Vox Cast: The Repository Thread

Slips

Whilst it's no confirmation, Jes does mention making bigger Possessed for the box because (his words) "[...] we thought it might be really cool if we could do some smaller Possessed models at a later date, maybe".

So, in my view, it's really question of when, not if. And I'm happy with that. :)

Whilst it's no confirmation, Jes does mention making bigger Possessed for the box because (his words) "[...] we thought it might be really cool if we could do some smaller Possessed models at a later date, maybe".

So, in my view, it's really question of when, not if. And I'm happy with that. :)

I noticed that. Similarly he sorta (kinda, maybe, definatly) implied that World Eaters are/have been worked on.

I really enjoyed getting some background on the development of the Primaris range. Did anyone else think that when Jes talked about the vanguard Primaris being a type of marine force that some may enjoy and others won’t that there will be future releases (box sets) of different types of strike forces?

Lots off wee nuggets dropped Different forces based on armor. Greater greater possessed & lesser (possible)

One thing I disliked . At this point the writing is on the wall for mini-marines but he referred to them as the old range. Perhaps suggesting there hasn't been any further development of them. Might be looking too much into that though

I really enjoyed getting some background on the development of the Primaris range. Did anyone else think that when Jes talked about the vanguard Primaris being a type of marine force that some may enjoy and others won’t that there will be future releases (box sets) of different types of strike forces?

I have a feeling (just a guess) that strike forces like the Vanguard will be the Primaris equivalent of Company specializations. So maybe a Primaris Chapter will be 6 ABC Company, 2 Vanguard, 2 XYZ Company, or whatever. I'd bet next big release we see a more punchy force. I also see them going this way to avoid needing one gigantic Astartes Codex, splitting it up into multiple allied/mixable codexes as new stuff comes out.

From what they were saying in the video it seems to be the case the primaris marines spend their time in the 10th company training to use all the different armour types.

Pretty clear from the video as well that the next primaris releases will be centred on the different armour types, like the vanguard are on Phobos armour.  Think its safe to assume the next 2 pleases of Primaris will be one with stuff based around normal Tacitus armour (intercessor style), and one based around Gravis armour (aggressor style).

Lots off wee nuggets dropped Different forces based on armor. Greater greater possessed & lesser (possible)

One thing I disliked . At this point the writing is on the wall for mini-marines but he referred to them as the old range. Perhaps suggesting there hasn't been any further development of them. Might be looking too much into that though

I know that when Primaris were first released they were asked directly weather or not “classic Marines” would see any further releases and they’re answer was that they weren’t sure (I forget exactly who it was they was answering the question). I think that GW weren’t expecting so much backlash over it and were caught off guard.

This was a great interview with Jes, lots of interesting tidbits and some cheeky little teases throughout. I'd guess that what Jes et al are doing is expanding how the Adeptus Astartes Chapters work to make them a bit more like a "whole army" from a narrative perspective. It'll be neat to see what new things come, and they're definitely coming.

I liked that the Supressors (flying autocannon dudes) are not in Phobos armour, but in a lighter variant of Gravis armour. They illustrate Jes' "principle" of the modularity of the Mark X armour and reinforce the idea that not all Gravis armour looks one or two ways.

Lots of food for thought with regards to how I'll organise my Space Marine armies - I think I might designate a company to be the "recon company" (maybe the 2nd company?). I'm looking forward to seeing what else might be coming!

Late to the party, but based on what I listened and processed from the Vox-Cast, I think the style will be more like:

1st Company (Maybe?)

2nd-9th Company (Able to do everything)

10th Company (Training)

The way I took what Jes said was that the Primaris can step into any role, or should be able to (you will have some better that others of course). So an Intercessor puts on Phobos armour and becomes and Infilrator, etc.

That way each Company can change what they are doing based on the mission and enemy at hand

Late to the party, but based on what I listened and processed from the Vox-Cast, I think the style will be more like:

1st Company (Maybe?)

