Vox Cast: The Repository Thread

Slips

Listened to this on the commute to/from uni, really interesting stuff and a nice relaxed listen. As others have said, the way he looks at things from a very ground-up approach, taking ideas and semantics from our history and distorting them, rather than a direct transplant was an interesting discussion and does, of course, prevent very 'flat' army themes. The comments regarding Primaris currently being all shiny and clean, simply because they are still young and haven't accumulated their grim reliquaries and fetishes was good to hear and hopefully indicates some darker, gothic veterans as future kits, as they get dragged through the mirk of Imperial dogma/traditions.

Safe to say, I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment.

Well he actually said that the Primaris look so clean on purpose because it gives them room to have higher ranked Marines more decorated without them looking like, quote: "a christmas tree". He didn't name examples but I'm sure we all know a few ourselves.

He also talked about them keeping things like helmets and pauldrons the same size so they end up with better proportioned models instead of just bigger ones and so Marines are basically able to go "No, I don't need no new MkX pauldron. I'll keep my lucky MkIV pauldron instead" which either means Primaris originally were designed as just new type of armour (which fits with something he said earlier about the design for Primaris having been mostly finished for years already) or it implies that even regular Marines will eventually go through the same process as Calgar ... or both.

Edited by sfPanzer

Jes Goodwin is a god as far as I am concerned. He has been a delight to talk to the times I have had the chance. 10-15 years ago he used to occasionally come to Denmark as a special guest to a Warhammer tournament, and as I am as fast/bad player, and my games where over quickly, I got to spend some quality time with him,

Really enjoyed it and am a big fan of Wade being the host. He’s really good on WHTV and obviously has an amazing amount of knowledge and passion for the subject matter and his dry humour is perfect for my tastes (some podcasts hosts can be a bit too ‘animated’ for grumpy old me). Some great thoughts and tidbits from Jes.

What an incredible listen. Goodwin has such a way of not only designing, but explaining his though process behind everything. I love the way he clearly thinks out the depth of history in 40K - like how Mars has probably been terraformed several times, with most of those being forgotten. It's little bits like that which give 40K a sense of verisimilitude that's rarely been equalled.

...I also love how they apparently can't get Jes to say "Aeldari" or "Drukhari." Just "Eldar" and "Dark Eldar," as it should be. Warms my heart.

It was a great interview. I’ve been pouring over the old White Dwarf that Wade mentioned at the end, with some space wolves that Jes kitbashed for the 3rd edition release. (I would upload photos of the article if posting pictures wasn’t so difficult here from my phone.) Back when they first released the space wolves upgrade sprue which was the only type of accessories for space marines for so many years. Really warms my heart that they even mentioned it.

That particular spread is a special one for me, too. There's a Space Wolf with a Power Fist in there, and the accompanying call-out explained how by just tilting the torso a bit and letting the fist "hang" in a particular way, you got an immediate visual suggestion of its weight. Obvious stuff, I guess, but it's one of the earliest hobby lessons I ever had, and remains one of the most important.

I'd love to see that.

That’s all I got. I’m on my iPhone only. Posting pictures to the B@C seems like a major chore.

I have imgur but I can only copy links into threads.

None of pictures have ever uploaded to the B&C gallery, they are too big.

It sucks because I really want to share my work here, I may have to go to the last library on Sundays just so I can use the wifi and use my laptop to blog here.

How to ppl upload pictures to threads here from iPhones? Why is life so difficult.

(The mods deleted my earlier replies to that guy, which is probably for the best - I’m ignoring him now.)

Yeah based on what he said, they probably did start off as a range refresh, and he is remembering the details from when he was first doing the concept designs a few years ago, and perhaps isn’t entirely au fait with the exact details of how they are now.

He mentioned a Primaris serum at one point, but we know there is no serum involved in making Primaris. Also the way he was talking about new armour and old armour mentioned above, makes me think originally it was designed as an upgrade and new gear for all marines and every marine would have been upgraded in a rolling update in universe rather than how things have turned out now with Primaris being a hidden creation in stasis for 10k years.

It probably started out when profits were falling in the old GW peak Kirby era of a few years ago, as a ‘how do we up profits, I know let’s replace every marine kit so they will have to buy all their marines again muhahaha’ type thing, but then Kirby went and things got better, and the studio realised it was a bad idea to do that.

