SW Page from CA

Fire Wolf

Did the Big FAQ not up the maximum models count in Skyclaws packs to 15 models? Because this has them back at 10.

I wouldn't worry about that - if there were a rules change involved, it would have been called out. It's entirely possible that Chapter Approved was already sent to the printers before the Big FAQ 2 was dropped.

I hope your right, would be annoying if they changed it every two months

I don't get some of the small changes, such as the Servo Arm going to zero or the standard vengeance launcher getting a discount. Are things like this just evidence of copy paste to tantalize us or are we supposed to subtract the new total from the model in question? Iron Priests are cheap, getting a further discount....well......I'll gladly take it!

Just wish CA had some rule changes, mostly TWC outflanking. Then again when MWG went to GW HQ and asked a lead if balancing could be resolved with just point changes he said yes. I disagree, sometimes a unit purpose is a necessary rule or wargear option and not just a point change.

Example: reivers would be great, if they had melee options other than pistol/knife.

I don't get some of the small changes, such as the Servo Arm going to zero or the standard vengeance launcher getting a discount. Are things like this just evidence of copy paste to tantalize us or are we supposed to subtract the new total from the model in question? Iron Priests are cheap, getting a further discount....well......I'll gladly take it!

Yes? That’s literally how list building works.

Yes? That’s literally how list building works.

Apologies, that was posted rather late and I wasn't thinking clearly. To clarify my thought I was thinking of models where the upgrade is built in, such as the Iron priest. You don't actually purchase the servo arm separately. In this instance do we subtract the points from the "base" cost of the model?

Two things.

1 - Skyclaws is most likely a QA mistake. They did copy paste the vast majority of this, and is easily explained this way why it is 10.

2 - Storm Shields, ALL OTHER MODELS, emphasis mine, as English, requires that it also applies to TWC as well.

Hm...

No, the storm shields don't apply to TWC. The TWC storm shield has a separate entry. The existing codex entry says 'all other models' right now and it doesn't apply to TWC. This line in chapter approved replaces that line in the codex, not the TWC line.

No, the storm shields don't apply to TWC. The TWC storm shield has a separate entry. The existing codex entry says 'all other models' right now and it doesn't apply to TWC. This line in chapter approved replaces that line in the codex, not the TWC line.

Ah, my mistake.

Well, TWC may have been overlooked. Why I have no idea.

It's probably just that I'm jaded, but I believe TWC were "overlooked" because the rules guys don't actually play the game and are still operating under old reports that Thunderwolves are omfgoverpoweredlolroflcopter. I'm surprised they didn't make them more expensive or decrease their movement again or add a rule that says, "cavalry units cannot move through any terrain." I'm just glad they didn't get another nerf because while I still won't use them, at least I don't have anything to be more bitter about

No, you don't buy an Iron Priest's servo arm separately, it's just included in the model. You can't subtract the cost if you never paid separately for the weapon.

Ulrik didn't get cheaper because plasma pistols went down in cost.

This servo arm discount only applies to servitors.

What?

You do have to pay for all the wargear on an iron priest.  The cost given literally says "does not include wargear."  His wargear on page 92 of the codex includes a servo arm.  If you didn't do this previously a badass super killy iron priest would cost 45 points and would be spammed in every single army.

The cost of a servo-arm on page 143 was 12 points and sucked because he also had a thunder hammer or tempest hammer....so points for no benefit (unless you faced a rare unit that could disarm a weapon).

So ya Iron Priests got cheaper as a result of this servo-arm change because now the servo-arm is free 

Ulrik doesn't get cheaper because he is a special named character and his points expressly say "including wargear"

TLDR-Iron Priest BUFF and point decrease

Thunderwolves are unplayable this edition, just like drop pods, centurions, grav weapons and other good units in 7th edition because many people bought them back then. What a surprise.....

PS: we are not talking semi playable but unplayable for goodness sake

Ah, my mistake.

TWC were overlooked because whoever does the rules doesn't play the game.

Storm shield (Thunderwolf Cavalry) (page 144 of our codex) is a unique space wolf entry and you can't copy/paste what was done for the vanilla marines 

The storm shield (other models) in a Space Wolf codex does NOT include TWC.  It doesn't override or interact with the existing SS-TWC entry.

