xLandaR's slow burn Titanicus log

xLandaR

Hello fellow Tiny Giant-Stompy-Robot enthusiasts!

Like many of you, when the Adeptus Titanicus models were first previewed, they immediately became some of my favorite models, and I knew from that moment that a legio of my own awaited me somewhere in the hopefully not to distant future. HOWEVER, a few things have delayed me from acquiring the models I so badly desired, first and foremost being that I am a broke-as-hell college student. But I have still managed to obtain a box of Questoris knights, as well as a pair of warhound titans that should be arriving in the next few days. To this end, I have made grand plans for currently non-existant Legio(s)!

THE PLANS:

Not one, but TWO separate legios have caught my eye, and due to a few quirks of their respective composition's, I plan on collecting both at the same time.

Legio Xestobiax, "The Iron Vigil":

Hailing from the forge world of Zhao-Arkhad, during the Horus Heresy, this relatively small Legion shared close ties with The Thousand Sons of Prospero, fighting alongside them against forces of House Malinax and Legio Mortis. Xestobiax remained neutral throughout the rest of the Horus Heresy, and they were pardoned at the conclusion of the conflict, ultimately remaining loyal to the Imperium. Due to the defensive nature of the Legio, Xestobiax fields few, if any, Warhounds, prefering the larger Reaver and Warlord class titans instead.

So why do I want to collect Xestobiax? First and foremost, I love their colour scheme. I believe the royal purple, combined with the with a singular white arm will let them stand out on any battlefield. I also like the concept of their "Black Iron" cores, experimental technology from reverse engineered eldar titans that allows the Legio's god engines to be faster and more deadly, while also lowering each titans crew count.

Finally, they don't use Warhound titans, which leads to my next Legion...

Legio Audax, "ember wolves":

the Legio Audax, attached to the 13th expeditionary fleet, alongside the World Eaters space marine Legion, are a Legio unlike any other. Audax are comprised entirely of their own unique variant of the Warhound Scout Titan, equiped with "Ursus Claws", essentially giant harpoons that allow them to pull larger titans to their knees. Legio audax prefer to operate in hunting packs, isolating and destroying larger god-engines through strength of numbers.

So all my larger titans will become legio Xestobiax, and the warhounds will be formed into a hunting pack of Legio audax! I plan on kitbashing Ursus claws for them as well, which will hopefully get rules at some point in the future.

House Malinax:

I am also painting any knights as house malinax, who will fight alongside Legio Audax. Infact, I have already done so! 

First Painted model!:

Z3F3Nve.jpg?1

lbX25cC.jpg?1

qgWnQnO.jpg?1

My first completed Titanicus model! A knight of house malinax! Now I just need to come up with a name for him, preferably something that alludes to the fact that he is the first painted model... (suggestions would be appreciated!)

Alright, I think that's enough rambling for my first post. I'll end with a disclaimer: This log will be VERY slow. Because I am a full time student, I can't afford the ridiculous number of titans that my heart desires. It also means that I don't have much hobby time, so painting what I do have will also be slow. Such is life.

Always nice to see another Titanicus blog, and starting with a completed model is a good way to begin.

Welcome to the B&C. Where are you based?

I get what you mean about having limited hobby time. However, perhaps your limited hobby budget can be seen as a bit of a blessing?

If you've only got one or two units on the painting table at a time you're less likely to get disheartened by a large pile of shame and you can focus on painting them to the best of your abilities. I was planning on only having one or two units for AT at a time, but mistakes were made and I now have quite a large pile of shame to work through.

I like your knight, though don't forget to beaten up the rim of the base. I'm a fan of grey for base rims as it blends into pretty much any base.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Always nice to see another Titanicus blog, and starting with a completed model is a good way to begin.

Welcome to the B&C. Where are you based?

whoops, forgot about my profile. Updated it a bit.

I get what you mean about having limited hobby time. However, perhaps your limited hobby budget can be seen as a bit of a blessing?

If you've only got one or two units on the painting table at a time you're less likely to get disheartened by a large pile of shame and you can focus on painting them to the best of your abilities. I was planning on only having one or two units for AT at a time, but mistakes were made and I now have quite a large pile of shame to work through.

