Vox Cast: The Repository Thread

Slips

Voxcast 23 was with Tom Walton:

Some interesting things I heard from Tom Walton and Wade Pryce (although I'm sure some of these will be contreversial for some here):

- IG are more WW1/2 traditional designs/stylings, while Marines are intentionally keying off more modern stylings - it's an intentional separation they are using (and I think this is the point of none of the modern Marine vehicles having tracks)

- Marine vehicles are intended to be brutal - even their anti-grav is brutal - once again referenced the punching effect of the anti-grav in the tanks, it would knock over a wall, rather than “float over it daintily” and crush and scatter things beneath it

- Marine flyers are rocket-propelled fists in function, and mostly form - GW (at least these two blokes) also doesn't consider that there is the ability to actually stress-test and prove that these aircraft couldn't fly, especially in the various atmospheres Marines might invade. The use of anti-grav also seemingly helps deal with issues, but it's mostly “strap bigger rockets to it and make it fly.”

- They do actually put thought behind how things would work - Ork vehicles: examples of guys that know how to strip down an engine helping design the vehicles, but from an Orky view (how would an Ork rebuild this transaxle - have to know what a transaxle is before you can answer that)

- The model designers like seeing conversions of things, and ideas from conversions propogating through the community, but it sounded like concerns/thoughts for kit bashing pretty much only deal with similar connection sizes, and for infantry sizes, arms, heads, etc., but it doesn't seem like legs and torsos are really considered as part of kit-bashing as such

Thanks, I hate it. I got too much salt generated to meet our board standards to put these people on blast. :censored:  :furious:

Also, don't take my "find it interesting" as "personally agree with the thought processes behind it" - the two aren't mutually exclusive, but I will save my agreements and disagreements for other threads, nor am I going to re-argue historical stuff on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Vox Cast with Duncan was very enjoyble, such a nice guy. And they also touched on a very important subject. Duncan mentioned how he was sort of scared off by the store manager when he was a kid, and this is what happened recently at my FLGS. I don't know the details, but essentially our store manager told someone that their model was painted like crap. He was fired soon after.

We got a new one, and we got really lucky with him.

Two thin quotes!

Being more on the painting side than gaming right now (training new Scouts really does eat up time, but it is a lot of fun seeing them get their first servitor kill with that bolter), I enjoyed this whole thing and didn't realize that he actually didn't talk about any paint schemes until he was done and I went "Wait a minute, spill them secret beans, chappy!" :D He really does seem like a great guy, and the fact that he is dedicated to seeing fans happy is awesome.

Lovely chap, just so nice.

Interesting point he made about how in their kit bashes/conversion discussions they're not permitted to say 'you should get this box for this particular head' or whatever, that they have to aim for bits that one might reasonably expect a collector of a given army to have in their bits box. Which is just good sense really but that it's explicitly framed by the bosses as being 'commerciallly aware' was a bit of a surprise. GW not going for the absolute most cynical or price-blind approach, instead showing a slight degree of pragmatism and sensitivity towards, you know, how the hobby works. Maybe my expectations are too low though...

Interesting point he made about how in their kit bashes/conversion discussions they're not permitted to say 'you should get this box for this particular head' or whatever, that they have to aim for bits that one might reasonably expect a collector of a given army to have in their bits box. Which is just good sense really but that it's explicitly framed by the bosses as being 'commerciallly aware' was a bit of a surprise. GW not going for the absolute most cynical or price-blind approach, instead showing a slight degree of pragmatism and sensitivity towards, you know, how the hobby works. Maybe my expectations are too low though...

Not at all, if it's a SM conversion they will only use SM bits because they want you buying SM at that point in time, nothing else. They let the community guests armies and comp entries showcase real kit bashing, scratch builds and sculpting.

