Well the game was played and was a fun one.

I dropped the LRC and added in a squad of terminators and a whirlwind.

My friend had a several units of blood claws, a squad of wolf guard terminators, wolfen, thunderwolf cav, long fangs, 2 squads of wolves, Njal, a commander, and 2 flyers.

Wolves got first turn. We played the mission where you have 3 cards, can toss in 2 for another and score double on that one.

Highlights of the game were:

First turn the flyers and longfangs unleashing all their firepower on the only targets they could see, the three scout units, but the scouts held firm, losing 2,2, and 3 scouts from each team. Also in the first turn me stripping one of the flyers down to 1 wound. I could have rerolled a 2 for damage, but foolishly decided not to. That flyer survived shots from the remaining snipers, a whirlwind, Telion, and the bolter scouts. In assault my powerfist vets removed the wolves, but stormshields on the cav prevented them from taking any damage. my vets were not so lucky, the cav killing off 7 of them.

Turn two the wounded flyer and longfangs killed the ven dread and put a lot of wounds on Chronos. The cav finished off the vets. a rune priest tried to kill my captain, three hits, I roll 1,1,2, needing to use a command reroll to survive, but he slaughters the priest in his counter attack. Crucial to the scoring, the wolf guard terminators deep struck and tried to kill off a unit of snipers defending an objective, one they wanted to secure. They kill all but one, fail their charge, even after a reroll. My turn, a hellishly large amount of fire power fails to even harm the terminators, the wounded flyer is killed. Wolf cav is whittled down and a charge from the deep striking lightning claw vets clears them out.

I forget the turns now, but other things of note.

Wolfen taking 2 full rounds of fire from the Terminators and Centurions and taking all but one wound. It finally took Tigurius and Null Zone to clear them out, but not untillafter they removed my terminators in one fell swoop. 

My claw vets charging Njal and the captain failing his charge. Njal taking just one wound. Then the vets being wiped out by a band of Bloodclaws.

Captain flies over the bloodclaws to shoot Njal with his combi-melta, down goes Njal, and then he gets a charge off on the Longfangs, kills all but 2. He is then killed by the claws.

The game ended 19-13 I believe. Despite my horrible rolls most of the game, the cards were king to me.

So this game I still have found the vets to not have lived up to my expectations. This more to mistakes I made, so I shouldn't be too hard on them.  Powerfist vets though are probably going to be retired for axes though.

Nice report. Hitting on 4s hurts so they're really command point hungry.

A win is a win. Sounds like a bit of bad luck so you likely would have done better had things swung more evenly.

There are times when your opponent fails no saves. It sucks!

Null Zone sounded like it saved your bacon though!

Nice report. Hitting on 4s hurts so they're really command point hungry.

A win is a win. Sounds like a bit of bad luck so you likely would have done better had things swung more evenly.

There are times when your opponent fails no saves. It sucks!

Null Zone sounded like it saved your bacon though!

Well I also play Deathwatch as well. So it was only fair I suffer from "Those Dang stormshields!" for once. 

Heck, I even had my captain make all his saves against a storm wolf unloading everything on him, so I was able to roll well after a while.

• 2 months later...

You can field a company ancient on a bike from the index to keep up with them. His flat 20 inch advance shoukd be more than enough to keep up with the jump troops.

I’m actually thinking about ripping one arm of of one of my bike commandsquad and replacing it with a banner.

Just to let you know mate, I've built an Index Option finally even after saying all this time I wouldn't! Bike Ancient with Ultras totem pole on the Bike and a power sword.

Thanks for the inspiration. Should work well as a force multiplier. :)

Excellent work captain Idaho! Keep us posted how he performs, and I'd love to see him once he's painted. I'm invested in my terminator project atm, but I must say I do like the victrix guard detachment as well. (I wish it did something for terminators)

I'm also a bit curious to combine Guilliman and a phobos lieutenant with the charge warlord trait for a +2 to charge from deep strike, rerollable if you cast veil on the unit.

It's probably hard to position, but 10 vanguard fully kitted out, rerolling everything with Guilliman's buff and an extra attack from the ancient must be terrifying.

Edited by Joukernaut

I've got to put an army showcase up I just always find other things to do. Bad Idaho!

Yes these sorts of combos are horrific if they get pulled off. I would be interested to see it happen.

Victrix Guard are 1st Company so perhaps as an expansion to your project it can be something you can do? Only issue is the Victrix Guard Detachment is CP hungry and that is prohibitive if you are going for 1st Company only.

Edited by Captain Idaho

I've got to put an army showcase up I just always find other things to do. Bad Idaho!

Yes these sorts of combos are horrific if they get pulled off. I would be interested to see it happen.

Victrix Guard are 1st Company so perhaps as an expansion to your project it can be something you can do? Only issue is the Victrix Guard Detachment is CP hungry and that is prohibitive if you are going for 1st Company only.

