I didn't try and push the posing on this one but the NWB legs are pretty much the same as the reaver, with an additional plate at the back to line up too.

At least these boys aren't going to be running around as much.

I’ve only had a chance to open mine up and inspect the sprues, but am I right in thinking that it’s essentially mono-pose unless you remove a load of locator pegs? And if so, how easy do you think it’ll be to pose differently? Thanks!

I'm leaning towards having a close-in angry WBN, but I'm also looking forward to testing it in an arcus maniple, particularly alongside the Legio Vulpa princeps trait, Cruel.

A D6 scattering quake or Belicosa at strength 11/14 respectively seems like a nice tool to use against Acastus, but am I sacrificing too much to get it in the list?

Edited by Gore Crow

Well I’ve got a couple of spare bellicosas still on sprues. They’re not my favourite guns for Warlords really, and I have built four for my three Astorum Warlords. I don’t think I’ll need one for my Psi-titan or Penumbral Reaper.

The plan is to magnetise the gun at the pivot point and leave one of the side supports unglued from the turret base – probably with a magnet or two if I can figure out how to get them in there. So I’ll be able to take the whole thing apart and replace the gun.

The harder bit will be getting the Bellicosa itself to fit. I can probably find some washers or something to go on either side and I might be able to model cog teeth to go round it using GS and a roller tool. I’ll need something to go where the quake cannon magazines are currently and I’m not sure what that should be. Maybe cooling vanes connected to the gun via cables.

There’s a pretty strong case for waiting to see what the FW one ends up looking like of course. I mostly prefer quake cannons to bellicosas anyway, but I think the big laser makes sense in a Ruptura maniple. I’ve drawn up a 1750 point list for a full one of those with two warbringers and 3 reavers. I’ll probably run the other Warbringer with Quake and two volcano cannons and try to give it the swift killer trait.

Oh yeah I won’t be hacking anything, except perhaps a Bellicosa that I really don’t need. I’ve seen people magnetise the ammo bins for the Warbringer without causing any harm and it looks as if there are holes on the gun that I can just put 5x1 magnets straight into. It’s more that I’ll be building the whole thing using magnets instead of glue!

I'd definitely have to resort to hacking :wink:

I'm leaning towards having a close-in angry WBN, but I'm also looking forward to testing it in an arcus maniple, particularly alongside the Legio Vulpa princeps trait, Cruel.
A D6 scattering quake or Belicosa at strength 11/14 respectively seems like a nice tool to use against Acastus, but am I sacrificing too much to get it in the list?

Throwing an example list together to expand on this; being able to reach out and crit Acastus knights on a 3+ with a belicosa and only a D6 scatter seems pretty good. 

Potential pitfalls would include: no knights to kill or my warhounds being murdered. Blind shots on shieldless engines are only ok and I'd be unlikely to get my points back that way. Losing my warhounds loses me my maniple benefit, but shooting the dogs leaves my punchy reavers unharmed at least.

For those of you who have played more games than me, is it worth considering?

Legio Vulpa

Arcus Maniple:

Warbringer - 430
Bellicosa
Laser Blaster
Laser Blaster
Princeps Trait - Cruel

Warhound - 180
Plasma Blastgun
Vulcan Mega-Bolter

Warhound - 180
Plasma Blastgun
Vulcan Mega-Bolter

Corsair Maniple:

Reaver - 355
Chainfist
Melta Cannon
Turbo Laser Destructor
Disruption Emitter

Reaver - 355
Chainfist
Melta Cannon
Turbo Laser Destructor
Disruption Emitter

Reaver - 355
Chainfist
Gatling Blaster
Turbo Laser Destructor
Disruption Emitter

• 2 weeks later...

I have booked my first AT (and ever) event. I want to take my Vulturum as a custom legio if allowed, otherwise Vulpa. I'm not looking to win the whole thing, but I do want to go big and rip some robots. (eg no lost sons, veteran princeps or elite magos o:)

If anyone has advice about my list, traits/strats combo, or about events in general I'd love to hear it.

Headline: I want to fire warp missiles at one or two targets and heavily damage them, before closing in and chopping survivors.

Legio Vulturum

Trait: Motive Mastery - More reliable charges and strides

Trait: Lust for Glory - Shenanigans

Wargear: Disruption Emitters - CHOP

Strategem: Warmaster's Potion - Slightly more reliable warp missiles

Reaver

Chainfist

Melta Cannon

Warp Missile

Disruption Emitter

Reaver

Chainfist

Melta Cannon

Warp Missile

Disruption Emitter

Reaver

Chainfist

Melta Cannon

Warp Missile

Disruption Emitter

Reaver

Chainfist

Melta Cannon

Warp Missile

Disruption Emitter

Reaver

Chainfist

Melta Cannon

Warp Missile

Disruption Emitter

Unfortunately there isn't a great deal of synergy between the warp missiles and lust for glory. The missiles want to coordinate fire against something to take it down, while I lose the bonus for LfG if someone attacks across princeps' targets. So likely a couple missile targets and a couple glory targets realistically. 

