Sword Brethren - Vigilus Special Detachment - And You

Iago

Link2edition, according to that conclusion, would you consider using crusader squads for that role? They are troops so they have Defenders of Humanity rule.

I guess I should be more clear. The list I was running used both Sword bros and crusaders as melee combatants. This pulled my troops away from objectives and I lost by scenario, despite the massive damage I was causing. If you look at my updated list (in the comments here:http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/353670-bt-list-for-funtimes-flyers-and-feet-2k/) you will seed the adjustments I made.

In short, I need my crusaders to provide fire support, and for my characters and sword brethren to mix it up in melee. I think the list has a lot of potential but it will need lots more tweaks to get there.

I don't think it's been mentioned here yet. Has anyone used the Field Commander strategem that allows you to give the Vigilus BT Warlord trait to a non-named character if it's in a sword brethren detachement? If I read it correctly it seems it can be used  in addition to having the regular BT Warlord trait if you're running Helbrecht, Grimaldus or the EC who can't take it.

no, you can run a additional Warlord for one CP with this Warlord-Trait - a non-named character.

I think he means you can take a named character as Warlord, running them with Oathkeeper, and then run a Marshal with Blade master using the strategem. That character has a trait, but is not the Warlord.

I imagine it's not been popular because Oathkeeper isn't worth taking, so you may as well save the CP and make the Marshal the Warlord.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since the detachment was released, how is it working out for everyone? What load outs are you using every game? Which looked good but play badly?

TH + SS have been consistently beast mode for me, I haven't tried sword&boards yet so I'm curious how that's been working out. I've ran 2xChainswords once or twice but unfortunately the unit didn't get a chance to do anything.

I've run some chainsword wielding Sword Brethren and with Helbrecht and Grimaldus nearby they are pretty solid, killed two Custodes bikes last week with them.

I really love how powerful marshals become with the warlord trait and buffs from our characters, had several opponents do a double take when he went full zerker mode on them!

Most of all I enjoy the thematic structure of the detachment, it really reminds me of how Templars are supposed to play.

I run the detachment with Helbrecht, a Lieutenant with thunder hammer, two sets of 5 with SS and axes, and an ironclad dreadnought in a stormraven. It makes up a pretty crunchy Vanguard. I'd suggest swords over axes in most cases, but there are a lot of Ork and Nurgle players in my local meta, and I use them for hunting down T5 units that my normal boys struggle with. The stormraven kill squad hunting the board, and one LR crusader with Grimaldus, 13 boys, another thunderhammer lieutenant, and the EC make up the base of a lot of my lists. Toss in a couple MSU lascannon teams and I have just enough points to squeeze in a Las Pred, shooty dread, or something else to help anchor my back lines.

Most people at my LGS have learned to fear my kill squad of 5 sword brethren with power fists and storm shields with Helbrecht in tow. 16 power fist attacks at strength 10 re rolling to hit and wound is nasty. 

Also taking a Sword Master with thunder hammer, plasma pistol, and Jetpack to accompany my Primaris Inceptors with plasma. Makes for a really nasty drop force. Sword Master Captain DeathHammer KO'd the Avatar of Khaine with exploding 6's. It was epic. 

run them in a tournament. my company veterans sword brethren killed a serpent and the sword Master killed two Razorwing Jets.

they killed a 16 squad of genestealers and survived. Against Tau  - my Swordmaster killed 10 firewarrriors before get killed

Yesterday i made a adjustment right before the match. I swapped helbrecht to grimaldus, smashmarshal and the vets got axes.

These 7 guys killed 27 boyz in 1 turn. The last 3 ran away in agony

Sorry if I sound dismissive there, but in short you used 300pts worth of models and 3 CP to deal with 200 pts worth of models ?

What I'm curious to know is what happened next. Would I be right in guessing they got murdered by ranged fire ?

edit : nothing against you there, it's only that it guts me we need to pay 3 CP to give +1A for 1 phase when for 2CPs 10 intercessors get that for the entire game.

But those intercessors probably don't want to be in combat at all if they can help it, they are much more useful blasting away.

And it only costs 3cp if you play the strats, with Grimaldus in the fray, it's quite possible he did all that with just one, the one to purchase the detachment. Grimaldus is really good now he's only 90 points.

The odds of that would be astronomically low though.

Edit : as for veteran intercessors not wanting to be in melee, yes of course they wouldn't, but they might end up in it just the same.

edit : nothing against you there, it's only that it guts me we need to pay 3 CP to give +1A for 1 phase when for 2CPs 10 intercessors get that for the entire game.

Intercessors still have only S4 AP0 D1 attacks though. They are hardly a melee unit. Reivers with combat blades have the same amount of S4 AP0 D1 attacks for 0 CP and can even deep strike and nobody really considers them to be a proper melee unit. :sweat:

And let's not forget that those CPs purchase wound rerolls in addition to the extra attacks. That said I do feel our sword brethren are best used as either A) big game hunters with hard hitting weapons, or B) cheap HQ bodyguards to protects smash captains/sigislash and Helbrecht. I've had great success using thunder hammer sword brethren with Helbrecth and a smash captain (sigismash?) to kill knights while my LRCs transport them and chew through hordes.

Yesterday i made a adjustment right before the match. I swapped helbrecht to grimaldus, smashmarshal and the vets got axes.These 7 guys killed 27 boyz in 1 turn. The last 3 ran away in agony

Sorry if I sound dismissive there, but in short you used 300pts worth of models and 3 CP to deal with 200 pts worth of models ?What I'm curious to know is what happened next. Would I be right in guessing they got murdered by ranged fire ?edit : nothing against you there, it's only that it guts me we need to pay 3 CP to give +1A for 1 phase when for 2CPs 10 intercessors get that for the entire game.

He tried to.

But the 3++ invul and the 5+ FnP made it happen, that only one company vet hit the ground.

Frustrated he charged them with his 2 warbosses and a death dread.

The huge thread of a lot of attacks was gone. So they stood their ground (3++ invul is insane. And emperor blessed me with good roles)

Archived