Vox Cast: The Repository Thread

Slips

Yeah based on what he said, they probably did start off as a range refresh, and he is remembering the details from when he was first doing the concept designs a few years ago, and perhaps isn’t entirely au fait with the exact details of how they are now.

He mentioned a Primaris serum at one point, but we know there is no serum involved in making Primaris. Also the way he was talking about new armour and old armour mentioned above, makes me think originally it was designed as an upgrade and new gear for all marines and every marine would have been upgraded in a rolling update in universe rather than how things have turned out now with Primaris being a hidden creation in stasis for 10k years.

It probably started out when profits were falling in the old GW peak Kirby era of a few years ago, as a ‘how do we up profits, I know let’s replace every marine kit so they will have to buy all their marines again muhahaha’ type thing, but then Kirby went and things got better, and the studio realised it was a bad idea to do that.

Oh yeah I totally forgot to mention the serum thing. Typing on my phone is hard enough as is (this forum seems to eat up a lot of ressources and I don't have the very best phone so the keyboard app becomes gradually slower while replying here until it freezes completely lol).

It really seems like Goodwin is a bit out of touch with their current version of Primaris lore. Probably because they went through so many different ideas over time and he's been working on other things for a while already (just a guess on that part).

not because im heavily invested in tin foil hats...  but maybe its because he is 3 or 5 years down the road where all the marines are becoming primaris and hanging onto their lucky pauldrons and their covetted mk3 helm that was worn at the siege of terra... etc.

not that its definitive, but its like psykers looking into the future they see different versions.  so his head is full of dozens of alternative conflicting ideas and paths to take the setting down...  he is some parts "when" we are not yet, and some parts "when" we will never be..

Edited by Canadian_F_H

I think the Primaris are GW’s answer to true scale marines, that’s kind of obvious and goes without saying.

If they are working 3-5 years out, then the timeline (rw) works out. True scale marines grew out of the Inq28 community, which is another thing GW have just come to the party with Rogue Trader.

So the studio (imo) is mimicking the community. It’s also true that the community mimic the studio, and especially the artwork.

So for me it’s a real shame about the fluff behind the primaris. GW’s writing has always been bad, not very good at least. But something went severely wrong this time.

The primaris to me represent a changing of the guard. Out with the old and in with the new. Both in the studio in terms of the way the miniatures are made, and also in the real world in terms of marketing to a new (younger) audience.

From the interview it sounds like they were only intended to be an upgrade for marines, but somehow they have been twisted into all our replacement for marines.

Just my speculation

Because of my previous job/s, I've had the opportunity to meet several celebrities (Drake, Niki Minaj, Anthony Joshua etc.) and can honestly say that I've only ever been starstruck ONCE in my life and that was when twelve-year-old me got to meet Jes Godwin at Gamesday! :biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.:

I'll have to sit and have a listen to this at some point, love the design discussions stuff in white dwarf so the podcast interview sounds right up my street.

I still don't really get the moaning about Primaris as the 'replacements' - speculation was always that there may be a way to turn current marines in to primaris, and now it is confirmed with Calgar and the rubricon.

The 10k-years stasis army just helped ramp the Primaris up in the setting to sufficiently beat back 'the big bad' enough for the imperium to consolidate - and to explain the sudden big release of the Primaris. It's a combined plot/business narrative and little else, and from the sounds of it Jes confirms that.

People have mentioned it above and maybe it’s a bit ‘Kremlinology’ but the way he talks about Primaris Serum and marines holding onto the helmets and paldrons from their old, smaller armour makes it seem like we’re about to see lots of normal marines following Calgar...

Doubtful, because we know Marneus was converted by difficult and risky surgery, not a magic serum.

which is the current lore but the plot changes their first draft which we know is years old could have been as simple as a few shots in the arm heres a lolly pop little marine  now go play outside.

I think the Primaris are GW’s answer to true scale marines, that’s kind of obvious and goes without saying.

If they are working 3-5 years out, then the timeline (rw) works out. True scale marines grew out of the Inq28 community, which is another thing GW have just come to the party with Rogue Trader.

