Vigilus Fluff/Lore Summary

Lord Marshal

The nightmares that plagued Vigilus' citizens only get worse. Eventually, an Inquisitor comes to understand that they are babling in no known language, but when multiple sufferers are brought together, they speak the words "The Dark King is coming."

Well that's pretty much a confirmation, isn't it? Wonder if we'll see something at the New Year Open Day, even if it's not the man himself, or if we'll have to wait until March.

Technically, the Ravenwing withdraw from one battle with the White Scars, and then commit their full forces, Ravenwing and Deathwing included, in the later battles against the Black Legion, so it's not really as bad as it is made out to be.

It would just be best if it wasn’t there at all. It’s supposed to be a secret and rare thing, but if you go by the lore books and black library, my god, it’s a miracle they get anything done at all.

Honestly, is there any 40K book that involves the Dark Angels that doesn’t have them going after Fallen?

I don't expect much about what i'm going to ask to be there but...Do we have any more info on who's there for the IF?

Fall of Cadia/the 8th rulebook left us with 9/10th of the chapter traveling into the eye of terror and then we got nothing to follow up on that so i'm kinda curious

They are stated as having three companies and one demi-company on Vigilus. They are led by Captain Dravastis Fane of the 5th Company. The Imperial Guard jokingly call their positions 'The Thin Yellow Line' although it comes from a place of respect.

Any mention of what BT are doing actually?

Probably on a BBQ.

Absolutely no mention beyond there being one company present.

You can tell this team does not give a :cuss about the lore beyond ultras when they :cuss on CF shooting on unharmed civilians, have a meme DA/fallen combo, call IH boss a chapter master, and a crusade a company.

The devil is in the details. If they can't get those right they don't deserve my money.

You can tell this team does not give a :cuss about the lore beyond ultras when they :cuss on CF shooting on unharmed civilians, have a meme DA/fallen combo, call IH boss a chapter master, and a crusade a company.

The devil is in the details. If they can't get those right they don't deserve my money.

I haven't read the exact phrasing of the CF shooting civilians part, but they were told to quarantine the city because of Genestealer cults and the crowd started pelting them with rocks. Not a real threat, but they may have thought it was going to escalate. Don't know. I'd have to read it myself.

The summary says the DA-RW veered off. Did it say it all why? Or are we left to assume? It is a bit over used as a DA trope for sure.

The IH "chapter master" and the BT "company" could be chocked up to an outsider's perspective. A single strike cruiser shows up and launches 10 drop pods. "Oh, OK the BT deployed a company."

You can tell this team does not give a :censored: about the lore beyond ultras when they :censored: on CF shooting on unharmed civilians, have a meme DA/fallen combo, call IH boss a chapter master, and a crusade a company.

I haven't read the exact phrasing of the CF shooting civilians part, but they were told to quarantine the city because of Genestealer cults and the crowd started pelting them with rocks. Not a real threat, but they may have thought it was going to escalate. Don't know. I'd have to read it myself.

Pretty much. Calgar knows there's Cultists hiding among the refugees which is why he won't risk letting them in after they begin to withdraw. It's worth noting that in the Crimson Fist section that Pedro Kantor convinces the Ministorum to allow refugees to evacuate in the first place. They and the Cadians spend most of the campaign trying to evacuate them. It's when Calgar orders Imperial forces to pull out that they're forced to stop it.

The summary says the DA-RW veered off. Did it say it all why? Or are we left to assume? It is a bit over used as a DA trope for sure.

It doesn't in both the main story and the Dark Angels-specific part. I think the assumption is meant to be The Fallen, but it's never even implied. It's made even worse in the Dark Angel section on account of them almost taking out the Ork's command centre and without actually telling the White Scars they're buggering off.

Also speaking as a history nerd I'd like express my enthusiasm for the fact that the Black Legion, my eternal faction of choice, are now practising the Hellenistic policy of doriktetos khora (spear-won land, δορίκτητος χώρα in Attic), makes me incredibly happy

That is all

I like the 'suddenly, heldrakes! And raptors! Calgar is under attack because he forgot the sky exists.'

I guess Shaun of the Dead was right, [imperial lap]dogs can't look up. 

I don't expect much about what i'm going to ask to be there but...Do we have any more info on who's there for the IF?

