Sometimes I Wanna Waaaghh

ChaosRising

After years of painting power armor, I'm looking to shake things up a bit.

I'm toying with the idea of starting Orks but was looking for some input/pointers.

For what it's worth, here are some of the things I'm taking into account regarding a possible Ork force.

1) I'm not a competitive player. I play because I enjoy the game.

2) Orks are a great source of comic relief, especially after dealing with the super-serious Black Templars and Dark Angels.

3) I prefer compact armies/forces but almost always play foot slogger lists (due to GW' s vehicle pricing), so I am leaning towards a Kult of Speed / Speed Freeks (or similar) arrangement.

4) I'd like to *try* and participate in Vigilus, but that's really not top priority. I can do that with another force if need be (although it would be fun to "grow" a Wagh into a Waaaghh in time for the campaign).

5) I'm happy to consider alternatives to Kult of Speed / Speed Freeks, so long as they stay on the compact end of things.

Can't wait to hear whatv everyone thinks.

Thanks in advance.

I think you can definitely make a compact army that doesn't get run over, with lots of cool things.

First, if you want CP, a battalion or two with grots in the troops slots is the way to go. This is of course a horde-y suggestion, but grots are cheap $-wise and paint up quick. If you don't want them, then I would advise just staying away from troops; trukk boyz aren't great, as they lose two major buffs large mobs have (Mob Rule for 20+ leadership, and the extra attack per model for Green Tide). Orks can be played with low CP, so we're not exactly reliant on it, but we do have strong stratagems you'd miss out on without some CP.

Ok, for the actual stuff: the new buggies are cool, but over-costed. I wouldn't suggest taking more than two or three, as they really start eating into your points with fragile vehicles. A few can do some work, especially if you have other options with middle Toughness and multiple wounds. Investing into too many will just eat you up.

Warbikers make for a good core of a speedy, smaller Ork army. They lack boyz offensive output in CC, and are susceptible to multi-shot, multi-damage weapons, but they are so fast, fairly durable, and their shooting is no joke. Bad Moons Warbikers can put out a lot of hurt, then using CC to finish whatever they softened up. Deffskullz get an invulnerable and Objective secured, which is cool, plus the rerolls really pay off on the Nob with a power klaw in CC.

Battlewagons and Bonecrusha's have a place (stay away from Gunwagons; its shooting isn't good enough to take advantage of double firing). You could take 20 boyz and put them in a battlewagon if you wanted to fill up troops slots (hell, two 10-boy units). If they are Bad Moons and rocking shootas, they can make an effective drive-by unit, maybe jumping out when the bikers need some more bodies to help them out. Bonecrushas just need to get into CC, and are good transports for things with little shooting and a lot of CC. Like Nobz or Mega-Nobz.

HQs, you naturally have the new Wartrike, which is still overcosted but fits in very nicely with this style of army. After that, nothing screams that it fits, unless you go back to the index for Warbosses and Big Meks on bikes (do it). But as long as you've got transports, Warbosses can just ride along and krump something. And Weirdboyz are good, though less reliable than they would be in a Green Tide list.

I hope my thoughts help!

If your not worried about being "competitive" you can field a little of everything and as far as I can tell the codex won't let you down. 
I play mostly what used to be called a Gorka Morka list back in 3rd. so I field troop units on foot and in transports, fast vehicles, dreads, kans -sometimes- and artillery. general mix of support. I get by with as few as 60 boys some times. 
If you like the fast stuff just field mostly fast stuff.   field models you like.  

Heck you could simply field 3 mobs of 10 gorts for troops and anything else you want after "taxes". lol.  

If your looking for close combat power storm boys are also there, thing Boys but faster. 

The important part is enthusiasm. 

Disclaimer.
I have yet to play a game with the new codex. 

Given that I don't actually have any 8th edition books it's hard for me to comment on a unit-by-unit basis. However, the overall feel is pretty much what I thought I might be looking at - namely a couple units of Boyz mounted in transports (Battlewagons ?) to cover my Troops, backed up by Bikes and Trikes, as well as pretty much anything else that's fast and has wheels.

So maybe something along these lines:

** Patrol Detachment **

Warboss on Bike

20 Boys (1 mob of 20) in Battlewagon

2 - 3 Bikes (starting out)

OR

** Outrider Detachment **

As above, but with some Watraks added in

My basic idea is a drive-by force that can soften up the opponent, supported by mobile Boyz who can tie up loose ends (finish the enemy in CC, grab an objective, etc.).

Hello!

1) I'm not a competitive player. I play because I enjoy the game.

2) Orks are a great source of comic relief, especially after dealing with the super-serious Black Templars and Dark Angels.

3) I prefer compact armies/forces but almost always play foot slogger lists (due to GW' s vehicle pricing), so I am leaning towards a Kult of Speed / Speed Freeks (or similar) arrangement.

4) I'd like to *try* and participate in Vigilus, but that's really not top priority. I can do that with another force if need be (although it would be fun to "grow" a Wagh into a Waaaghh in time for the campaign).

5) I'm happy to consider alternatives to Kult of Speed / Speed Freeks, so long as they stay on the compact end of things.

So, just starting off by going in order.

1) Excellent, I find that not taking the actual game portion too seriously is the way to keep having fun with it.

