Purge the Xenos - Deathwatch

GrimmDark

Oh my... ok

Well I love your work... I think you do not have much more comments just because you rendered everyone speechless.

From kitbashing to painting this is all so amazing

I love your extreme SOL work and I really do not like source of light, especially so extreme!! But I love yours, probably because everything else is so dark! So much Caravaggio!

Ant then I noticed the awesome painting ( is it a freehand? I hope not for my sanity) on the dreadnought you actually had the balls to weather (And you did it so well)...WOW

Thank you! This is the first time I've done proper OSL so I'm glad it turned out alright! The mural on the Redemptor is actually a decal I made, and then weathered down to match the army. The idea behind it is it shows the marine inside, during the final stand that saw him interred.  I'll likely do it to all my vehicles going forward to help tell a story, plus I think it looks cool.

Excellent work on the Librarian, Chaplain, and Hellblasters.

Thanks!

This whole army is fantastic! More dreadnoughts are always good in my book. I think my favorite model is that chaplain. What chapter is he from?

Thank you! The Chaplain is a Blackshield. I used half primaris, half mk3 kits to make him (as well as another Intercessor) and I like to think they're original primaris tests from the time of the heresy, now serving within the Watch.

Excellent painting and conversions, the glow effects are really neat. Looks amazing!

Thanks a lot!

LOL geez...this is too great.  

Cheers!

I had my first battle with these guys the other day, a friend was over and I happened to have a 40PL list of fully painted Deathwatch and Death Guard, we played Zone Mortalis using the necromunda tiles and boy, do I like my Watch on the field!

49132092378_e98ecba01e_c.jpg

I don't have any more updates on the Watch right now, but when Kill Team came out I bought two box sets to build myself some cool terrain so I've been dabbling with that more. 

49132075758_bab5cfca5f_c.jpg

49132568186_5ff214ae51_c.jpg

49132567866_03c1756bc9_c.jpg

49127526783_63920f5fa2_c.jpg

49128202072_20f07c6abe_c.jpg

49128014471_2f07a1d4dc_c.jpg

Right now it measures out at 3' x 2'. I have enough tiles to make a 4'x4' modular board. While these tiles have been primarily designed with Kill Team in mind, the idea is to have a large amount of flatter tiles designed to make the board more 40k level friendly, while still having tonnes of cover as well as LOS blocking terrain. Colour scheme I have in my head right now is dirty white walls, rusted metal details, green for the spot colour, churned up mud for the bases (like my DW bases) and lots of water effects leaking around. 

Thanks for looking!

Thank you! This is the first time I've done proper OSL so I'm glad it turned out alright! The mural on the Redemptor is actually a decal I made, and then weathered down to match the army. The idea behind it is it shows the marine inside, during the final stand that saw him interred.  I'll likely do it to all my vehicles going forward to help tell a story, plus I think it looks cool.

You have done great and maybe it's time for me to try something myself...

Cool idea about the decal! Consider it stolen, so I will finally have something to slap on vehicles and will paint some of them! At heart, everyone who converts/paint/create miniatures is a storyteller

Terrains look very promising and your friend's Death guard seems fantastic as well

You have done great and maybe it's time for me to try something myself...

Cool idea about the decal! Consider it stolen, so I will finally have something to slap on vehicles and will paint some of them! At heart, everyone who converts/paint/create miniatures is a storyteller

Terrains look very promising and your friend's Death guard seems fantastic as well

Thanks. It involves a little trial and error in printing the correct size for the right vehicle/armour part, but I think the result is worth it in the end. I'm going to have a lot of fun doing it on larger models like Sicarans and Repulsors, even considering an Astraeus for the force too, that thing is so big I could go to town on it. 

The Death Guard are actually mine as well, so thank you! They're on hiatus at the moment while I work on the Watch, but here's a couple of (bad) photos

42204753810_dab95ba1ed_c.jpg

34953994923_b538edd63e_c.jpg

I painted these a couple of years ago, when the 8th edition dropped. They were my return to 40k after about 8 years away

• 3 weeks later...

Those are some grimey looking Xenos-Killers!

I love your fluff on your primaris. The terrain and Death Guard look great too. 

Thanks guys!

I haven't done much Deathwatch stuff, with Christmas approaching I haven't gone out and bought anything as you never know what might be under the tree! Instead I've been trying to finish up some old projects that were gathering dust. Starting with a Kill Team.. 

49238446797_087de5eaaf_c.jpg

I actually started this team long before Primaris were even a thing, hence the converted true scale marines in the back. After seeing the snow on the base for the black Reiver, I'm actually tempted to add snow to my Deathwatch, thoughts on this?

And while I haven't done much for the Watch, I have done something... 

49237748443_deff96b75f_c.jpg

I was tired of my Captain not being WYSIWYG and not having a bolt rifle, so I decided to make a new one - a Blood Angel this time.

Thanks for looking! 

Love seeing terrain people make looking forward to seeing more of that!! The other models and conversions are really awesome too nice job!!

Thanks man. Terrain is important for my games, I hate playing on crap boards so want to put as much effort into my board as my armies I'm playing on it. 

49243093811_358d456358_c.jpg

I did a speed paint of my new Captain last night. I also changed a couple of details like the shoulder pad. C&C welcome

Thanks for looking!

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh this is cool I actually just saw this on Facebook lol small world. But the glow effect OSL what have you is really amazing work. I tried and failed hardcore at doing this guess I need to watch more videos. But you did a nice job capturing the effect!!

Small world indeed! Thanks a lot though. I'm not very good at it myself to be honest, but I'm using this army to push me out of my comfort zone and learn new techniques. 

