Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Return of Index Astartes

Index Astartes White Dwarf

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Felix Antipodes

Felix Antipodes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 592 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Might
Was going through the Dec White Dwarf and on the coming next month page was:

'The return of Index Astartes'

maybe they do listen to the fans after all.

The question will be whether it's new stuff or reprints of the old stuff.

Edited by Felix Antipodes, 08 December 2018 - 07:48 AM.

Azaiel

Azaiel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 228 posts
  • Faction: Deathwatch

'The return of Index Astartes': Now with a new Primaris formula! whistling.gif

Edited by Azaiel, 08 December 2018 - 07:53 AM.

• BrotherAtrox, Quixus and Volt like this

Comandante Alexos

Comandante Alexos

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts
And maybe some new sprue to customize your chapter... Please, Iron Hands..
  • Felix Antipodes, Captain Smashy Pants, Firepower and 4 others like this

"You are my unbroken blades. You are the Death Guard. By your hand shall justice be delivered, and doom shall stalk a thousand worlds."

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 721 posts
AND Salamanders. Reguarding Index Astartes, hopefully they’ll include all the original stuff, while at the same time incorporating the newer stuff. For example the could include the process for creating normal Astartes AND Primaris. I’m still going to keep my eye out for the original Index Astartes books, they were great and I’m still kicking myself for not picking them up when I had the chance.
  • SickSix likes this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,224 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus

As a huge fan of the old Index Astartes who still reads them to this day, I'm going to keep my expectations very low for this, just in case, but I'm also ready to sing GW's praise if they knock it out of the park.

• Race Bannon, Felix Antipodes, Kriegsmacht and 3 others like this

bl-logo.jpg

The Unblinking Eye
A (perpetually inactive) blog about 30k & the Sons of Horus 29th Company

Cyrox

Cyrox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,019 posts

I've still got two of the Index Astartes books - annoyed i didn't get all 4

"I remember when Ragnar Blackmane had blond hair and this was aaaallll fields....."

gallery_60566_6038_4617.gif tn_gallery_60566_6038_42067.jpg gallery_60566_6038_1993.gif

Subtleknife

Subtleknife

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 379 posts
What did these books do must have been when i took a hiatus

Dam13n

Dam13n

++ CÆLATOR ALTRICES ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,368 posts
  • Faction: The Scions
Let's keep the discussion friendly please. Further bickering will not be tolerated.
  • Lieutenant Arkley and duz_ like this

Captain Smashy Pants

Captain Smashy Pants

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 721 posts

What did these books do must have been when i took a hiatus

They were a compilation of Index Astartes articles originally published in WD. Each article was on something to do with either SM or CSM. Some dove into the various aspects of the fiction only, like the creation process of a space marine, or a piece of war gear or a vehicle they use (I still own a WD from the time that had an IA article about predator tanks, as also the issue that the release the model for the predator)’ where as others had rules as well, I remember owning the one about the Flesh Tearers, where they went briefly into the background of the chapter, what they were up to no, the problems they faced with the black rage and red thirst, and then they had a variant army list for the FT that altered the rules and army composition based upon the 3rd ed BA codex. Incidentally, this was where we were introduced to Gabriel Seth for the first time, and there was a really cool black and white portrait of him, although the rules and model to represent him didn’t come out until much later, in the 5th ed BA codex, IIRC.
  • Subtleknife and Osteoclast like this
gallery_62972_14467_3390.jpggallery_62972_14467_13489.jpggallery_62972_14467_3390.jpg

I do find it hilarious that some people were saying the size of newer marine stuff looks great next to regular humans like Cadians, and then GW upsized the humans so they are the same height as marines again :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 20,470 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

The early Index Astartes articles published during 1st edition ("Rogue Trader era") presented the Badab War, apothecaries, etc. These were later reprinted in Index Apocrypha (or whatever that book's name was - the hardback book reprinting a lot of the 1st edition WD lore articles). The 3rd edition redux included articles on chaplains, librarians, the process of making Space Marines, dreadnoughts, etc. The focus during 3rd edition, though, was on the 1st Founding Legions (and their 2nd Founding namesakes) and the most popular of later Chapters (such as the Blood Ravens, Relictors, Black Templars, Flesh Tearers, and Crimson Fists) and some renegades/heretic Astartes. There were also articles about the Chapters participating in the Third War for Armageddon and the Thirteenth Black Crusade of Abaddon the Despoiler (which is where we learned about the Astartes Praeses).