2) It's a trap! Orks have an interesting duality. Internally, they all get in a scrap, have a blast, and generally find themselves hilarious. Externally they're brutal murder machines that were literally designed to wage eternal war, and generally a line of guardsmen in a desperate last stand aren't going to find it quite as funny when the green tide crashes into their lines and starts removing limbs. The trick is capturing that, much like nurgle and pustules it's really easy to go overboard on silliness with orks to the point that they don't look like they'll be effective in combat. They do definitely take themselves less serious than Templar though!

3) Excellent timing, what with all the speedy releases for orks recently. I haven't looked at the vigilus speed kult stuff yet but it may be worth getting. I'm going to go against what was mentioned earlier and say that there's nothing wrong with boyz in truckz depending on what clan you take, and three truckboy mobz with deathskulls traits, rokkit, kombirokkit, and klaw can do some work while also bumping you up to a battalion for CP.

4) Take your time! I find that the most rewarding part of playing orks is converting things and you won't have a lot of time to do that if you want an army up and running in time for vigilus to drop. Your mileage may vary as different folks will enjoy different bits of the hobby more.

5) If you super don't care about being competitive I've had fun running ridiculous elite lists packed with nobz and meganobz jumping out of trucks and battlewagons. It's not all that competitive and you mentioned not liking vehicles, so maybe a variation with wierdboyz jumping them around instead of clowncarring into wagons might work for you.

1) In my experience - starting around late 3rd / early 4th and going thru 7th - the question of whichbarmy is the best / most powerful is purely relative (and often subjective) and changes faster than an Ork mob can get into a fight. Add to that the cost of trying to have the "best" army at all times and it's an exercise in futility. I'd much rather play some fun scenarios with a friend.

2) Yea... I probably oversimplified this one. But let's face it, there aren't many races / factions that *wouldn't* fall into the murder machine category (Tau and Eldar might be the exceptions).

3) I actually sort of like the Trukk Boyz idea, as I'd be able to have the same number of mobile models as with a Battlewagon, while being able to send then off in more than one direction.

4) I know nothing of Vigilus, except what I've read on here. I'm envisioning something along the lines of another Medusa V or Third Armageddon campaign. Having said that, I find that campaigns and similar events tend to be good motivation for me to start new forces as well as to try out new hobby ideas.

5) I do like vehicles - just not the prices normally associated with them. If I plan this right I should be able to have a decent amount of mobile Troops while still having enough leftover points for all the other goodies.

Orks are not comic relief. They are great big brutes, bred for war and violence. Unless people getting their heads bashed in with rusty pipes or their faces ripped off by giant tusks somehow became funny. :)

Yes, they are crude, and so is a lot of their gear, but it's all designed for murdering people.

I forget which BL book it is in, but there is a Iron Warriors planet that gets invaded by Orks and one of the main chaos characters makes the observation and it goes something like this: From afar the Orks seem goofy, yet having a great big muscular beast with giant fangs, leathery hide and nothing but murder in his eyes looking right at you is not funny at all.

The absolute danger of the Orks comes across very well in the book. I mean yes, they strap home made rockets to their backs, but it's still a monster flying at you with zero regards for anything but your immidiate and rather messy death.

That being said, Orks are a lot of fun to play and paint. Enjoy!

So after a bit of re-reading suggestions here and just generally poking around online, I think I'm definitely going to get 3 Warbikes. Also thinking of taking a few Deffkoptas, as they would fit well with what I'm trying for and, unless I missed something, could actually be half decent.

I may be missing something, but I thought I saw somewhere that a Battlewagon could only carry 6 models. Is there a 20-capacity version out there? If not, maybe I should use the Battlewagon for fire support and go with Trukk Boyz and/or Grots/Gretchin for Troops.

I may be missing something, but I thought I saw somewhere that a Battlewagon could only carry 6 models. Is there a 20-capacity version out there? If not, maybe I should use the Battlewagon for fire support and go with Trukk Boyz and/or Grots/Gretchin for Troops.

Battle wagons carry 20 trukks carry 12, some of the other kinds of battle wagons have a lower transport number if I recall. 

You mean the Gunwagon with killkannon? It can carry 12. Bonebreaka can carry 12. Normal Battlewagon can carry 20, unless it also has a killkannon, then it can only carry 12 as well. :)

Funny thing, the 'Ard case that seems to limit the carrying capacity of the bonebreaka does not limit the carrying capacity of the normal Battlewagon.

Normal Battlewagon can carry 20, unless it also has a killkannon, then it can only carry 12 as well. :)

This may have been the source of my confusion.

Funny thing, the 'Ard case that seems to limit the carrying capacity of the bonebreaka does not limit the carrying capacity of the normal Battlewagon.

I am not going to complain about that detail. :)

Personally my core Ork batallion would be

Warboss or Deffkilla Wartrike

Big Mek in Megaarmour with KFF

2 x 20 Boyz (usually choppas/sluggas but only because thats how I built them)

1 x 20 Grots

5 x Nobz Choppa or Big Choppa + power stabba is a nice combo

2 x Battlewagon with deathroller or guns

1 x Trukk

Aim here is a simple mobile force.Grots shield the characters or act as a distraction grabbing an objective. Nobz and/or characters drive up, aiming to get blown up for Looted, and battlewagons drop the boyz off before chariging in themselves.

Cost wise, not the cheapest starting point, but it avoids footslogging and small boyz units

To make this a proper Kult of Speed, Deffkilla Wartrike and an Outrider Detachment built around Speedfreeks should get added on, plus a couple of Burna Bommas, and a couple more buggies

Archived