Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

2 Lists for a 2000pt Local Tournament (Post CA2018)

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

MeltaRange

MeltaRange

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 304 posts

Hi All,

I started collecting a Death Guard army, and now I'm getting it ready for a local tournament. I've been trying to decide on an army list.  I've played 5 or so games with lists similar to the below.

The basic tactics I'm looking to enact here is a classic 3 wave approach, but trying to have enough elements to play to the scenario as well.  They both bring 13 CP, having both a Death Guard and Chaos Daemon battalion.

Both lists will typically put the PBs in Reseves via the Denizens of the Warp strat. (unless that is not necessary)

List 1

This list in general has a poorer, less flexible beta strike in order to bring along a PBC to provide some tough to get rid of anti-tank. (that also is useful to assist shield my Marines with Cloud of Flies)  It is also only 1930 points, leaving 70 points free so I can summon either a Poxwalker to buff my PB bomb, or a min-sized PB unit to screen/stand on an objective somewhere.

As a side note: I've found the combination of Icon of Despair & Dolorous Knell on a Blightbringer to be very good against some armies.  Against such opponents, I'd probably spend the 1CP to bring it.  Fulgaris' Helm is the main Relic.

Daemon Prince of Nurgle
--Wings; Axe; Warlord: Arch-Contaminator; Fulgaris' Helm
Malignant Plaguecaster
14 Plague Marines
--2x Flails; Power Fist; Icon; 4x Bubontic Axe; 7x Dual Knives
10 Poxwalkers
10 Poxwalkers
Biologis Putrifier
Noxious Blightbringer
Foetid Bloat Drone w/ Fleshmower
Foetid Bloat Drone w/ 2x Plaguespitters
Plagueburst Crawler w/ 2x Entropy Cannons

Daemon Prince of Chaos
--Wings; Talons
1 Poxbringer
24 Plaguebearers w/ Icon, Instrument
3 Nurglings
3 Nurglings

List 2

This list included a unit of Terminators and a Rhino-riding Marine unit to provide more smalls arms fire where it's needed at the cost of nerfing my 3rd wave and losing a few tricks like the Biologis Putrifier.  I feel a little more comfortable with this list I think.  I'm considering dropping the Rhino and keeping those points for the summoning trick as above.

Daemon Prince of Nurgle
--Wings; Hellforged Axe; Warlord: Arch-Contaminator; Fulgaris' Helm
Malignant Plaguecaster
7 Plague Marines
--Power Fist; 2x Flail; 3x Axe; 1x Knife
7 Plague Marines
--2x Blight Launcher
10 Poxwalkers
Noxious Blightbringer
Foetid Bloat Drone w/ 2x Plaguespitters
5 Blightlord Terminators
--Blight Launcher; Flail; 3x Combi-Bolter; 4x Axe
Chaos Rhino

Daemon Prince of Chaos
--Wings; Talons
Poxbringer
20 Plaguebearers w/ Icon, Instrument
3 Nurglings
3 Nurglings

Anyone with more experience with the DG have any thoughts or comments?  Thanks!

Edited by MeltaRange, 13 December 2018 - 07:12 PM.

BlackTriton

BlackTriton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 582 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard
I like the first list.
Basic internet wisdom would dictate:

Fulgaris helm does not extend arc contaminator, so you're better with suppurating plate

I would do away with the icon, power fist and axes. Nit that they are bad, but you're better off with more boys than toys.
Also, if you walk the marine, consider 2x blight launcher. They can advance and still shoot those.

Entropy canon are often a waste on PBC, spitter are way better. Even more so if you do not have any rerolls to hit.

Use the points you saved to get a max unit of Plague bearers.

Now those are general guideline for what is good, you may have specific reason / meta that justify going against it.

Tokugawa

Tokugawa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 502 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Blightlord is a 0-or-10 choice. 5 is never competitive.

Keep PM squad cheap, give them 2 blight launchers, then they would be nearly decent. Over-toyed PM units(or any Powerarmored units, in 8th) are just toys.

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 348 posts
I would say axes are worth it, the +1S along with VotLW gives you 2A with 2+ to wound (on T4 targets) and -2AP while rerolling 1's. Throw on Blades and you get MW's on a 5+ and wounding T5 units on a 2+.

BlackTriton

BlackTriton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 582 posts
I agree that axes are good.

A good option for larger squads, I would avoid them for smaller squad. Double knives are more than adequate for most jobs, and if you consider the axes you already have 2 flails.
Boys before toys.

McElMcNinja

McElMcNinja

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 348 posts
I agree on the dual knives for cost and I've run a couple games where I would include a couple dual knives for my overwatch fodder. But with CoF I don't have to worry about overwatch so I feel better taking axes on all with a couple flails. The axes help against higher T like knights and tanks.

BlackTriton

BlackTriton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 582 posts
I see.
I like to use putrecent vitality when I need S5 weapon, +BoP +VotLW as usual. Axes only gain me the -2 AP that I do not value at 5pt. I try to keep my plague marine at no more than 20 pt upgrade per 5 guys.
But this really is fine tuning optimisation, it is not a big deal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users