What does CA change for us?

Medjugorje

So from what I gather Vindicator didn't get a points drop, still looks like 125 (although the pic I saw was rather unclear on just that part of the leaked page). And I don't think there's much chance of a profile change either. Jeez. And also no point drop for Spartan. It is sooo overcosted. Why oh why did I buy the damn thing (well maybe because it wasn't 8th edition back then yet...). At least some other vehicles like Land Speeders in my crusade did get a drop. And of course the regular Land Raiders, but they're still so vulnerable to being bogged down by enemy infantry in CC.

I found something very Templar - like. 

What is a unit we ever wanted to play but it was too expensive all this years ---> Sword Brethren with Sworts/Chainsaw + Stormshields... They are now playable -->

Black Templars: Patrol Detachment - 1140 Punkte 949 now
***************  2 HQ ***************  
High Marshal Helbrecht  - - - > 170 Punkte 150 now

1 Lieutenant, 1 x Master-crafted boltgun, 1 x Power sword  - - - > 67 Punkte

***************  6 Elite ***************  
Vanguard Veteran Squad
10 Veterans, 5 x Chainsword, 5 x Storm shield, 8 x Chainsword
+ Sergeant, 1 x Chainsword, 1 x Thunder hammer  -> 16 Pkt.  - - - > 201 Punkte 166 now

Vanguard Veteran Squad
+ Sergeant, 1 x Chainsword, 1 x Thunder hammer  -> 16 Pkt.  - - - > 201 Punkte 166 now

Vanguard Veteran Squad

5 Company Veterans, 4 x Storm shield, 4 x Chainsword
+ Sergeant, 2 x Chainsword  - - - > 100 Punkte 78 now

+ Sergeant, 2 x Chainsword  - - - > 100 Punkte 78 now

+ Sergeant, 2 x Chainsword  - - - > 100 Punkte  78 now

Black Templars: Patrol Detachment - 1140 Punkte 949 now

***************  2 HQ ***************  

High Marshal Helbrecht  - - - > 170 Punkte 150 now

1 Lieutenant, 1 x Master-crafted boltgun, 1 x Power sword  - - - > 67 Punkte

***************  6 Elite ***************  

Vanguard Veteran Squad

Any chance you could elaborate a bit on this ? I'm trying to figure out the 10 Vets. 5xChainswords plus 8xChainswords ?!?!?!?!?

Are you equipping 4 Vets with two CS ?

Thanks

2-point storm shields for non-characters do seem pretty nice indeed, I will certainly end up making use of even more of those. Definitely would be nice for Biker Brethren especially... if I ever get them painted. I'm kinda bummed on that given they're an Index option now and therefore not even allowed in local tournaments for example. Frickin' GW and their annoying model-rule-practises.

I do like the Dreadnought price drops too. Like your regular assault cannon + fist + storm bolter is down a good 20 points, about the same for an Ironclad. Getting them to combat is of course still as problematic as ever. Again, frickin' GW for cutting the twin autocannon codex option. But luckily the ranged options that still do exist have dropped too.

Index options are perfectly legal and I'd refer anyone who says otherwise to the flow chart about them published by GW

Tournament organizers can opt to disregard such things. No FW and no Index flowchart allowed here. From what I've read banning Index flowchart stuff is hardly rare in the tournament scene, though I'm not sure of FW's wider status currently... but the Spartan is my only FW unit anyway, and they didn't fix it at all. Of course for "friendly" local games people still allow both sources here. Then again with the current state of marines - which I'm not sure how much these drops will change - I haven't really been into joining tournaments with them, while my other armies aren't painted enough. Next tournament being in January, I might do a marines + Guard combo though to try it out. I was thinking Sisters + Guard originally but it seems the Sisters may in fact be becoming worse in the beta codex.

Anyway, while I love the twin autocannon dakka dread, I suppose at least these points costs make the other shooty dreads more reasonable comparatively too, considering the twin autocannon option naturally doesn't get a point drop. Just that the dakka dread works reasonably against both light vehicles and infantry targets, while something like lascannon + missile - now cheaper than the dakka one - is more anti-vehicle. Ah well. I guess I could at least add some dakka-Land Speeders now for a more reasonable cost, seeing as HB+AC is only 2 points more now than just HB was before!

IIRC (source: YT/ winters' review of CA18) Intercessor sergeants are to be allowed a chainsword or powerfist. If that is the case, we have an incident of GW going against the approach of only releasing rules for what's in the box.

Not quite... There are upgrade sprues for those options now.

Archived