Discussion post points CA leak

Iron_Within

Firstly, no I won't link to them, please don't ask.

Second, I'm feeling a bit salty

Both loyalist and chaos terminators got points drop however ours cost 5 points more.

Cultists went up as expected went up a point (naturally other horde armies did not

I'm of the neutral camp on this one for now.  Units I like to use like Talons (pretty sure), raptors, and the defiler went down...but no changes on actual CSM, like you said still more expensive terminators than loyalists, and now more expensive cultists.  I'll make my full verdict once everything comes out and I can play a game.

I'm becoming hard pressed to keep playing my NL this edition.  My DG on the other hand...

Chaos Terminators dropped by 3 points to 28, Loyalist Terminators dropped to 23. Stormshields on units for loyalists dropped to the old price of a Warp Bolter

If that's true, the new base cost on Scarab Occult Terminators will be cheaper than standard Chaos Terminators.

[i just find the photos, the Scarab Terminators are actually more than sites were claiming and are not cheaper than regular termies.]

The chapter approved kept points changes from last year’s CA, too. So if the points are different from the Codex, they are in here even if they didn’t change this year (I think...?)

I could be wrong...

The chapter approved kept points changes from last year’s CA, too. So if the points are different from the Codex, they are in here even if they didn’t change this year (I think...?)

I could be wrong...

LOL I didn't even thought of that. You're right.

Combi-weapons dropped as well for termies.

Also, Chosen are now only one point more expensive than CSM with an extra attack, leadership and melee weapons plus a lot of options.

On one hand I can understand why Chaos termis are more expensive due way better support available (Stratagems, Psychic powers, everyone can have combi weapons) but on the other hand it's of course the wrong place to slap those costs on. 

Other than some really weird things like CSM not getting a drop at all (Chosen are 1 point more now, why would you ever take regular Marines?) and Terminators being more expensive than the loyalist ones, it seems overall to be good changes.  I don't think it will change the current cultist spam lists, but having things drop in points can only be a good thing,.

For comparison: 

Scarab Occult Terminators are now 30 points (down from 33)

Chaos Terminators naked are now 28.  
Raptors are identical to their loyalist counterparts at 15 (down from 17) 

All better than before certainly, but not great. 

SfPanzer I believed they were more expensive for the same exact reason. We have an opportunity cost built in due to custom load outs for each member combined with damage based strategems and powers that function very well. 

On the whole, points changes are neither here nor there since most armies got some.

What's more interesting to me is how these affect the internal balance of the codex. Looking forward to using Khârn and Possessed again, for example.

I think the points changes are a wash for CSM in the end. The more competitive armies all got similar points drops as well. So basically, we can just take more stuff but are still at the same power level.

I'm kinda looking forward to using lucius the eternal now that it looks like he is basicly getting a 25% points drop

I always use him in my EC lists so I am very pleased to see that drop. I just wish they would beef up his profile to reflect how awesome he is in the lore.

For comparison: 

Scarab Occult Terminators are now 30 points (down from 33)

Chaos Terminators naked are now 28.  

Raptors are identical to their loyalist counterparts at 15 (down from 17) 

All better than before certainly, but not great. 

SfPanzer I believed they were more expensive for the same exact reason. We have an opportunity cost built in due to custom load outs for each member combined with damage based strategems and powers that function very well. 

Space Wolf termies are the same cost as SM and also can take combi weapons (and 2pt stormshields!). We never paid extra for our terminators before :(

My overall impression is that instead of spamming cultists, we're now gonna want to use MSU cultists for battalions, and then spam helbrutes and daemon engines. There may be a role for chosen special weapon squads.

And Khârn is insane at 120pts!

Archived