The Black Fist (Armoured Company and Co.) WIP

The Black Guard

As you don't have a great deal of infantry to protect your armour mental fortitude is better I think, keep them in the game as long as possible. It's an interesting list, looks like a lot hinges on Creed for dishing out HWS orders? You don't have a great deal to help keep the enemy back so if they can deep strike etc close in you'll need to clear them out quickly and hope they don't get charges off!

Some observations bearing in mind I appreciate not feasible to get new stuff in a week!

Turning Conscripts into 6x infantry would increase flexibility and allow you to put the special weapons in the squads, increasing their survivability. Creed without Kell can do 4 orders (3 + 1 from strategem) and a 50% chance each time of doing another with Warlord trait. That gives you 6ish. I'd drop Kell.

I know hard to change in real life but HWT as morters gives you some indirect fire.

None of the other vigilus detachments help you really. You don't have any of the models for the artillery one, the Infantry one is CC focus. And you don't really have the CP for a second. Have you factored in the 1CP cost of becoming vigilus detachment?

Bullgryn bomb always fun, but I don't personally think the deathmask worth it. 

So now I've played the game here's my report:

I swapped out a command squad and kell for an eversor and astropath from my earlier 

First of all we were playing Storm the Lines along with the Warquakes which overall was great fun. I deployed my conscripts, special weapons squads, officers and special weapons squads in the first line with Pask, Leman Russ, Baneblade and astropath and primaris psyker in the second. 

My opponent's list included a knight (not sure which one - it had a massive chainsword and flamer), shadowsword, Leman Russ Tank commander, 2 Taurox Primes with scions in and more scions to deepstrike (also a catachan command squad and officer).

He took first turn and moved most of his units across No Mans Land, except the shadowsword which unfortunately had a bead on my baneblade across the board. It was in cover and I used the take cover strategem so I actually got a save (I would have tried to use my psykers to protect it further if I had got first turn). He blew 19 wounds off the baneblade which was annyoing and then the knight flamed some conscipts and the leman russ exterminator took a couple of heavy weapons down.  

My turn involved my baneblade in its secondary firing back at the shadowsord which in hindsight was a bad idea and rather I should have did some damage to the knight since it was the greater threat to the rest of my army with its flamer and chainsword. I did some damage but really it was ineffective since it wasnt enough to put it down a tier. Also my other tanks were in cover from the shadowsword so really it was wasted. I think I need to work on my target priority in the future. Special weapons and russes squad took some wounds off the knight along with massed lasgun fire (about 3 wounds) while my heavy weapons squads targeted the taurox primes and took one out.

I can't remember the rest in much detail (the next turn my baneblade exploded and killed my two psykers) - basically the knight ramapaged around killing troops, HWTs and SWSs until I eventually brought it down with my last Russ. The game ended on Turn 5 and my opponent won since he had deepstriked scions into my deployment zone and I wasn't able to shoot them with my Russ. I think the defining point of the game was that I used my baneblade incorrectly because if I took out the knight maybe a turn earlier I might have been able to counter attack and protect my deployment zones before the game ended. What else do you guys think I should have done differently given the mission. Also I just realised that all of the vehicles which were destroyed blew up including the knight!

It's a good game when you can take some good lessons away :tu: Not having first turn can hurt a lot in 8th (not new though!) and target prioritisation is always a key part of a game; it sounds like your opponent successfully drew your attention in on the Shadowsword but you know for next time now :) It doesn't look like you did too badly though as a rampaging Knight isn't easy to stop and your opponent managed to sneak a unit in to claim victory - always better to lose by a finger than a chasm in my opinion :lol:

Knight tricks?

The knight super heavy walker rule has weird quirk whereby they can leave combat without penalty (fall back) and when doing so can move over infantry units.

However this only applies when leaving combat.

This means you can control a movement phase for knight by blocking, surrounding but keeping +1" away.

Due to sequence of play they have to charge you (after wasting movement/shooting phase) if want to get past you/clear you out.

You can often use this along with larger scenery to create deadzones that knight can't see.

Archived