Vox Cast: The Repository Thread

Slips

YO DAWGS I HEARD YOU WANTED MORE WITTY ONE LINERS BUT SADLY I DONT GOT NO WITTY ONE LINERS SO HERES A WITTY ONE LINER ABOUT ME NOT HAVING A WITTY ONE LINER

Anyways, episode 8 with Max Faleij

I've listened to enough of these now to offer an opinion and the final verdict is I like these a lot.  For starters the host Wade is actually really good.  He knows to let the guest talk and only step in when needed.  Too many hosts end up speaking more than their guests!

As for the content, it does exactly what it set out to do: Give the listener an insight into how the various design teams work together to make a final product.

There are even some little snippets of information about upcoming releases if you pay attention.  Mainly from the model designers (Jes particularly), due to their being a bit more hazy over release schedules.  A lot of things they have worked on and consider a completed project have not yet been seen.

If you're expecting direct answers to player's rules concerns and blatant spoilers for releases you're going to be disappointed.  Also no sane employee is going to criticise their company on a show like this.

Saying that, it's nice to hear that so many GW staff have been involved in the hobby for so long and are probably not actively trying to sabotage the whole thing as 'the internet' would have you believe. :biggrin.:

I've listened to enough of these now to offer an opinion and the final verdict is I like these a lot.  For starters the host Wade is actually really good.  He knows to let the guest talk and only step in when needed.  Too many hosts end up speaking more than their guests!

As for the content, it does exactly what it set out to do: Give the listener an insight into how the various design teams work together to make a final product.

There are even some little snippets of information about upcoming releases if you pay attention.  Mainly from the model designers (Jes particularly), due to their being a bit more hazy over release schedules.  A lot of things they have worked on and consider a completed project have not yet been seen.

If you're expecting direct answers to player's rules concerns and blatant spoilers for releases you're going to be disappointed.  Also no sane employee is going to criticise their company on a show like this.

Saying that, it's nice to hear that so many GW staff have been involved in the hobby for so long and are probably not actively trying to sabotage the whole thing as 'the internet' would have you believe. :biggrin.:

I'd agree on all fronts there, Wade is a solid host and it's been really interesting to gain an insight into how it all works behind the scenes. I was surprised to discover how closely involved 'Eavy Metal are in design, etc.

I've even started listening to the AoS equivalent and I don't even play, or know much about it.

Could definitely listen to a few more with Jes, incredibly interesting fellow.

Yeah, that’s my fav episode so far. As said above Wade is a great host. His 40k knowledge is genuinely scary sometimes as well, even pulling WD issue numbers out of his head when a guest mentions something.

But Dan is obviously so comfortable talking about his craft (probably all the comic con panels) that it was a different level to the usual guests. Jes gave great insights into a few modelling things, but Dan really made me think about some 40k things in a different way. Just brilliant.

He was an especially interesting guest after last week’s Stormcast with John Blanche which should never have been released as an audio version. (Maybe if I’d have watched the video version it would have been a lot better but you can’t do that while driving and I didn’t feel like sitting through it again...)

Loved the Abnett one - surprised to hear how much he was essentially treading water with the setting in the early days of Black Library.

The "Abnett-verse" was pretty openly acknowledged by hobbyists at the time, most of the early Gaunt's Ghosts stuff only vaguely touches on actual 40k stuff, you could change the few references to Chaos and "Future-Weapons" to something period appropriate and it wouldn't be too far off being a set of Sharpe novels.

I do believe he's a very talented writer, but early on I'm pretty sure he almost wrote with place holders for proper nouns and phoned his editor to fill them properly.

For the time, for Black Library, that actually worked as it made the books more approachable. Some of the stuff before then was absolute drivel.

Rik

Another great episode with lots of interesting titbits to reflect on. Wade certainly didn't have to work too hard to keep his guest talking (lol). The best bit was saved for last though, when Dan was asked where he would like to go next if he had a choice; the Scouring or the Unification Wars. Yes, please!

I want unification, it could be a good experiment in game types and lore, overall a new product line that could be brought into BL, GW, and FW (I want the unification black book style lore :p), The scouring is also something I'm looking forward to. Sounds like it will be a next step sort of thing, another series ala The Beast but not as long as the Heresy. Bring on the IRON CAGE!

Loved the Abnett one - surprised to hear how much he was essentially treading water with the setting in the early days of Black Library.

The "Abnett-verse" was pretty openly acknowledged by hobbyists at the time, most of the early Gaunt's Ghosts stuff only vaguely touches on actual 40k stuff, you could change the few references to Chaos and "Future-Weapons" to something period appropriate and it wouldn't be too far off being a set of Sharpe novels.

I do believe he's a very talented writer, but early on I'm pretty sure he almost wrote with place holders for proper nouns and phoned his editor to fill them properly.

For the time, for Black Library, that actually worked as it made the books more approachable. Some of the stuff before then was absolute drivel.

Rik

First and Only was either the first or second BL novel released, with either the first or second being the first Ragnar novel.... I'm not sure what was 'the stuff before'? There were only the shorts in Inferno. Which really do stand the test of time, mostly, as short pulp stories.

2101640.jpg

s-l640.jpg

Rik

First and Only was either the first or second BL novel released, with either the first or second being the first Ragnar novel.... I'm not sure what was 'the stuff before'? There were only the shorts in Inferno. Which really do stand the test of time, mostly, as short pulp stories.

They may not have had the Black Library label but there was plenty of GW literature prior.

Rik

The Ian Watson ones are the novels that come to mind.

Rik

It's interesting - i've never had this take on it - though what you say makes sense.

In my head the codexes were there along with a handful of novels and someone approached Dan Abnett and said write us some stuff. Then at some point later GW/BL got a little more refined editorially about what they wanted such that the divergence between Abnett-Verse (which is pretty much 40k) and 'mainstream' 40k became apparant.

That being said, I don't think I read 40k between Ian Watson and Horus Rising (it was certainly after the full Eisenhorn Trilogy had come out) so I missed the nuance.

Edited by Rob P