The Black Fist (Armoured Company and Co.) WIP

The Black Guard

So I have repainted my Yarrick for a more desert-y theme and also painted up some cadians with Anvil headswaps as the starting point for my army. In the next month or so I will be getting a second hand baneblade (maybe a Fortress of Arrogance conversion...) with some more cadians and also leman russes/hellhounds/etc in the (slightly) more distant future.

I don't have much background on the regiment but it will probably consist of something along the lines of hunting some orks!

Here some photos (still very much a WIP) and as always sorry for the bad quality pics - if anyone has any tips on getting better ones that would be cool.

Yarrick

IMG 3369

IMG 3367

What do you guys think?

I'm using Yarrick as a stand in for my regiment's commander, called Elphinstone.

The Black Fist is an armoured regiment who are from an obscure world called Sionsa, which is a similar world to Mordian, in which it is tidally locked with its sun so one side is permanently dark and other thousands of degrees hot. However it has a very good economy but a small population, mining the diamonds in the ground formed by the extreme heat and pressure on the one side - called the Solaris with the settlements being on the darker side which is called the Noxis. The population lives in hab-blocks mostly concentrated around the mineral mines, but there are 3 major cities which house most of the population. For most of the Black Fist's history they have been an armoured regiment sending yearly tithes to the Imperium, but this changed after Elphinstone rose to power...

There is still much more to come but for now what do you guys think?

(Also happy that Yarrick/Elphinstone got reduced to 100 pts meaning he's a bit more viable in games now!) 

Just a bit more about Elphinstone:

Elphinstone was born into the PDF of Sionsa, before being transferred into the Black Fist at 18. After two years of service as a sponson gunner in a Leman Russ, he was awarded command of his own Leman Russ Punisher due to excellent service. During this time Elphinstone took part in many campaigns and battles, including during the Siege of the Phantomforge. A small number of Leman Russes and Wyverns were stationed there and Elphinstone was in command of them while Company Commander Harlan Cliffe led a team of mortars and infnatry squads manning the perimeter.  As the first Chaos forces began their planetary assault on Cydonia, Phantomforge was quickly under attack and casualties were high. Masses of cultists, daemons and other mutants lay siege to the defenders, who responded with Wyvern and mortar fire while the infantry kept their heads well down. After several hours, they finally broke through the gate, and were met in return by a barrage of fire from Elphinstone's Russes and the remaining infantry who had taken up positions around the gate. The piles of bodies grew ever higher, the killzone turning into a mass slaughter as more and more enemies poured through the opening. Inch by inch they managed to claw towards the Imperial line, and by the next day, the majority of the infantry and Russes were gone but the Archenemy were relentless in their attack which never once stopped entirely. By noon that day only Elphinstone's tank and a wyvern were left, who were holding the outpost at all costs. Just when Elphinstone thought they would be overwhelmed, the attack slackened and then suddenly stopped. But it wasn't over as just a few minutes later a hulking brutish monstrosity came bounding towards them and the fight was on once again. Both the Punisher and the Wyvern poured all their fire into the lumbering juggernaut but it didn't stop that thing. When it was only a few metres away, Elphinstone slammed the tank forwards towards the brute and fired its Punisher straight into its snarling mouth (its weakest area), killing it. It then fell onto the Leman Russ. The attack had stopped so Elphinstone clambered out of the hatch and went over to the Wyvern to congratulate them some ten metres away but the creature's blood must have had some explosive property for the Leman Russ exploded wiping out its crew. Elphinstone watched as it burned, knowing that his crew which were like family to him were dead whilst Imperial reinforcements resecured the area. He swore vengeance on the enemies of the Emperor and began his endless crusade in his new vehicle, the Baneblade Fortress of Defiance

He was famously known for his devastating use of firepower when he was promoted to be in command of several companies of tanks, wiping out key targets efficiently and holding the line at all cost. A few years later he had been promoted to overall commander of the Black Fist, and he commanded his companies of tanks from his Baneblade Fortress of Defiance against the Emperor's foes.

When he was approached by various mercenaries and PMCs willing to fight for him at a a price, he realised he could better serve the Imperium without the endless bureaucracy, whilst making fortunes of wealth. The new Black Fist was born to be an organisation separate from the Imperium, but fighting for them by contacting in other militaries to fight for the Imperium. The Black Fist gains wealth through charging each world they fight on in return for the Black Fist's services - they often comply to their fee due to their fearsome reputation.

I do like some Guard fluff.

Regarding Eliphinstone. I would add a bit about how he gained his promotion through some heroic action. That would let you expand his personal connection to the tank he was in, with it being sacrificed in that fight in some awesome way. Then he could move up to baneblade without worrying about leaving his favourite tank behind.

Looks great!

Hard to see the Executioner turret, have you tried some plasma glow effect on it?

I recently started doing that and quite like the results. It makes them stand out a bit. I was previously just doing them as magnetic coils but the glow can really add something.

No, I still have to finish the Executioner, I will definitely try the plasma glow!

Yeah I've found them to be really effective against tougher targets, especially when you run a Tank Commander/Pask with plasma sponsons and a lascannon, then supercharge, reroll the ones as I usually play as cadians and firing twice (and if you're nasty and you are playing Chaos then Vegeance for Cadia xD)!

I'm definitely getting another Battle tank, but for the Russ after that do you think I should get a demolisher or a punisher?

No, I still have to finish the Executioner, I will definitely try the plasma glow!

Yeah I've found them to be really effective against tougher targets, especially when you run a Tank Commander/Pask with plasma sponsons and a lascannon, then supercharge, reroll the ones as I usually play as cadians and firing twice (and if you're nasty and you are playing Chaos then Vegeance for Cadia xD)!

I'm definitely getting another Battle tank, but for the Russ after that do you think I should get a demolisher or a punisher?

The demolisher/punisher/executioner barrel is really easy to swap, so you don't really have to choose.

Looking good. I like the way the bases match the tan fatigues you have. I also quite like the tank commander, the way he pokes out is quite nice. Is that just the standard one that came with the kit? I have mostly the old style russes and have my tank commanders are a bit more stupid "brave".

A couple of minor points, not really that important but may as well mention them. The plasma sponson and front bolter on your Executioner are upside down. You are in good company though, the official box art originally made the same mistake until they fixed it! You also put the turret hatches on upside down.

Keep at it, definitely coming along. I've had some infantry sat next to me all day that are like 95% done, but just keep finding other things to do! Like posting here I suppose.

Thanks. It is a standard one its just when I was building the tank commander he sort of slid backwards into the back of the turret so he was leaning forwards onto the cupola- this gave the effect of peering over the cupola, which I liked.

The executioner wads one of the first models I built (probably wasn't the best idea lol) so it hasn't been built to the best that it could have been.

I've still got bucket loads of infantry to finish off - they never seem to finish. Here's a few of them that need finishing (I normally play infantry lol):

IMG 3404

Archived