I liked the insight into how primaris will develop. He basically said although they look new and clean now cause all their gear is new, as time goes on they will start to have more armour decoration and variant parts like normal space marines. That is a good thing imo, they need the variation.

While I think that idea makes sense in the abstract, the problem is that the kits have already been designed. We have intercessors and hellblasters that all look the exact same. Same chest eagles, same lack of other iconography. So unless GW branches out into primaris veteran sternguard/vanguard equivalents with more variation/decoration, then i'm not sure where the variation will come from.

Edit: spelling

Presumably there will be more kits that bring this out. There could be other kits coming in standard mk10 that aren’t intercessors or helblasters with different weapons, that would have more bling and variation. Or they could do veteran kits as you said.

That’s all I got. I’m on my iPhone only. Posting pictures to the B@C seems like a major chore.

I have imgur but I can only copy links into threads.

None of pictures have ever uploaded to the B&C gallery, they are too big.

It sucks because I really want to share my work here, I may have to go to the last library on Sundays just so I can use the wifi and use my laptop to blog here.

How to ppl upload pictures to threads here from iPhones? Why is life so difficult.

(The mods deleted my earlier replies to that guy, which is probably for the best - I’m ignoring him now.)

You can just link pictures from imgur directly here. Take the image url directly (usually ending with .jpg or .png) and put it between [ img ] tags or use the "image" button in the reply box (not on mobile).

Cool thanks guys. Yeah I’ve tried using the full site mode to upload to the gallery, my pictures are always “too big to upload”

I can do it on imgur on my laptop, with wifi - just don’t have access at the moment.

Not to worry, I’ll just go to the library on Sundays. See you in the WIP forums soon!

You can just link pictures from imgur directly here. Take the image url directly (usually ending with .jpg or .png) and put it between [ img ] tags or use the "image" button in the reply box (not on mobile).

I've found it doesn't like https, although just deleting the s fixes it.

If I ever felt compelled to visit Dignitas, my final mood music would be Jes talking at length. No injection required, I'd just forget to eat.

Yeah his voice is great to listen to, isn't it. :D

Cool thanks guys. Yeah I’ve tried using the full site mode to upload to the gallery, my pictures are always “too big to upload”

I can do it on imgur on my laptop, with wifi - just don’t have access at the moment.

Not to worry, I’ll just go to the library on Sundays. See you in the WIP forums soon!

You can also set the gallery to private. It still links fine but no comments and doesn't show up on new posts.

Yeah based on what he said, they probably did start off as a range refresh, and he is remembering the details from when he was first doing the concept designs a few years ago, and perhaps isn’t entirely au fait with the exact details of how they are now.

He mentioned a Primaris serum at one point, but we know there is no serum involved in making Primaris. Also the way he was talking about new armour and old armour mentioned above, makes me think originally it was designed as an upgrade and new gear for all marines and every marine would have been upgraded in a rolling update in universe rather than how things have turned out now with Primaris being a hidden creation in stasis for 10k years.

It probably started out when profits were falling in the old GW peak Kirby era of a few years ago, as a ‘how do we up profits, I know let’s replace every marine kit so they will have to buy all their marines again muhahaha’ type thing, but then Kirby went and things got better, and the studio realised it was a bad idea to do that.

Oh yeah I totally forgot to mention the serum thing. Typing on my phone is hard enough as is (this forum seems to eat up a lot of ressources and I don't have the very best phone so the keyboard app becomes gradually slower while replying here until it freezes completely lol).

It really seems like Goodwin is a bit out of touch with their current version of Primaris lore. Probably because they went through so many different ideas over time and he's been working on other things for a while already (just a guess on that part).

Yeah, Jes sometimes doesn't get his 'facts' right, but it's clear he has a far greater understanding of the nature of 40k's visual mythology than anyone alive. I suspect he goes off-script in more than a handful of instances, drawing attention to in-universe contradictions, tacitly addressing design criticisms (offering a few himself) and openly talking about 'handwavium'.

I thought it was nice that he didn't come across as corporate and you could see the artistic tangents he kept going off on. I can totally relate to the GW era he is coming from.

It is a real shame that the sculpting techniques have moved on in some respects, I'd love to see some new old school putty pushing stuff from him.