Chapter Approved Necron Update 2018

NTaW

DOUBLE EDIT: Book has been released so I pulled the pics.

EDIT: My 2k list drops by 225 points according to this. Last time Necrons got a points adjustment (I guess when the Codex came out) my list basically stayed the same. My whole collection just dropped 312 points, which is pretty substantial reductions I'd say.

This isn't bad. Won't make us top tier, unless the current top tier went up a lot. But it's a good step in the right direction! Warriors down 1ppm and Immortals down 2ppm will help run them the way they should be run.

My initial reaction to the vehicles is mixed. The changes could add up to a lot across the board but a lot still seem expensive. We'll have to see. The monolith lost a lot of points but will still probably be a paperweight. It's not cheap/effective enough to bring two and with all the knights and knight killers out there one on its own is a liability.

Anything is better then nothing lol.

I should be able to get an extra unit or two in my lists, which is always a good thing.

Monolith is still overpriced I think.

Arks savings is great

Lychgaurd got points drops in both load outs. The shields point drop is looking good to me.

The stalker may be a viable AT now.

Hilariously heavy gauss cannons now cost the same as gauss cannons....

Well heavy gauss isn't a straight upgrade to gauss cannons. GC is way more versatile and overall useful because you can have so many more shots for the same investment. So I don't think it's strange for them to cost the same, or even if HGC dipped below GC in the future.

I'm most excited I think about the Stalker. Running 3 with gauss is suddenly an option without feeling absurd so we might actually be able to field enough anti armor to matter...

Overall (now that I've had a chance to really look) our vehicles won big time and our infantry won a little. Yeah, the vehicles are still too high but they're a LOT closer to where they should be.

I fixed the pic in the OP since the one I posted was taken down, and I've added the FW unit prices.

I too hope that anti-tank isn't as much an issue as it was before. With my main list I can straight just add my DDA once it's painted and still have room for beefing up my infantry selections. It doesn't change the failings of our weaponry (hard stare at the random shots and 24"-36" range) but at least there can be a bit more of it now.

And if you have 3 Triarch stalkers you're more likely to actually benefit from the reroll ability they have, helping mitigate the randomness. It stinks to blow your reroll in the shooting phase on number of shots and then roll all 1s or whatever and we just don't have any other ways to fix that.

Doom Scythe dropped enough that for Sautekh, three might work now. I'm not big on mixing codes (I don't want to paint them differently and I don't want to get confused) but I might have to try it there.

I would absolutely love to play three Doom Scythes even before they got a points drop (there's a reason I lose a lot of my games :lol:), now that they're 150 per it would take up less than a quarter of a 2k list and there's that lovely stratagem that can really wreck groups of characters hiding among the units they buff. Maybe one day I can borrow a couple off someone for a game..

As for using different Codes I can see how it would get confusing in certain lists. For me it's easy: if the model has a shooting attack it's Mephrit and if it doesn't it's Novokh, with my Doom Scythe always being played out of a Sautekh Auxiliary Detachment.

• 2 weeks later...

I would absolutely love to play three Doom Scythes even before they got a points drop (there's a reason I lose a lot of my games :lol:), now that they're 150 per it would take up less than a quarter of a 2k list and there's that lovely stratagem that can really wreck groups of characters hiding among the units they buff. Maybe one day I can borrow a couple off someone for a game..

As for using different Codes I can see how it would get confusing in certain lists. For me it's easy: if the model has a shooting attack it's Mephrit and if it doesn't it's Novokh, with my Doom Scythe always being played out of a Sautekh Auxiliary Detachment.

I've been thinking about this a lot. I think I am going to start mixing codes the way you do, but I came up with a fluff justification for a splinter group in the dynasty. I'll probably paint one shoulder of those Necrons with a black stripe or something to mark them (or a simple glyph). If the codes change and it's no longer worth it I can either ignore the minor difference or easily paint over it.

I would absolutely love to play three Doom Scythes even before they got a points drop (there's a reason I lose a lot of my games :laugh.:), now that they're 150 per it would take up less than a quarter of a 2k list and there's that lovely stratagem that can really wreck groups of characters hiding among the units they buff. Maybe one day I can borrow a couple off someone for a game..