It would be nice to see the older articles updated, but I'd also like to see GW give a little spotlight to minor Chapters. Where the 3rd edition method seemed to be giving as many Chapters special rules as possible, I'd prefer to see them focus on the character and background of Chapters. Chapter tactics would be great, but I'm not going to hold my breath for that. It would be very nice to see updates for Chapters that have taken hobbyists' imagination and which have been featured in fiction - Celestial Lions, Silver Skulls, Iron Snakes, Exorcists, etc. Perhaps GW could even take the various Badab War Chapters that had really nice articles in books that are no longer available and give them the Index Astartes treatment. I would love to see an article on the Judged/Abyssal Crusade, and the Relictors/Fire Claws deserve an updated article (personal wish-list items, don't judge me).

I have no doubt that we'll see some Primaris-only Ultima Founding Chapters featured, but I doubt that we'll see a focus solely on those Chapters.

I'm curious if the Index Astartes article for the Emperor's Spears, as featured in the limited edition of A D-B's Spear of the Emperor, will be reprinted as a White Dwarf Index Astartes article. The part of me that shelled out $140 for the book is mildly perturbed about that thought, especially since that article was a huge selling point. Then there's a part of me that doesn't mind the wider hobbyist community having access to the article through WD (since such an article won't have the production value of the LE version). At the very least, perhaps an article on the Chapters that guard Elara's Veil would be nice.

• Warhead01, Felix Antipodes, Captain Smashy Pants and 2 others like this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_14910_14794.png

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,516 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
The last Index Astartes article in White Dwarf was on the creation of a Space Marine and included additional details on the creation of a Primaris added in. It had no Chapter information/details.

Take that for what you will.

I wouldn't expect new Chapter stuff, that way it will be interesting to you if it is that, but you aren't disappointed if it isn't.
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners
Posted Here: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the War and Wolves): PCA WiP Forum
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Brother Adelard

Brother Adelard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,276 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
That was a reprint of the original article, with some new updates for Primaris, I hoped they would continue in that vein but it wasn't to be. Until now it seems

WD generally is a lot less fluffy than it used to be.

O787td6.jpggallery_38474_6916_6036.jpg

Aramis K

Aramis K

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 527 posts
  • Faction: Ω XX Ω
I think Warhammer Conquest next delivery for subscribers is due to include a new poster showing 100 different chapters.

I wonder if that's getting featured in White Dwarf.
I'm on Instagram as Aramis_esq

Mentor Legion, Deathwatch, and bastard geneseed log
"Officially, they were designated the Unnumbered Sons of the Primarchs, but they called themselves the Greyshields. They were the new sons of old science, and they had no fraternity but their own."

My Heresy Alpha Legion log - XX in progress

Tylydox

Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 706 posts

When they printed the initial four volumes of the Index Astartes, there were hints that they were also planning the Index Xenos series as well.  Hopefully this is the beginning of the new series.

• Comandante Alexos likes this

Sign my petition about Collaboration between Games Workshop and Hasbro to create My Little Pony in WH40K Universe

: https://www.ipetitio...p-and-hasbro-to

LetsYouDown

LetsYouDown

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,592 posts
  • Faction: Legio Vulpa
We technically already have a new Index Astartes for the Emperor's Spears, packed with the LE Spear of the Emperor. I wonder if that's going to be released in another format. The timing is too perfect

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 20,142 posts

We technically already have a new Index Astartes for the Emperor's Spears, packed with the LE Spear of the Emperor. I wonder if that's going to be released in another format. The timing is too perfect

And it's really really cool!

Hopefully we get some more chapter tactics too....!

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,982 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
Awesome! Hopefully they’ll be as good as the old ones.

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,809 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

While Index Astartes was great, I also kind of blame it for being too heavily focused on Primarchs thus being the precursor of the quality lore being front loaded onto the Heresy period. Not that the Heresy fans don't deserve good lore but having a setting where events that should have passed into myth are all that's really solidly hashed out hurts the 41st millenium.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,982 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment
The Indexes are like a chapter’s histories as that chapter would understand them in universe. We know about Achilles origin story and that was four thousand years ago or something crazy.
  • Son of Carnelian and sfPanzer like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Triszin

Triszin

++ MODERATI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,638 posts
Would be awesome if the index astartes has rules for chapters.

Emperor's Spears. Carchadons, raptors and so on
  • Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch likes this
banana

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,929 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

This x 10

-~Ishagu~-

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,290 posts

Yea that’s what I envision it is based on my xp. One of my first armies was DG when it used the index article in WD and was considered a “cult” army.

I predict it’s going to be the primaris wave 2 delivery vehicle. I hope it’s not just a one and done thing though, I loved what it added to the game.

Not getting my hopes up though.
  • Triszin likes this

Vel'Cona

Vel'Cona

++ DUCTOR EXSANGUIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,811 posts
  • Faction: Chaos Space Marines

Sounds like a good "return to form" to me.  Hoping for some fun new rules and maybe even units/characters :)

• Marshal Rohr likes this

Seems like these models will never end!

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_02.jpgETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_10495.pngETL_Medal_02.gifETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_01.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Index Astartes, White Dwarf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users