Thunderwolf Army and Dreadnought Army conversion projects

Trokair

So back in 7th Edition when the AoS Stormcast Vanguard came out with the Gryph-Chargers I thought I would do a small conversion project and convert them into count as thunderwolf in a allied detachment to give me fast moving close combat force  for my other imperial armies. Alas I did not actually get as far as building them by the time 8th was announced and I held back then to see what would happen with the new Edition.

I have also always wanted to do a small dreadnought army and for a long time I thought I would have to be blood angle based, but with the amount of different dreads available to Wolves these days I thought I would combine both of these small projects.

So the goal is to build two 1000p forces that can combine to a large force.

I intend to start with the Thunderwolf half of the project and need some advice as the last time I played space Wolves was in 3rd edition.

I can build 6-9 Thunderwolves, 1-2 Thunderwolves HQ, 12-15 Wolf/Cyberwolf and 10 or so infantry.

For the 10 infantry models I have Vanguard Hunters, so Reivers seems like a good equivalent (appearance/ conversion perspective wise), though I was originally (in 7th) planning on doing them as Grey Hunters with them so that is also an option. In general however I think Stormcast based conversions are better suited to represent Primaris due to size. 

So focusing on an Outrider Detachment what HQ and equipment choices would give an ok 1000p generalist list. Are the two Thunderwolf special characters worth playing?

I would say the two TWC special characters are worth playing if you want to play to their rules. They're plenty fluffy and strong. Canis is probably slightly better of the two, I think? - mostly you want your TWC to pack SS/Hammer, but having a special character who can jump in front of charges while not having a weapon that might make him attack slowly can be great, and he's going to win most challenges you'd run into. They're both great with TWC/Fen Wolves/Cyberwolves to buff up, but I think that Harald's reroll 1s on hit is the slightly better rule given that you're probably Hammering away with your TWC, so it's the hit rolls that suck a little more than the wounds, I believe.

Basically, IF you're going to play with a TWC army, take the one whose special rules you will actually play around. Canis costs less. If you're not going to play around their rules, skip them.

I haven't been playing much, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I do disagree with tylerw (no hard feelings!). TWC seem to be much more points efficient when kitted to handle hoards, thinking chainswords with at least a few storm shields. Good synergy with the mount attacks and if your combining forces with dreads, you'll need some anti-hoard. Canis would fit in good with these guys, but I'd be tempted to make a lord with thunder hammer/storm shield to help out the dreads so they don't have to do all the heavy lifting if only going with one HQ. Couple minimal squads of Grey Hunter's could likely foot slog and score a few objectives without much harassment with all those other threats. Seems like a waste not to add one more squad of Grey Hunter's for minimal investment if you do run 2 HQ's to get CP's for a battalion.

I am considering taking a Lord and a Battle Leader for the different auras.

I am also thinking to equip one with Frost Sword (or the relic) and Power Fist and the other Thunder hammer and Storm shield.

Which would go better with which?

I am inclined to but the TH/SS on the Battle Leader so that he gets an Invonrable safe.

I am also considering running the TWC as TH on leader, Chainsword and SS on one regular guy and just Chainsword on the other regular guy.

The two HQ and two or three 3 man TWC get me to about 700p so I can fill the remainder with Wolves/Cyberwolves and Grey Hunter/Revivers.

I assume on the Grey Hunter plasma gun and PF on Leader is a standard set up?

I like running Bjorn in place of the Lord for the hit which allows for the battle leader to get the armor of Russ (and SS now they are so cheap).

As for the Grey Hunters, it depends on the need. I like running both plasma and melta, seeing where the needs are and potentially outflanking one where it would hurt the most.

Edit: To clarify, one squad full plasma and one full melta.

Archived