I've been thinking about this a lot. I think I am going to start mixing codes the way you do, but I came up with a fluff justification for a splinter group in the dynasty. I'll probably paint one shoulder of those Necrons with a black stripe or something to mark them (or a simple glyph). If the codes change and it's no longer worth it I can either ignore the minor difference or easily paint over it.

My biggest beef with my setup is remembering my Overlord can pretty much only use MWBD on my Lychguard or himself since all my shooty gits are a different Code. If I had tesla Immortals I may be more interested in doing things differently but I don't, so onward I go! :lol:

Yeah, MWBD doesn't make a huge difference on Gauss. I really need to bulk out my Tesla Immortals too. I have 5 but I pretty much always proxy my Gauss Immortals as Tesla. It's especially great against Guard and Orks!

I have ten gauss and five to build. I feel like if I give them tesla weapons it will end up with me getting two full squads, plus fifteen gauss could fill my Troop requirement for a Battalion with glorious sameness.

If I had started this army in 8th they would all have been tesla for sure.

I also have 15 Gauss that I wish were Tesla. I think my hobby budget for each of the next three months is gonna be a Doomsday Ark and however many Tesla Immortals I can get with what's left. Or if I get any Christmas money just buy a bunch of Immortals to bulk out those squads. Most of my regular opponents run lots of bodies so they see a ton of use!

I mix codes as well. My fluff is that my Mephrit Overlord slayed the Novokh Lord in honorable combat, and then demanded he swears allegiance to him or else. The Lord then joined his court.

With stalkers getting a points drop, fitting one in is easier MWBD + stalker buff= Hitting on 2s, exploding 4+ tesla.

I haven’t had a game with my crons in a while, but I do really like the points reductions. I still don’t think they’re in the competitive category yet, but they definitely look like they got more fun to play.

My outlook on Codes is that they are less related to Dynasties and more represent effective combat applications. The units in my army have been programmed for optimal efficiency, no need to make Lychguard better at shooting or Warriors better in combat (though honestly if I had to mono-Code it would probably be Novokh).

Agreed. Mine as well. I have a fast moving wing meant to get close and personal under mephrit and a gunline that isnt supposed to move much under Nihilahk. Even painted the same its easy tell them apart. If its a troop or doesnt move its Nihilahk. Is it in your face? Its Mephrit.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems like Necron lists consistently dropped between 200-300 points from what I've seen across forums and Fb groups. Conversely, my Blood Angel lists dropped between 70-150 points only getting up to 200 points deducted in certain lists.

I wonder, will it be enough to level the playing field a bit though. Anyone got some games in since Chapter Approved came out?

One thing I'll say is that 500/1000 point lists became a bit more interesting.

Nice M4M, I'm playing against Magnus and his jerk-bag Sons tomorrow so hopefully we will both have a triumphant weekend. I got absolutely wrecked when I faced Thousand Sons last time, but that was in the Index days.

Well I got a game in and won. It wasn't an overly competitive game but we went to T7 slugging it out. I think that the points drops are very effective in helping out our previous situation despite not changing any rules. Being able to add two units that can focus on high toughness/wound models on top of what I had before made a big difference.

I'm going to try (just like all the previous years) to get in a few more games in this year. I doubt I'll be winning against Knight armies but I think I'll generally be doing a lot better than before, though I am also getting better with in-game decision making and that makes a big difference too.

Sorry, forgot to post my follow up.

Long story short, I played terrible and lost. The new maelstrom mission were your opponent gets to pick your tactical cards is not fun. You both screw each other, and I don’t like that.

My thoughts are similar to yours NTaW. I feel like I can take most of the options I’d like now. If only I could play them better. Lol.

Yeah, I'm very fond of the new Eternal War missions (which I've never been a big fan of) but the Maelstrom (which I always loved since it was introduced) I do not like at all. Every mission seems designed to see who gets more screwed. Not sure why that seemed fun.

Archived