I'm pretty sure everyone's made that mistake! I've got roughly 5000 points of 40k, most of it guard, that I collected during highschool. I'd say it's about a third painted and it's currently sitting in boxes in a closet at my parent's house. Hopefully the shame won't affect me as much if it's in a different city!

I like your knight, though don't forget to beaten up the rim of the base. I'm a fan of grey for base rims as it blends into pretty much any base.

gah! You always forget to paint something... Although if I'm honest, I think calling the model finished is a bit cheating, I can definitely Improve the base with a drybrush or two. 

Welcome xLandaR to the AT forum and the B&C! 

Excellent choice of Legios and interesting rationale - with the Warhounds from the Ember Wolves and everything else from Xestobiax...

BTW where do you guys get all those facts? I've read the "Betrayer" and I remember the Ursus Claw and the fact that there were only Warhounds but that the Ember Wolves only have Warhounds? Where's that from? Other HH books? I really need to catch up... :rolleyes:

Good luck mate, this is a very promising log! :yes:

Welcome xLandaR to the AT forum and the B&C! 

Excellent choice of Legios and interesting rationale - with the Warhounds from the Ember Wolves and everything else from Xestobiax...

BTW where do you guys get all those facts? I've read the "Betrayer" and I remember the Ursus Claw and the fact that there were only Warhounds but that the Ember Wolves only have Warhounds? Where's that from? Other HH books? I really need to catch up... :rolleyes:

Good luck mate, this is a very promising log! :yes:

I think its all in Betrayer somewhere, they even talk about how the lead titan is still "just" a 'hound. I think she's called the Ember Queen? Betrayer is certainly one of the better volumes, so I'd start catching up by reading it again :smile.:

PS: Nice knight xLandR! Forgot to comment on the actual reason for the thread's existence!

My warhound titans arrived! got the body of the first one built, with the panels left off to paint separately.

bts57fv.jpg?1

I'll probably also attempt to magnetize at least some of the weapons, for some variety.

I know pretty much everyone mentions it, but man! the attention to detail, as well as the sheer quality of these kits are insane! to illustrate my point, I snapped a pic of the bottom of the foot:

UYXJYcE.jpg?1

Just look at it! not only did they sculpt grip onto the feet, the middle toe has a stylized aquila! How cool is that! I especially love this because 99.9% of the time, no one will see this detail because its glued to the base, So they could have left it blank, and no one would have noticed, but they didn't! They gave us this beautifully detailed foot! (I can't say I thought i'd ever say that)

On a slightly more negative note, since I live on the west coast of Canada I can't prime for at least 4 months, so this guy isn't gonna get paint for while:sad.: . But I did say this was going to be a slow burn log, didn't I?

Finally, I'm off to the UK with my family for the holidays, a holy pilgrimage to Warhammer world might be in my near future :biggrin.: .

welcome and nice start.

and yeah, this thing called winter is not good time for priming unless you have an airbrush.

but you dont have to prime outside, you can do it in your toilet, kitchen (if you have powerful enough cooker hood) or somewhere else... just use newspapers cardboard box, breathing mask and remember to vent the place afterwards.

and if you have a gaming store near you do they allow people to prime their models in them? I dont know because I have never spend any time in one other than bought some paints and glue.

or maybe you could find a place to do it in your school?

I spray mine in the garage when my wife's car is out of it, check the garage's temperature, even there it can be too cold

And, regardless of the weather, always blow your nose afterwards, even when wearing a protective mask (sounds silly but this helps remove some of the paint you might have inadvertently inhaled)

Keep us posted on your progress.

On a slightly more negative note, since I live on the west coast of Canada I can't prime for at least 4 months, so this guy isn't gonna get paint for while:sad.: . But I did say this was going to be a slow burn log, didn't I?

Finally, I'm off to the UK with my family for the holidays, a holy pilgrimage to Warhammer world might be in my near future :biggrin.: .

I take it priming by hand (or priming in the UK where it's slightly warmer) is an option?

It would be a shame to have to wait four months just because the weather's a bit rubbish.

Hope you work something out.

Dallo

Archived