play in situations where they aren't generally considered legal.

Well I had a game this Sunday using 2000 pts Victrix Gaurd against my friends, 1000 pts each of Orks and Druhkari. 

My list was:

Battalion:

Tigurius

Chaplain w/jump pack

2 10 man tac squads Las/Plas

5 man sniper scouts, ML

Ven Dread w/AC and CCW

Vanguard:

Captain w/combi-melta, relic blade

Lt. w/storm bolter, power sword

Ancient w/ Banner of the Emperor 

Apothecary

2 8 man Sterngaurd, 1 all bolters, 1 had a heavy bolter added.

10 man VV sgt with power ax and SS, 3 vets with powerfist and chainsword, 3 vets with SS and chainsword, vet with plasma pistol and chainsword, 2 vets with dual chainswords

10 man VV, Sgt and 3 vets with twin lightningclaws, 3 vets with SS and chainsword, vet with plasma pistol and chainsword, 2 vets dual chainswords.

2 Rhinos.

Orks were 3 10 boys squads in trukks, a bunch of bikes, some of the snazzy new buggies.

Druhkari were 2 venoms, a raider all with Kabalites inside, scourges, mandrakes, and 2 archons with retinues.

I set up first, but chose to go second.

Notable things I noticed. Strike First, For Ultramar! is great even at 3cp. The Ork bikes got a 1st turn charge on the lightning claw vets. I used that and killed most of them. My turn I cleaned them up, the powerfist vets and ven dread moved forward to block the trukks coming in on the side. This didn't really do a whole heck of a lot, bad rolls meant I only peeled a few wounds off the trukks.

On the second turn, things went downhill. The mandrakes slipped in and got a charge off on Tigurius, after roasting one of the tac squads. He did not last long. The boys popped out of the trukks and 2 squads mobbed up. I used SF,FU! a second time and was able to whittle them down from the dangerous 20 boys before they could attack. Their boss attacked the ven dread and brought him down to 1 wound. He played the ork strat that lets him attack again during the phase to finish the dread off.

Instead of moving in on the approaching venoms and raider, the lightning claw vets had to move back and take care of the mandrakes. They were pretty easily taken care of, but lost 3 vets in overwatch. 

By the end of their turn 3, it was pretty much over. The orks cleared the one side and the Druhkari shooting blasted away most other units.

In all it was still a fun game. We were all new to the styles of armies we were playing.

Things I'd do differently, the sterngaurd did not seem to add as much as the VV, being basically glorified tac marines.

If you are going Victrix Gaurd, prepare to be CP starved. I had 7 CP to start with having spent one on the detachment and one on making the captain a field commander. Seeing how his aura only works once per battle now, I'm not too sure how much it is worth a cp.  I never used the other strat, but have used +1 to wound strats often enough with my DW to know it would work when needed.

I do like the detachment though, it gives the Ultramarines a fun style of play that may suprise folks.

CPs seem to be the biggest issue for any balanced list. I think my usual list is about 10 CPs which goes down to 8 after pregame upgrades.

Aside from that element to consider, I hadn't considered NOT taking Warden of Ultramar on the Vanguard Captain. I think in a take all comers list, it'll be useful as you can jump into tougher units to beat on them.

CPs seem to be the biggest issue for any balanced list. I think my usual list is about 10 CPs which goes down to 8 after pregame upgrades.

Aside from that element to consider, I hadn't considered NOT taking Warden of Ultramar on the Vanguard Captain. I think in a take all comers list, it'll be useful as you can jump into tougher units to beat on them.

Wardens is still pretty good. You're just banking basically a 1 CP reroll wounds strat.

Strike First For Ultramar lets you fight at the end of your opponent's charge phase, and then once again in your opponent's melee phase, right? So if I understand correctly, it lets your squad go twice in the enemy's turn (if they were charged).

Three times if you use Honor the Chapter or Only in Death Does Duty End!

The standard is giving you around 33 attacks if you use those two stratagems. That's more than one extra vanguard squad.
At this point I'm really starting to think it justifies buying some sort of transport for your guys and ditching jump packs. Something sturdy like a landraider with perhaps Tigurius' -1 to hit and Might of heroes on it. The landraider crusader can hold like 14 guys, right? Standard bearer, captain with Warden of Ultramar, a librarian probably tigurius, and an apothecary could be really good. If tigurius is inside, though, he can't cast his -1 to hit or Might of heroes. The apothecary also gets really good value from his revives, because each guy revived has like 9 attacks.

Not to mention the standard bearer still has the regular standard rules on top of the relic standard rules. Meaning every time one of your veterans dies, he has a 50% chance to do another attack.

Hmm, I might try this out. This is a hefty beatstick, so I gotta figure out what the rest of the army would be comprised of.

Edited by Tamiel

• 3 weeks later...
My problem with it is primaris dont have an equivalent. I have an entire 3rd company of oldmarines but i dont use them anymore. Im in the process of building the 3rd company all in primaris....we need a cc primaris unit desperately.

• 4 weeks later...

anybody got a tutorial on kit bashing invictarii suzarain helmets. I want to kit bash an honour guard

Get a box of sanguirnary guard, a bunch of melee weapons, jump packs and you can work with the winged pauldrons for the suzerains helms ,too some of the winged chalice iconography they bring. can be used. Remove BA iconography from legs and bodies and you have unique suzerains from your veterans. It is a really cheap box for all the bits you get.

Edited by Daigo Cannon