I would bet money the FAQ fixes this oversight

Ah, my mistake.

TWC were overlooked because whoever does the rules doesn't play the game.

Storm shield (Thunderwolf Cavalry) (page 144 of our codex) is a unique space wolf entry and you can't copy/paste what was done for the vanilla marines 

The storm shield (other models) in a Space Wolf codex does NOT include TWC.  It doesn't override or interact with the existing SS-TWC entry.

I would bet money the FAQ fixes this oversight

I hope you're right

No, you don't buy an Iron Priest's servo arm separately, it's just included in the model. You can't subtract the cost if you never paid separately for the weapon.

Ulrik didn't get cheaper because plasma pistols went down in cost.

This servo arm discount only applies to servitors.

What?

You do have to pay for all the wargear on an iron priest.  The cost given literally says "does not include wargear."  His wargear on page 92 of the codex includes a servo arm.  If you didn't do this previously a badass super killy iron priest would cost 45 points and would be spammed in every single army.

The cost of a servo-arm on page 143 was 12 points and sucked because he also had a thunder hammer or tempest hammer....so points for no benefit (unless you faced a rare unit that could disarm a weapon).

So ya Iron Priests got cheaper as a result of this servo-arm change because now the servo-arm is free 

Ulrik doesn't get cheaper because he is a special named character and his points expressly say "including wargear"

TLDR-Iron Priest BUFF and point decrease

Yeah, my bad. I was looking in battle scribe and it didn't have any options so I assumed it was included in the base points cost. They just included the wargear in the entry already paid for.

I don't think that TWC got overlooked because they don't play the game. I think they got overlooked for two reasons.

1) The game they play isn't reflected by us for the most part. I really think that they test the armies that suggest you start with (gathering the packs) and thunderwolves are going to do fine in games of that nature. They aren't going to accomplish much against 32 guardsman, knights, and smash captains which for some people is what they have to deal with. Its going to take GW awhile to figure that out.

2) Thunderwolves and Wulfen role overlaps and I think they want to sell more wulfen. I wasn't a fan of the models and felt no pressure to buy them because thunderwolves were good in my meta (which was mostly formation free tbh). So I don't know how well that kit has done, and I could see GW pushing it because it is a plastic kit. 

My 1500 pts list went down 51 pts with chapter approved i hoped to be more but it is what it is. I am going to use those points to turn my 2x twin heavybolters to 2x twin multimeltas on the stormfang. You get 9 strength 8/9 shots with ap -3/-4 , D6vdamage ,hitting on 3s on a units that has -1 to hit, 14 wounds and can reach anything first turn for 295 points. Pretty scary to me :smile.:

Spacewolf rune priest pay 2 more points per force/runic weapon because they have a 2+ weapon skill unlike the space marine librarians who have 3+ i think , so all is good 

PS : one more unit that got buffed is the twin las/ missile launcher dread that now costs 120 points for 3 antitank shots, pretty decent

It may be, given the lag time between when they work on a book and when it's published, that the SW book hadn't come out yet or maybe it was out but not for long enough for people to have played with it, etc. In such a case, they may have deferred any SW book changes until the next update (and just gave SW the SM changes). I don't think there are a lot of Ork changes in there either.

Wolf Guard terminators look like they might be viable again. The price cut on Power fists and storm shields make both SB/PF and Hammernator builds 6ppm cheaper (a price cut of around 15%).

While not enough to set the competitive scene aflame, I think they are at least viable and you can take them in a list without feeling that you are actively hamstringing yourself.

Spacewolves were not included in the chapter approved because the codex was not out yet, all the changes were copy paste from marine ones while vanila, blood angels and dark angels have point changes to chapter unique units ,characters and wargear (the wolves unique units, characters and wargear left untouched). Thats the reason why dark eldar, imperial knights etc got nothing also where they shpould get point increases here and there

makes me a little disappointed to be honest. I appreciate the point drop on our termi's and stormsheilds.

getting cheaper storm sheilds for out WOlf gaurd squad leaders is atreat.

and I think I like Saga of the Savage.

Archived