Update time... 

49323588282_0eeca876e2_c.jpg

I decided I'd had enough of proxying a Watchmaster and decided to build myself one in Primaris scale. He's a Black Templar, already had an idea for another so may end up building him a twin!

C&C welcome and appreciated, thanks for looking!

Looks good so far!!

Cheers!

Great Watch Captain. That pose is really striking and a great mix of bitz

Thanks! I think if I make another it'll be the opposite for posing - still and commanding. Should make a nice contrast. 

I made some progress painting the Templar;

49328001013_5f329551eb_b.jpg

Still to go are some final highlights, brown weathering, metallic chips and the glow.

Thanks for looking! 

I managed to get some more work done - the Watchmaster is complete!

49333298473_a8f2cb897b_b.jpg

I also got a photo of the Deathwatch high command.. 

49333298278_00fcdb375f_b.jpg

I'm pretty happy with these guys as it stands. I love making characters, so will likely end up making more just because.. in fact I have an idea for another Librarian already. 

You may also notice I added snow to their bases - I wanted some more contrast and took the plunge. I like it, what do you think?

Speaking of characters, I kitbashed an Apothecary earlier today;

49347361102_8f9bd19d3e_b.jpg

Finally, I decided to grab an updated army shot;

49333987427_4cdda69e52_b.jpg

That's all for now. Thanks for looking!

Holy crap man that's amazing the glow effects with the paint is really stunning!!

Thanks mate :smile.:

The snow effects are applied really well, I like the updated bases a lot. I also have to agree with Kolgrin DeathHowl, the glow effect is excellent! What chapter is the apothecary from? (He's looking great by the way, nice use of bits!)

Thanks a lot! I don't have a chapter in mind for him if I'm honest. Perhaps one of the blackshields provided straight to the Watch by Guilliman?

He's actually finished now, too; 

49362733912_d9b5650f9c_b.jpg

I was also sorting through my hobby boxes and sort of found an entire army I somehow forgot I even had.. 

49362735437_beea6290e0_b.jpg

They're a fair bit rougher than my current painting as I painted them when Dark Imperium was released and I returned to the hobby after about 9 years away. I'm considering going over them all to bring them more into line with the DW (matching their bases, adding glow) etc as there's talk of a large battle in my gaming club this summer where I'd be allying with a large Custodes force, somewhere in the region of 3-6,000 points per side so an Ultramarine detachment led by Big G could be pretty fun to run alongside the Watch. 

Thanks for looking!

All your stuff looks great, but I really love your terrain. I am in the process of building terrain right now... My game group has a decent amount of terrain but I personally have none. Awesome looking modular terrain.

Thanks! I do love terrain, I'd have multiple tables worth if I had the room for it all. 

Update time.. 

49380778797_c4a9bc0c93_b.jpg

I finished updating the Ultramarines to match the Deathwatch with weathering, glow etc. All I need to do to them is add snow to their bases, which I'll do when I manage to pop into my LGS and buy some. 

49380580561_1b89e2e126_b.jpg

Pretty pleased with my updated Guilliman, too. Going forward I plan to add some armour to the Deathwatch, and Vanguard to the Ultramarines 

Thanks for looking!

• 4 weeks later...

One of the best girlymen around

Thank you!

I've been building more.. 

49502388148_2832ded2e8_c.jpg

I tried my hand at sculpting this time, I'm not very comfortable with it as a whole and it's an area of the hobby I'd like to improve. 

I've had an idea for building some true scale Terminators too, and I wanted them armed with hammers and shields. They won't be worked on for a while as they're not planned to be in my 3k list but I had some bits to hand to try some kitbashing for the hammers. 

49503138682_ee094dc7dd_c.jpg

My list will however include normal Deathwatch Veterans, but I can't stand the scale difference between mini marines and primaris, so to that end... 

49502413473_4bc644c1da_c.jpg

I present counts as conversions for Veterans with storm bolters and storm shields. I trimmed down their knee and gorget plates to remove some of the primaris flare, and added auto bolt rifle magazines to their bolters to convert them to storm bolters. 

And finally, some painting.. 

49502892611_5b3b986c49_c.jpg

A friend visited for some help painting faces on his Custodes, so I painted these up for him. Comparing them to the Deathwatch faces I painted early on in the project I'm very happy with my progress over the last year. 

CC welcome, thanks for looking!

• 2 months later...

Back again. I've been busy with a lot of Adeptus Titanicus stuff recently and my Deathwatch haven't had much love. 

49826458813_e7cf034661_c.jpg

I finished the Veteran squad, I managed to use them once in a game before the lockdown in the UK and boy, did they turn some Custodes to jam!

One thing my army is heavily lacking now, is anti-tank. I haven't had much use out of the Redemptor Dreadnought in my list and to that end, decided to build myself a Redemptor-pattern Chaplain Dreadnought with a lascannon; 

49846282516_b0a166f93b_c.jpg

He's still WIP at the moment but I'm getting close to finishing him.  

In non-Deathwatch updates, as I said I've been building and painting a lot of AT lately. I've gone for the Legio Nivalis - sneak peak here;

49826997496_57cb22a49b_c.jpg

I've started another topic for them specifically here; 

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/363624-the-legio-nivalis/

If you're interested in checking out the rest of the Legio as it progresses. 

Finally, I started a new Kill Team - the Black Templars

49826466178_8af0d2cc47_c.jpg

All are WIP but we have a leader with power sword, two Intercessor marines with bolt rifles and a Vanguard Veteran with power sword and jump pack. I'll be rounding out the list with a Terminator soon. 

C&C welcome!