It's definitely something I could do, and am looking into. My ultramarines deserve some love after a long hiatus of painting. I have the bits for custom MkIV sternguard laying around somewhere, as well as 10 built vanguard and 5 more on sprue. 

I also have an old painted command squad on bike, so it would be easy to stick a banner on one. For now I'm working on my terminator backlog :biggrin.: .

The damage potential of this detachment will skyrocket with the new "shock assault" rule. It will be interesting to see if the detachment is still legal after the new codex, but my guess is yes. Vanguard veterans with potentially 4 attacks each (5 if dual lightning claws) is huge and actually very viable if you find a way to get them in combat reliably.

I sure it will be very much valid after the codex release if anything we may even get some revised rules set for the Victrix in the supplement.
I'm going wild with speculations, might even see the specalist detachment "battle company" make an appearance. 

Vanguard vets certainly look to be a winner with angels of death, what fills me with glee is that this one rule has given marine players the same volume of attack on average from 7th edition. 

My Victrix has become more of a hybrid now, with the inclusion of six victrix honour guard (Because fluff and that guy), primaris ancient & Apothecary. I'm just wait on a primaris Tigurius and possible new Cato model as i like having the mortal wound capability.

Edited by jonjacob

The Victrix Guard Detachment is going to be lethal. With the Banner of Maccragge Inviolate and the Shock Assault rule, you're looking at Lightning Claws Vanguard Veterans with 5 attacks each!

Power Fists just went crazy too, as 4 attacks each is nothing to sneeze at.

And our Captains just went to 6 attacks potentially.

What a release this could be!

Standard of mcragge and soliders blade are supplemented. Victrix Guard Detachment War lord trait and stratagems where not! we can still get full re-rolls for an assault phase unless this get faq'd

Ways I see if, with the Standard of Maccragge Inviolate being in the Ultramarines Supplement and Vanguard being pretty neat anyway, we should be okay at least a little.

Losing the 2 Strategums is a little bit disappointing but I don't know what we got in exchange to be honest so the jury is still out... but it doesn't look like the formation is necessarily in.

Having said that, technically we can still use the formation in standard new Codex army, so it might not be dead anyway.

Oh it's definitely not dead, with all the buffs we received this formation has a lot of potential. Just thinking about the possibilities of shock assault, the assault doctrine, a chaplain, a standard, stratagem support and three warlord traits (one normal, one from the field commander and one from a stratagem) makes me giggle a bit. If you can find a way to get the vanguard in combat with the right unit, it will be devastating. It should be a lot easier to get them in combat with the +1 to charge from a phobos character, +2 from the chaplain, and if you really want another +1 from Roboute.

They might even survive longer between storm shields, transhumance physiology and other stuff I haven't seen or linked to this yet :biggrin.: .

It's gimmicky, but it can do work for sure. 

The keywords are what give us access to the stratagem and trait as well as being ultramarines. we will still have to pay cp for it.

I was hoping they be in the supplement but then why would anyone buy a vigilus book?

The supplemented relics are improved on the defiant version so you could always stratagem in to supplement version.

The biggest issue is how many decent Strategums we have access to which does make the CPs spent critical.

Also, Field Commander Warden of Ultramar is very important to the formation and I think it's changed in the Supplement?

You can certainly use the supplement and codex to get additional traits but I found nothing so far to suggest field commander in no longer a thing.

So me have warden of ultramar and warden of mcragge. Both unique in name and rules.

I concur with your cp issue being critical.

Also a bike Ancient doesn't have the Angels of Death Key word so all the army Doctrines go...

That is unfortunate! Though this fact might tickle your fancy, the new codex does allow for an ancient in terminator amour.

Edited by jonjacob

Also a bike Ancient doesn't have the Angels of Death Key word so all the army Doctrines go...

That is unfortunate! Though this fact might tickle your fancy, the new codex does allow for an ancient in terminator amour.

If this is true I'll have to convert one up A.S.A.P. for my terminator project. I'm absolutely going to cut up my spare primaris one to make the terminator one.

I don't think there's an official model for a space marine ancient is there?

If this is true I'll have to convert one up A.S.A.P. for my terminator project. I'm absolutely going to cut up my spare primaris one to make the terminator one.

Yes, from Space Marine Heroes Series 2. But I don't know if it will be available in the UK. He's sold out in Japan I believe.

The old command box had a "standard bearer" I have a couple of those plus an old metal one. It would be easy to make a terminator ancient.

I'm really excited for the new rules, but am focusing on my Chaos army right now, so the fun will have to wait for a while.

That is tempting. He can at least drop in close to a force that's attacking.

Daisy chaining your storm shield guys from the ancient might be the way forward. I have been contemplating chaplains and others in terminator armour for when hot drop my Vanguard vet out of the storm raven as transport limitation is limiting.

Edited by jonjacob