Vox Cast: The Repository Thread

Slips

Is anyone else devastated there is an ADB essay on Abaddon being passed around that we will never get to see? My ‘hobby’ is the lore more than anything else and deep dives, non-narrative analysis into the characters are what I want more than anything. Really makes me sad.

Sort of.... but not really. I really didn’t get along with his initial interpretation of Abaddon but loved his second attempt. Would I love to see his essay on Abe? Sure but sometimes you can be so utterly disappointed by such reveals I just find as hard as it can be, it’s sometimes best to leave the curtain closed on such details.

I’m probably way off base but the closest comparison I can think of is the ‘force’. I had all these fancy , far flung, big picture ideas on what the force came from, then Lucas revealed ‘metachlorines” or whatever and I can’t shake that terribly disappointing theory since. Sometimes I’m okay not knowing the entire magic behind a process and this might be one of them.

Btw don’t get me wrong I’m on my third reading of Black Legion and really enjoy it. (Dying to see part three).

it was a good and fun listening but i get a bit ragey because apparantly each time someone does anything with his hands on the table, the sound of the table getting hit translates to the mics... they had this already in an earlier episode i think and it is a major bummer for me, especially as they are really trying to be professional with good mics and all.

did anyone else notice that too?

Yeah, it was more pronounced with Aly Morrison and Jes I think. Both wear some jewelry I think, bracelets and rings, that tend to cause some minor noise. But I never found it much distracting. Matter of fact, it helped me picturing the scene better on my drive to work. :)

Is anyone else devastated there is an ADB essay on Abaddon being passed around that we will never get to see? My ‘hobby’ is the lore more than anything else and deep dives, non-narrative analysis into the characters are what I want more than anything. Really makes me sad.

Sort of.... but not really. I really didn’t get along with his initial interpretation of Abaddon but loved his second attempt. Would I love to see his essay on Abe? Sure but sometimes you can be so utterly disappointed by such reveals I just find as hard as it can be, it’s sometimes best to leave the curtain closed on such details.

I’m probably way off base but the closest comparison I can think of is the ‘force’. I had all these fancy , far flung, big picture ideas on what the force came from, then Lucas revealed ‘metachlorines” or whatever and I can’t shake that terribly disappointing theory since. Sometimes I’m okay not knowing the entire magic behind a process and this might be one of them.

Btw don’t get me wrong I’m on my third reading of Black Legion and really enjoy it. (Dying to see part three).

I don’t think ADB is the type to show the man behind the curtain. If anything it would be a brilliant and incisive retrospective on things we already know and how they all connect together. The guy is a genius and gets 40k like no one else. Anything he writes about it would be another layer of depth or color to setting that really needs it right now.

It would be cool to peek behind the veil but frankly I'd rather see it in implementation in the actual books first. Not for fear of simple plot spoilers - I mean we already know how Lheor dies, for example - but because seeing the changes in the Abbadon/the Black Legion unfold and become apparent to Khayon over the course of multiple wars/character moments/books is this series.

The scraps ADB put up on his blog were great but seeing the thought process that goes into all this would benefit from coming at the end, with the caveat that that end is admittedly a long way off.

We don't talk about metachloriens. It never happened. ;)

I do agree that some things should be kept behind closed doors. But I definitely raised my eyebrows when they mentioned the essay.

I don't know where his Siege of Terra novel fits in, but I do think he's mentioned that the sequel to Spear of the Emperor is coming before the third Black Legion novel.

(Side note: it would be nice if they included the same Index Astartes pamphlet and transfer sheet in the limited edition of any sequels, wouldn't it?)

He always gets down on himself about how slowly he writes, but he has published at least one novel a year since he started teen years ago - Cadian Blood, Helsreach, The First Heretic, Blood Reaver, Soul Hunter, Void Stalker, The Emperor's Gift, Betrayer, The Talon of Horus, Ragnar Blackmane, Master of Mankind, Black Legion, and then Spear of the Emperor last year. So, we might not get another one published this calendar year, but still!

ADB and I have unfortunately clashed on rare occasion when it pertains to Abaddon but I liked how he spoke of the man with the black hat in the interview.

I personally enjoyed that he seems to see the Black Legion as a full sized, real threat to the Imperium. I also like how ADB would refer to the relationship Abe has with his lieutenants.

One thing I really want to see ADB write (of Abaddon specifically and the Imperium generally) is that Abaddon is 100% correct; that the Imperium is 100% wrong, that the Emperor was also wrong. Even if it’s just for a moment.

Although he didn’t come and say how or why, I like the mention of how Abaddon cannot be swayed by any one Chaos god. (Talk about a bizarre version of being in-corruptible!) I like to think Abe’s hatred for everything the Emperor took from him is the reason for that grim determination, but I wish ADB would have told us his take on why that is.

Well that was a pleasure to listen to :wub:

he is such a humble guy, yet such a great writer... 

I have read all his stuff... but now after seeing him in an interview... I'd love him as a brother in law :laugh.:  

Mithril

One thing I really want to see ADB write (of Abaddon specifically and the Imperium generally) is that Abaddon is 100% correct; that the Imperium is 100% wrong, that the Emperor was also wrong. Even if it’s just for a moment.

But that would be a lie? The Emperor might not have been correct (impossible to tell without revealing way too much obviously) but whoever uses the forces of Chaos and rips open half of the galaxy is obviously not correct either. ^^

That being said, I also like how he said that the very reason why Abaddon is so successfull is also the reason why he can't win. The chaos gods give him all the power but as long as he doesn't dedicate himself to one of them they won't give him what's needed to actually reach his endgoal on his own. ^^

Well. Having finally watched both voxcast:ADB and SoT:ADB interviews i can finally respond to these comments constructively.

