Chucks for teeny tiny (0.3mm) drillbits?

Evil Eye

I recently bought a replacement for my ancient GW hand drill, and to my satisfaction discovered it came with two double-sided drill chucks (one fits in the handle), thus allowing me to make use of the smaller drill bits in my micro drill set (at least, once I've pried the ludicrously tight sliding cover open anyway). However, much to my annoyance, the smallest chuck setting is still far too large to hold the smaller drill bits, some of which are absolutely tiny (0.3mm to be exact!). I looked on Amazon and couldn't find any chucks suitable for holding anything quite that small.

Am I looking in the wrong places or do I need a purpose fit drill for bits that small? (In case you're wondering why I'd even need to use a drill that tiny I reckoned it would be good for pinning very small connections with wire, such as the finger claws on the FW Keeper of Secrets.)

Strictly speaking, sounds like you have a pin vice with a pair of collets and an outer collar, and you need a smaller diameter collet. 

The only collets that are trivially available at really small bit sizes are usually for dremels, which may, but usually won't, fit in a pin vice; someone else may be able to find straight collets.

The simplest option is to wrap the shank (the non drill end) of a too small bit in some tape with a grippy top surface such as normal painters masking tape or duct tape - that will make the bit fat enough to be held by the collet, though a certain amount of slippage is still possible.

Another option is to get a set of cheap PCB (circuit board) micro drills, either in that specific size or a set of say 0.1-1mm. These come with a much fatter standard shank, regardless of the drill size, and are usually carbide coated so nice and sharp. They are brittle at that small a size though, so drill gently.

pcbdrill

Yet another would be to get a jeweller's pin vice with fixed collet in the size you need. These are often hollow so they can hold wire etc rather than just a drill bit, but do work.

While a collet pin vice is perfectly fine most of the time, you could also get a 3-jaw keyless chuck pin vice - these will hold any drill bit that will fit in between the jaws; here's one example.- you can also get bigger ones for chunky drills.

Pin vice chuck

Archived