Master in Terminator Armour instead of Belial?(DW pure list)

Eldorien

Hello guys.

With the CA reduction of costs, Im just recalculating the points of my pure Deahtwing list...

There are a lot of saving points here, and I was thinking to replace Belial (150 p) with a Master in terminator armour with Heavenly Sword or the stormbolter relic (101).

Considering that Deathwing is not very good in competitive terms, and we need all the points that we can to include more Land Raiders and terminators (or Dreads), I think that loosing to rerolls the 2s for 50 points might be viable...for me, for example, it allows me to include another Land Raider with the 4 lass cannons...(ofc also with the reduction of points on tartaros, contemptors and DWK).

What do you think?

For the Lion!

I saw somthing about these new points yesterday, but being out of the 40K loop now for a couple of editions, wasn’t sure what it was all about.

But I think anything that helps the expensive Deathwing get a decent break is worth following up.

I would have no probs fielding a generic DW Master - indeed have always prefered such an option over a named non-cutomisable version that was forced upon us with Belial.

So if it is now a legal option then go for it

I get the sense that Belial only makes sense if you’re spending the stratagem to make your land raiders and dreadnoughts deathwing. Otherwise only giving terminators re-rolls doesn’t seem worthwhile. But then you’re blowing all your CPs....

Dropping Belial in with a 10 man squad of termies with all the firepower they can bring is the best way to make the most of Deathwing Assault. It has been close to securing me a win once or twice, but only close. At least now the squad is quite a bit cheaper. 10 bolter guys with power sword on the sarge and 2 cyclone launchers clocks in at 411 points, 492 pre CA. Belial is of course another 150, but you can really lay down some hurt with him on the field. If the three CP is worth it, is another matter. But it does feel cool and beneficial while you pull it off. But then, right afterwards, you just know you needed those CP for something else :)

So take the thought even further - why do a Master in Terminator Armour, why not just go Master with Jump Pack? You would lose the Inner Circle ability and Deathwing keyword, but if you're just there for the re-roll 1's to hit...

My personal view on Belial is that he's worth the extra investment in points. Re-roll all failed hit rolls means that your heavy weapons get more of a chance to hit when deepstriking. The Sword of Slience is better than the Heavenfall Blade due to the always wounding on a 2+ and not having to pay more CP's for it - quite key when you already burn 3CPs to do Deathwing Assault! Lastly, enemies are at -1 to hit in the fight phase...this turns him into a surprisingly effective melee unit.

For ultimate effectiveness, you can also drop in a Lt with Jump Pack too. It's a big points investment, but can have a devastating effect in turn 2 once the battlefield has settled down a bit...

Archived