Fall of Cadia/the 8th rulebook left us with 9/10th of the chapter traveling into the eye of terror and then we got nothing to follow up on that so i'm kinda curious

They are stated as having three companies and one demi-company on Vigilus. They are led by Captain Dravastis Fane of the 5th Company. The Imperial Guard jokingly call their positions 'The Thin Yellow Line' although it comes from a place of respect.So they cha

So a new captain (again..) for the fidth and no real hints of what happened...Oh well.

I've never been phased by Logan Grimnar being called a Chapter Master instead of Great Wolf or High-King or what not. People getting triggered over it with the Ironhands is super pendantic.

Please provide me with instances of that happening.

Or how the cool kids say it: Sauce.

Ah well Young Captain Ragnar Blackmane does sound good. But people might not take him seriously because of his age tho.

But seriously, it shows a certain level of disconnect, that shows that they don't care toouch about it.

The other day on 40k FB page I had saw them calling a BT lieutenant a Marshal, whem it should have been a Castellan. If they don't know the basic stuff about the chapters they write about, for me that does not bode well.

I've never been phased by Logan Grimnar being called a Chapter Master instead of Great Wolf or High-King or what not. People getting triggered over it with the Ironhands is super pendantic.

Except that Logan Grimnar fulfills the office of Chapter Master, Great Wolf is just his title.

The Iron Hands do not have the office of Chapter Master. An Iron Father is elected to lead a campaign, and hold dictator-style power over the chapter—yes, including command of the Exterminatus weapons—but he is not, in fact, a Chapter Master. He returns power to the Iron Council on conclusion of the campaign, and though he might be given that power again, it is because the Iron Council saw fit to grant it to him.

Space Wolves have a Chapter Master in all but name. Iron Hands have a Warleader who is not a Chapter Master and should not be named as such. The office of Warleader is not always filled, and the clan companies will often operate independently of one another unless at the direction of the Iron Council or their appointed Warleader.

Edit: abhor the typo.

Please provide me with instances of that happening.

Or how the cool kids say it: Sauce.

Ah well Young Captain Ragnar Blackmane does sound good. But people might not take him seriously because of his age tho.

But seriously, it shows a certain level of disconnect, that shows that they don't care toouch about it.

The other day on 40k FB page I had saw them calling a BT lieutenant a Marshal, whem it should have been a Castellan. If they don't know the basic stuff about the chapters they write about, for me that does not bode well.

This is it isnt it... It's more that the new studio writers have abandoned all the old fluff

They know less of the setting than the store staff

Any info on what Stygies VIII forces are doing there?

Over a thousand years ago, the Magi of Stygies VIII forged a pact with Vigilus’ then Planetary Governor granting them absolute ownership of the continent Megaborealis. In return, it was agreed that the Tech-Priests would contribute the might of the Adeptus Mechanicus and its aligned Knight Houses to the planet’s defense. That agreement is known as the Pact of Fire and Steel. The Stygian Adeptus Mechanicus have been secretly excavating the rare element known as "blackstone".

You can tell this team does not give a :censored: about the lore beyond ultras when they :censored: on CF shooting on unharmed civilians, have a meme DA/fallen combo, call IH boss a chapter master, and a crusade a company.

There's no reason why a crusade can't be spread over multiple planets, which would make its forces on one planet a (fighting) company.

There's no mention of fallen in the book. Instead it appears more that there's some secret in the planet's dust storms and that the Unforgiven knew that the Black Legion were going to turn up but didn't share that information. The Dark Angels are secretive in general, not just about the Fallen.

The Crimson Fists are actually described as letting refugees through when no one else is prepared to. The shooting starts when the evacuation becomes completely impractical.

Crusades are based on objectives, so any given fighting company will also be the X Crusade even if under the purview of a Marshal’s command in the old lore. Grimaldus’ Fighting Company was the Helsreach Crusade, for instance, directly said in the book. It was also part of the larger Armageddon Crusade at the direct command of the High Marshal. So if the guys at Vigilus are the Vigilus Crusade at only Fighting Company strength it isn’t indicative of being only those guys though it might be only those guys.

This actually seems like a solidly written bit of lore. I do like that Calgar is getting his hands dirty with some grim decision making that, while cruel, makes sense given the situation.

I plan on picking up the book now, for sure!

Archived