Thinking of starting

BaldrickRSA

Thanks. I heard the game is good so this is great feedback. Just worried about the rule set as I hated 7th Ed. Hoping it’s based on a trimmed down version of the 8th Ed rules. I am also worried there may be two box sets with the one box sets being with 7th Ed rules. Just my paranoid mind........

It plays like 8th edition, but with a few differences, most obviously in the movement phase (which is when charges and overwatch happen). It also makes use of alternating activation in the shooting and combat phases, and the morale phase is different too. Which sounds like a lot, but if you've played 8th, you'll get the base mechanics straight away.

I like it a lot. So does my wife, who's never played 40k, never really wanted to, but likes painting up a few models and then getting a game out of them. half a dozen games in and she's pretty on top of it.

There might be older versions of kill team rules and games kicking about, so the version you want is the Kill Team Starter Box, which includes a squad of Cult Neophytes and a squad of Ad Mech (rangers, vanguard or a mix, depending on how you put them together).

The website for Kill Team is https://warhammer40000.com/kill-team/ . Basically the newest addition has a lot of orange on it. There are 2 boxed sets currently, the main Kill Team (called Warhammer 40,000: Kill Team) set with core book, Kill Teams of Ad Mech and Genestealer Cults, terrain and a game board. The other set is Kill Team: Rouge Trader which has the Elucidian Starstrider and the Gellerpox Infected kill teams, a two sided board with indoor game boards and some terrain for those as well. The rules are definitely based on 8th ed and it is pretty fun. 

The up-front investment is potentially low, if you just pick up the basic rule book and use your own models/terrain to play.  I think it's a great system.  The unit profile template is fantastic for creating  your own house-rules or character creations to really make a personalized experience.  I have a Primaris Deathwatch kill team that is kitted out with all sorts of wargear that isn't technically legal, but it's my house so who cares.

The game definitely uses 8th edition as a base - its core concepts, game philosophy and formatting are the same as 8th edition.  There is only one boxed set of kill team - so no worry getting one based on the 7th ed. rules. 

It's not exactly a trimmed down version of 8th though, as many of the rules are different - in my opinion, in ways that make sense for the small scale of the game.  Examples include:

- you charge during the movement phase, meaning you can't move and/or shoot and charge.

- players alternate shooting much like how melee combat alternates in 8th ed.

- some slightly different shooting rules (-1 to beyond 1/2 range, plasma overheats only on a natural 1)

- rules for models not necessarily being removed from play due to unsaved wounds

- rules for imorale tests for both individual kill team members and the kill team as a whole.

However, even with the changes, it feels very much like 8th.  I hated 7th as well, but quite like both 8th ed. and kill team.

The game is just fantastic, I do recommend when you get it just leave getting commanders too you played a few games.

Getting the terrain sets I couldn't recommend enough, just a great to use and gives a good variety of play. And for Rogue Trader, it's adds such a different element to the game, the characters are fun.

As me I've given myself Blackstone Fortress as a gift from me to me and can't wait to use the models in kill team

Archived