2nd-9th Company (Able to do everything)

10th Company (Training)

The way I took what Jes said was that the Primaris can step into any role, or should be able to (you will have some better that others of course). So an Intercessor puts on Phobos armour and becomes and Infilrator, etc.

That way each Company can change what they are doing based on the mission and enemy at hand

Soo...... Kind of like a regular chapter? :lol:

They'll be pointing instead.

It's so variable! Can point with a fist into the air (Calgar) or with a sword into the air (everyone that has a sword drawn except for that new Librarian) or send their servo skull pokemon into battle (vanguard Captain)!

@Gederas (As it won't let me quote at work)

Well a bit yes, but more so. No reserve companies and each Marine would have multiple armours. So one marine would have the bits to wear Phobos, Tacticus or Gravis as the situation depended on it (before planetfall).

Currently Marines wear PA, Only 10th Company wear scout and only 1st wear Terminator

I am looking forward to the Primaris wave that includes the big guns since that seems to be most likely when we will see Primaris Techmarines. I am also looking forward to that wave because we will probably get another video featuring Jes. 

I like the idea that there can be different interpretations of characters to fill certain niches. The sneaky Librarian being the most obvious example he mentions.

I am looking forward to the Primaris wave that includes the big guns since that seems to be most likely when we will see Primaris Techmarines. I am also looking forward to that wave because we will probably get another video featuring Jes. 

I like the idea that there can be different interpretations of characters to fill certain niches. The sneaky Librarian being the most obvious example he mentions.

I actually really like the idea of having multiple types of characters, and it makes sense. The old lore always stressed that the Codex Astartes contained just tons and tons of tactical dogma, and yet Astartes chapters seemed to be shoehorned into just a couple of fighting styles. There should be Techmarines with different specialties, multiple Librarian types, Ultramarines Chaplain terror masters, Black Templars siege experts, Blood Angels sniper experts, and all sorts of things that aren't typical. It's like every chapter is a stereotype of itself, and I'll actually be really impressed if we get enough variance in upcoming releases to reflect that Astartes are masters of all warfare; not just the one type their Primarch liked most.

A fascinating listen.

Some nuggets:

Some of the design philosophy is five years old.

That the Mk X armour has been designed as "layers"; it was also modelled such that it is realistic for someone to be inside it.

It was intimated that there are at least three levels of armour - light, normal and heavy - and each level will have groups who are "stabby", shooty and heavy weapons oriented.

Jes has so much going on in his head, he has to have notes!

Jes also doesn't have s lot of time for official trademarked names, he just uses things like "bad space wizard" and "stabby stabby marines".

For me, the most interesting thing was the design vocabulary used, and the lead in for stuff. Does make you wonder how much stuff that is "salt" on here is real, but actually 2-3 years away...

I think it's obviously the case that the miniatures designers don't try to give the units their official names, and have moved on to something else by the time the rules writers have come up with them so never quite internalise what they end up being.

Plus, of course, it's probably harder to keep Inceptors, Intercessors, and Infiltrators straight in your head after five years than it is to keep terminology like Assault, Tactical, and Devastator.

Jes also doesn't have s lot of time for official trademarked names, he just uses things like "bad space wizard" and "stabby stabby marines".

For me, the most interesting thing was the design vocabulary used, and the lead in for stuff. Does make you wonder how much stuff that is "salt" on here is real, but actually 2-3 years away...

I think it's obviously the case that the miniatures designers don't try to give the units their official names, and have moved on to something else by the time the rules writers have come up with them so never quite internalise what they end up being.

Plus, of course, it's probably harder to keep Inceptors, Intercessors, and Infiltrators straight in your head after five years than it is to keep terminology like Assault, Tactical, and Devastator.

Production nicknames are fun. Almost any group that produces new things for a company will use them when working on the thing. You can see it even with movies and games, and some of them can get very fun and nonsensical.

However, Jes' description of the Greater Possessed? "Bony Dry Guy" and "Toothy Wet Guy"? Both of those are perfect examples of production nicknames compared to ones I've seen.

Edited by Gederas