Vox Cast: The Repository Thread

Slips

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I thought he had some difficulty there, too. Dave was nice enough, just not very chatty, made the whole conversation somewhat sluggish. It wasn't bad, but you could feel that some guests just are more comfortable in such situations than others. 

To be fair, one communicates with words endlessly, the other pictorially. Perhaps a better medium for someone like Dave would have been something akin to what they did with John Blanche? Live sculpt? Edited by Brother Adelard

I agree, it might just not be his medium, which is absolutely fine. Though I have to say, the Blanche casts were incredibly annoying to listen to as a podcast. So much so, that I never finished them. Which is a shame, because I love his art and would have loved a "normal"-style conversation, because the guy is a legend with an incredible amount of insight into 40k as a fictional visual universe. It's just, as you say, that purely words are not his medium, he literally will draw you a picture of what he means and envisions. 

In fairness besides Blanche not being all that chatty, you could tell he was having some difficulty with it, possibly because of the his stroke from a while back. It definitely didn't work as an audio podcast but I thought having him go all Bob Ross was inspired. I'd recommend going back and trying the videos out, possibly on a higher speed, it's rare to see a livedraw setup with someone as veteran as he is.

It was pretty interesting to see them very clearly draw a line between matched play and narrative play, and good natured dig at the American playtesters thinking tactical squads in Rhinos was 'narrative'. Jim saying if you want to make a new unit, to take the points costs for the weapon you want and add them to the cost of the model was nice too. The American gaming scene is so pick-up game driven something like this would never fly, but its nice to know they intend for people to do things like this with their friends. I wonder if all of them being so immersed in the hobby and game 24/7 has kind of detached them from the reality of most gaming groups. A bunch of randoms who aren't actually friends meeting up at a game shop to play a game they scheduled through social media. 

Very nice to see the official stance of the studio and some more ideas of the thoughts that drives the studio's design philosophy.

Too many people act like matched play is the only intended way to play, so hearing them encourage people to go nuts with their collections is great.

Edited by Fulkes

Its nice i can attribute that quote to Jim now, i know ive mentioned it a lot over the years since frothing to him about 8th when it first came out :D I) was hoping it would pop up in a C:A by now as a narrative system for VDR by now though.

Very nice to see the official stance of the studio and some more ideas of the thoughts that drives the studio's design philosophy.

Too many people act like matched play is the only intended way to play, so hearing them encourage people to go nuts with their collections is great.

The part where he said you’ve got the points for weapons and the points for models is sure to make some WAAC eyes bulge, but now you can justify taking weapons that aren’t on datasheets for things like Templar Primaris.

I listened to this week's cast this evening. I really enjoyed it, that part about experimental play being encouraged in particular. It's a laudable approach, and one which would help a lot with, for instance. chapters waiting for their supplements. Such as the disparity between new Chapter Master auras, and old Chapter Master auras. Or the problem with Crusader Initiates still being 13 points, when Tactical and Assault marines are 12.

The part where he said you’ve got the points for weapons and the points for models is sure to make some WAAC eyes bulge, but now you can justify taking weapons that aren’t on datasheets for things like Templar Primaris.
Yup. Just maybe not to a tournament unless you have permission.

Oh for sure. It seems like they don’t get matched play outside of cut throat organized events. One thing I’ve noticed is that they almost never reference pick up games. The first time I can recall was when Sam Pearson said you can play Warcry with another Warcry player and your objectives contribute to your warband territory even if you’re not in the same campaign group. I know Ben Johnson talked heavily about tournaments, but the whole conversation was geared towards events/organized and not pick up. This is really starting to convince me that the idea of walking into a store, finding an opponent, and dropping your army on the table is not how they intend the game to be played.

Circling back to the using points and mode costs added together to build lore accurate narrative armies- I’m far more comfortable buying an army for 8th now. I’d been putting off buying more Primaris after the dark Imperium box until we got straight datacards for close combat units, but now I don’t see any point in waiting and just building an entirely legal narrative play force.

One thing I’ve noticed is that they almost never reference pick up games. ... This is really starting to convince me that the idea of walking into a store, finding an opponent, and dropping your army on the table is not how they intend the game to be played.

I think the idea of a random undiscussed game is absolutely foreign to them and is a horrible way to play 40K, IMO. Pick-up games are some of the worst games I have ever played of 40K for the last four editions to the point where I won't even play them any more unless I already know my opponent from previous games. I'd rather find someone that wants to play a few days later and arrange to meet them back at the store with some ground work for the game already laid out.

I'll also sit and paint with someone for an hour or two and just chat, tells a lot about someone's views on the game to be able to figure out if they'd be fun to play.

That said, I think that what they discussed in this VoxCast was fantastic!