Objectives and Vertical distance

Brother Castle

Greetings,

I had a situation occur in a recent game where my opponent claimed an objective at the bottom of a tower while his unit was placed at the top, he was within 3 inches horizontally but over 10 verticaly, given that we could find anything to say that vertical distance effected holding objectives we played that it didn't.

Does anyone know of a place where the rule was clarified or FAQ'd?

a page number would be greatly appreciated. 

Greetings,

I had a situation occur in a recent game where my opponent claimed an objective at the bottom of a tower while his unit was placed at the top, he was within 3 inches horizontally but over 10 verticaly, given that we could find anything to say that vertical distance effected holding objectives we played that it didn't.

Does anyone know of a place where the rule was clarified or FAQ'd?

a page number would be greatly appreciated.

Page 2 of the Stepping into a New Edition FAQ answers this.

Q: How do objective markers work for purposes of vertical distances?

A: Include both vertical and horizontal distances when determining the number of models within range of an objective marker.

There is no infinite vertical column for objectives, you measure distances as normal.

Also, although I can't remember where it is written exactly, I think that there is a recommendation (if not outright a rule) that objectives must be on the table, not on upper floors of ruins and buildings.

That's 100% just a houserule, not even a recommendation.

Also, although I can't remember where it is written exactly, I think that there is a recommendation (if not outright a rule) that objectives must be on the table, not on upper floors of ruins and buildings.

My bad, then.

Though the implication is that putting objectives high up will effectively prevent things that can't go up ruins (vehicles, monsters etc) from claiming objectives.

My bad, then.

Though the implication is that putting objectives high up will effectively prevent things that can't go up ruins (vehicles, monsters etc) from claiming objectives.

Which is perfectly fine imo. Some units not being able to climb ruins is a rule GW put in on purpose after all.

Archived