So the studio (imo) is mimicking the community. It’s also true that the community mimic the studio, and especially the artwork.

So for me it’s a real shame about the fluff behind the primaris. GW’s writing has always been bad, not very good at least. But something went severely wrong this time.

The primaris to me represent a changing of the guard. Out with the old and in with the new. Both in the studio in terms of the way the miniatures are made, and also in the real world in terms of marketing to a new (younger) audience.

From the interview it sounds like they were only intended to be an upgrade for marines, but somehow they have been twisted into all our replacement for marines.

Just my speculation

I think what really helped the older fluff was just how much of if it they would recycle. The would take an interesting piece and try and make it better. Where as with the Primaris stuff they just threw it out there and kept moving.

At a certain point I think as a community we do need to try viewing Primaris as a reinforcement not a replacement as GW has stated. I just feel like too many people are looking for things that suggest otherwise, and they've convinced people that the Primaris are the replacement and that may lead to it actually happening. You see threads about people looking for safe armies to start, and it feels like the people who don't want the change are the ones nailing the coffin shut. 

Just my speculation

I think what really helped the older fluff was just how much of if it they would recycle. The would take an interesting piece and try and make it better. Where as with the Primaris stuff they just threw it out there and kept moving.

At a certain point I think as a community we do need to try viewing Primaris as a reinforcement not a replacement as GW has stated. I just feel like too many people are looking for things that suggest otherwise, and they've convinced people that the Primaris are the replacement and that may lead to it actually happening. You see threads about people looking for safe armies to start, and it feels like the people who don't want the change are the ones nailing the coffin shut. 

If the Space Marine range hadn't been so popular then GW wouldn't have had any qualms about re-doing it completely instead of giving us a 'half measure' in the form of Primaris. Astartes are a victim of their own success in many ways, and all I could think of when listening to Jes talk about Primaris was how awesome things could have been if they'd just chosen to re-do 'proper Marines' instead.

On another note, I don't think Jes gets half the recognition he deserves for his work on the Dark Eldar range. He did an amazing job on those miniatures! 

EDIT: I'd love to see them do a podcast with the guys who are behind the awesome terrain kits we get these days.

Edited by Master Commander Ajax

I guess it's just me, but I took the "serum" comment far less literal than everyone else. It felt like he was speaking to the metaphor of change going on in the Adeptus Astartes and Guilliman's reforms to space marines from the Primaris, rather than the actual transformation of the Astartes.

Finished watching the full thing and by the Emperor, Jes is absolutely the man. He speaks about 40k like a guru atop a mountain. He's seen it all come and go and now he shepards in the next generation of designs and sculptors. Awesome.

Was I the only person who found this incredibly hard to listen to? I was looking for a subtitle option. From what I could understand from the deep voiced mumbling mode of speech from Jes it sounded like a good interview. I am not trying to insult him but it was very hard to understand what he was actually saying.

Hopefully we get a subtitle option in the future.

Was I the only person who found this incredibly hard to listen to? I was looking for a subtitle option. From what I could understand from the deep voiced mumbling mode of speech from Jes it sounded like a good interview. I am not trying to insult him but it was very hard to understand what he was actually saying.

Could it be your setup? For example, some things try to put most of the speech through the centre speaker of a 5.1 system, which can cause it to be really muffled if you are not using one or have the modes mixed up.

Could it be your setup? For example, some things try to put most of the speech through the centre speaker of a 5.1 system, which can cause it to be really muffled if you are not using one or have the modes mixed up.

I appreciate the technical question. I have regular speakers for my desktop PC. I asked two people to come listen to it and they could understand what he said even less than I did. I listen to podcasts daily and never have an issue.

I appreciate the technical question. I have regular speakers for my desktop PC. I asked two people to come listen to it and they could understand what he said even less than I did. I listen to podcasts daily and never have an issue.

I would check out sound setup. Have you tried listening to it at a friends, or with some earphones on a different device? That would show if it is just your computer, unless they coincidentally had exactly the same problem I guess.

No problem here either.  

Maybe a combination of the voice and the accent? What nationality are you guys?