Another issue is that I may not want to fire the missiles on the first turn, making Warmaster's Portion useless. Presaegius' precision volley could be an option but has it's own downsides. I like the idea of the shock and awe of the missiles, but they are a secondary consideration to the close combat.

Let me know if there's something I could do better!

Couple of thoughts on this. I don’t think it’s the most effective way at doing what it thinks like you’re trying to do, so I’ve got a few suggestions. Hopefully this is helpful. It's obviously just my opinion, and may all be wrong. Use/ignore as you wish.

Firstly, I wouldn’t want to field a list featuring five of the same model. It’s impossible to design a “perfect” unit like this that you can just replicate to win. It’s always better to have more options and different tools. Also, spam is just generally not as much fun as having different toys to play with.

Secondly, I’m not a fan of the warp missile approach you’ve gone for, especially with melta and melee weapon. You might get lucky and drop a titan with the missiles, but from that point on all your engines only have their meltas. That’s a really big problem because you’re never going to get through the enemy’s shields. Meltas are great when they hit a titan’s body but useless when they don’t. Your set up will be pretty good against knights (though advancing towards knights isn’t always a great plan) but not great for anyone else.

I basically don’t like warp missiles much. I think it’s intentional that you’re so unlikely to be able to drop a titan with them – except perhaps a warhound - on turn 1. Anything but an engine kill is going to feel like a waste. So personally I’d just give any other

If you want to go for a bunch of melee reavers then I recommend going with either Vulpa or Gryphonicus. A Gryphonicus Ferrox maniple is great because you can replace a warhound with a Reaver (so you can have 3 instead of the usual 1) and give it the boosted leg reactor upgrade. You also get +1 strength up close and use your BS in melee, so power fists hit on 2s.

Vulpa are also accurate and can hit harder with their disruption emitters – though note that disruption emitters alone only give you 1 more strength than the Ferrox maniple would add, and they cost 30 points instead of 0. They’re best when combined with Vulpa’s better WS up close. Also the Ferrox maniple adds to the strength of guns as well as melee weapons, so long as your reaver is within 8” of its target.

I’d consider some guns other than meltas. Don’t get me wrong – meltas are great, but up close so are gatlings and laser blasters have their uses too. Gatlings are great shield-breakers and also perfect for targeted shots at a location that you’ve just smashed up with a melee weapon. The major downsides of meltas are that you’re likely to a different location to the one your charge attacks got and that you might melt yourself. Indeed today’s FAQ clarifies that if you fire a blast weapon at a target within 2” and it scatters back onto you, your own void shields don’t save you.

Thanks for your thoughts!

So for starters I can understand how that list looks when you haven't been looking at it for a while like I have! I definitely should have expanded into why I picked what I did. 

Firstly, I am super into melee orientated armies - always have been. The Ferrox is a great maniple but I feel like I'm taking those three warhounds just so I can have two reavers with CC weapons, so I went for the corsair.

Regarding the loadouts - if I could take barebones reavers with a chainfist I would! I went with the warp missiles because they're quirky, cheap and ignore shields. I did start off equipping gatling blasters because they were also the cheapest arm weapons I could take, but why was I taking them if most of the weapons I brought didn't care about void shields anyway? They also left me ~125 points below the cap so I upgraded to meltas on the off chance I need to fry some knights rather than punch them. You do make a good point about shooting the gatlings point blank.

It is definitely a one-dimensional approach I've taken to building this list, and I understand how you might feel about me trying to side-step (at full speed) a core mechanic of the game - I can only assure you that I have played normal matches with normal balanced titan forces before. :laugh.: BUT I'll take it on board if you think either I, or my opponent, wont have fun.

Edited by Gore Crow

Cool ok then. I don’t think this will be a non-fun army for you or your opponent. The thing about variety is more a personal preference of mine.

I think the list would probably be more effective overall if you ditched the warp missiles and replaced them with VMBs and turbo lasers, and maybe gave some reavers gatlings.

I see where you’re coming from on the Ferrox warhounds… kind of. They can’t fight all that well in melee but they’re insanely dangerous up close. Chucking out S11 blasts inside a target’s void shields is very unpleasant, and following that up with targeted VMB or turbo laser shots makes an engine kill very likely.