Regarding wanting ADB (or anyone else even) to give Abaddon that validating moment of vindication regarding "the emperor was wrong"

ADB said in his SOT interview and they brought it up again in his voxcast interview. The thing about the whole 40k setting is that everybody is wrong. I havent read every single black library novel by far, but at least a dozen at thus point, and having witnessed countless debates here plus many many hours of lore dives on things like 40k wikis, and of course decades of hobbying and perusing whitedwarfs, index astartes, and codexes from 2nd thru 8th edition. It has been shown, demonstrated, hinted, implied etc, that everyone is wrong.

So i think we will eventually see perhaps in the black legion series, the "gotcha" moment of vindication where the emperor is demonstrably wrong! The obvious 40k twist will come immediately after where Abaddon is of course also wrong!

What was the Emperor wrong about though? The webway? He wasn’t, the Emperor was wrong about the Primarchs to an extent, but they worked exactly as intended until other factors caused the endeavor to collapse and even then - the ones everyone :cuss on in Master of Mankind continued to work exactly as intended even after the Heresy. Was he wrong about not letting the Primarchs know the full nature of chaos, arguably yes, but also no. It’s an objective truth in 40k any knowledge of Chaos is a vector of corruption (as proved by the limited knowledge the Primarchs had ultimately being the agent for their own corruption). In 40k everyone ends up being wrong, because on any timeline in reality or fiction everyone ends up on the wrong side of a choice eventually. There isn’t one overriding ‘right’ in 40k because there isn’t one overriding ‘right’ in life. ‘The Emperor is an idiot’ meme is a projection. It’s not really true. The Emperor made decisions that didn’t work out. That’s not idiocy as much as some people want it to be the case. Edited by Marshal Rohr

It's hard to tell whether the Emperor was wrong with anything because he's this enigmatic character with secret knowledge of the future, the past and other dimensions that likes to play the VERY long game. We simply don't know what of everything is part of his plans and still within tolerance or how it would be without his plans. Would it be better? Would it be worse? Who knows, he's doing that stuff for way too long already without telling anyone the whole truth.

He's the one playing chess against multiple opponents at the same time and everyone else is either just a piece on the board or at best also spectator who just joined that can only speculate about the purpose of the moves he did until now and what his next ones might be.

Ahem, anyway. A bit offtopic I think. :sweat:

Yeah. I think that in brief it is valid on-topic discussion because it was in the interview, but as a full discussion it would definitly be better in its own topic.

Where tho? Amicus? Black library?

But that would be a lie? The Emperor might not have been correct (impossible to tell without revealing way too much obviously) but whoever uses the forces of Chaos and rips open half of the galaxy is obviously not correct either. ^^

That being said, I also like how he said that the very reason why Abaddon is so successfull is also the reason why he can't win. The chaos gods give him all the power but as long as he doesn't dedicate himself to one of them they won't give him what's needed to actually reach his endgoal on his own. ^^

Of course it would be a lie! That’s the point! The greatest villains are filled with their own twisted version of ‘truth’.

I would love for ADB to show us Abe’s truth. To show us how right Abandon’s truth is, and how righteous his morals really are. The Emperor was a selfish, power hungry glutton that abandoned him and his gene father. I think ADB has the ability to write the book that has us thinking.... gees ... maybe Abaddon is right? Maybe he has a point? Maybe Abaddon is a monster, but is the Emperor really on moral high ground here?

I don’t trust many authors to write that story. It could go terribly wrong. But I think ADB could pull it off.

And yea, that delicate balance of how Abaddon wins favour of all but master of none... let’s be honest, it makes for a much more interesting story if we believe...if we know that Abaddon will still figure out a way to win.

Have you read Master of Mankind yet because the Emperor is not shown in that light.

There was some interesting things but some of it I’ve heard before (how Custodes fight for example)

and knowing he isn’t all that much into Marines even though he writes about them overall I was disappointed in the end since he made such a thing about Marines in the interview.

Edited by Black Blow Fly

Have you read Master of Mankind yet because the Emperor is not shown in that light.

There was some interesting things but some of it I’ve heard before (how Custodes fight for example)

and knowing he isn’t all that much into Marines even though he writes about them overall I was disappointed in the end since he made such a thing about Marines in the interview.

He always seems like he’s holding back from saying what he really thinks in interviews. It’s a real loss to not hear his unfiltered thoughts :(

I love ADB but Master of Mankind, Black legion and Spear of the Emperor were to me not as good as his earlier work. For me I prefer the plotting of the earlier work, which is a little more straight-forward. What I like most are when he discusses 40k and gives great insight into, for example, the logistics  and politics of being a chaos space marine. I wish he still posted here but he mainly posts on reddit now.

Well as he said ... he's under 4 NDAs right now. ^^

Did you think I didn’t hear that?

I love ADB but Master of Mankind, Black legion and Spear of the Emperor were to me not as good as his earlier work. For me I prefer the plotting of the earlier work, which is a little more straight-forward. What I like most are when he discusses 40k and gives great insight into, for example, the logistics and politics of being a chaos space marine. I wish he still posted here but he mainly posts on reddit now.

It’s disappointing :( His insights are so freaking brilliant.

Well as he said ... he's under 4 NDAs right now. ^^

Did you think I didn’t hear that?

No I didn't. I just thought that he's holding back from saying what he really thinks for an obvious reason he even stated at the beginning so it's not really a "seems like" case.