Was anything mentioned about them changing the format of their painting videos? I miss the old "tip of the day" model over all this "battle-ready" classic/contrast stuff where 80% of the videos are aimed at complete beginners, often just replicating videos they already have

He goes into detail about how they want to get the fundamentals of using the paints across in the videos and sprinkle in the occasional big kit and highly detailed video. They get the most views on the long form stuff and the most questions about the easy stuff. They do have set goals like show how to paint the stuff you’ll have the most of as a focus and then they try to get a big monster or kit in there for detail. Edited by Marshal Rohr

Or perhaps they're good people trying to do the right thing by the hobby they've all been involved with since their early teens?

There is a remarkable undercurrent on this board that casts GW staff as outsiders, and not a part of this community.

Perhaps actually acknowledging they're normal people might be a start?

Or perhaps they're good people trying to do the right thing by the hobby they've all been involved with since their early teens?

There is a remarkable undercurrent on this board that casts GW staff as outsiders, and not a part of this community.

Perhaps actually acknowledging they're normal people might be a start?

It's the fact that it was a top down rule from management that surprised me. I'm perfectly happy acknowledging Duncan and co as part of the community and genuinely decent normal people but GW as a corporate entity is manifestly and obviously beyond being "good people trying to do the right thing". As a corporation GW deserves any and all the cynicism they get.

Any dictat about not pushing for a particular "buy this box for this single bit" like this could only come from pragmatism and a concern about the negative effects of pushing the boat too far, i.e. being seen as too nakedly money-grubbing. I was surprised that they even had this concern but I guess that's nu-GW.

• 4 weeks later...

Good interview, a lot to mull over at the intersection of army design, paintjob design and bakground.

Some interesting thoughts there on how the SoB orders are younger than bodies like the astartes chapters and their history is 'cleaner' (i.e. they're all descended from the same six orders only a few thousand years ago, they're tied to the two broad remits) so while their particular iconographic choices have background rationales, they're less diverse and clouded by the weight of history. They're still hidebound but with a more religious, less militaristic structure and set of conventions that can change for appropriately religious reasons, e.g. the order of our martyred lady changing their livery. I liked the example of a marine not necessarily knowing why a particular bit of 10k-old heraldry is used, just that it's tradition, while the SoB can more reliably trace this back.

Interesting amount of focus on Celsestians there too. Cool to hear that effort was put into how to distinguish them from regular battle sisters, though uncharitably I suppose you could say that this is compensating for the only real difference on the miniatures coming from that fleur-de-lys head crest. I actually quite like that approach and if it forced some good thinking about symbology by the 'eavy metal crew, great, but it was noticeable.

The 'eavy metal concept work about the spectrum of pristineness was also fun. The sisters are all untouched by battle damage, they're all perfectly clean, their tanks are maybe a little grubby where appropriate but still more lavishly maintained than marine equivalents. The repentia are then fairly beaten about and with different levels of damage but still healthy. Then you get to the penitent engines and arcoflagellants who look properly grimy and half-dead. It's a nice through-line for the Ecclesiarchy's feel.

That would at least be in line with how the developement department of my employer tends to look at things. All code is written, we are able to unleash it on testers is what they mean by "ready for release". For me as a marketing guy, that phrase means something absolutely different. :D

It's noy impossible for us to see more in a later update (like a campaign book), but as of that recording (which all we know was made some time in the past and then trimmed/edited for later release) there isn't any kits that aren't in the book.

• 1 month later...

I've noticed that too with some of the interviewees, some are just not comfortable with the format, others are a bit lacklustre in their conversational skills or excitement. In those cases you can feel Wade trying to get more information out of the guys and when he starts to ask suggestive questions - "But was that really all the work you did for the Blood Angels or did you have another stint working on them?". 

This can be quite challenging for an interviewer, I still think, Wade manages to do a good to great job with it. I'd like it though, if he would start to stray from the current formula a bit, maybe. We've heard about Space Crusade and HeroQuest as the universal starting point for many of the current studio guys. How about getting some of them reminiscing about that? Why did it work? What did they like about it? What's their current approach? Something like that, maybe...