Imperial Fists with Vallejo Game Color / Army Painter Washes

appiah4

• 1 year later...

OK, so I realize I started this thread a long time ago but only now did I get around to actually experiment with it.

Ladies and gentlement, I present you Mustardial Fists featuring Vallejo Model Color Paints and Army Painter Ink Washes.

gallery_60983_15146_674652.jpg

It's quite forgiving and simple for what it is, and even though it's not the signature IF yellow, it's close enough to the more muted yellow I wanted to end up with - if a bit more mustard-like than I had envisioned.

I like it, and my Imperial Fists will henceforth be painted this way.

One last post, as I realized I posted photos of the result but not the way I achieved it.  Here is the rather simple method I use for my Mustardial Fists:

Prime: Duplicolor Grey Primer

Basecoat: VGC Heavy Goldbrown
Shading 1: VMC Goldbrown (Broad Recess Shading) (An ever so slightly darker shade of the base color, doing this adds depth to otherwise flat parts of the armor such as shoulderpads, abdomen area and legs that fine recess shading will not provide)
Shading 2: APIW Soft Tone (Fine Recess Shading)
Highlight 1: VMC Deep Yellow (Broad Highlights) (As with the broad shading, this improves depth and contrast across the figure.)
Highlight 2: VMC Flat Yellow (Fine Highlights)
Highlight 3: VMC Ice Yellow (Corner Highlights) (Optional)

If you want shortcuts, I guess you could completely skip Highlight 3.  You could also skip Shading 1 and Highlight 3 if you want it done fast, but it will look a bit flat.

Hopefully this thread will be useful to someone. :biggrin.:

Edited by appiah5

I painted a 7th Legion army for 30k, so I got to practice painting yellow a lot. I wanted a really bright yellow, unlike the slightly brownish colour you get with Averland. I found that Yriel yellow over a white undercoat was the best starting point.

More recently the new wraithbone spray has come out for the contrast range. I actually find this even better than white for the first coat, before the Yriel goes on. It gives a really smooth coat that's great for getting a good finish over. This is becoming my go-to undercoat spray now as a result.