Danny Cyanide does Imperial Knights

Danny Cyanide

Hi guys,

I've been really busy offer the last few months, but recently had the opportunity to begin a new project. Over the last week I've had the time to assemble 8 Imperial Knights and an really looking forward to moving forward with this project!

StTl31E.jpg

Pictured above:

Knight Castigaror

Knight Acheron

Knight Castellan

Knight Valiant

Knight Crusader

Knight Gallant

Knight Paladin

Knight Warden

I used the terrain from the Renegades box for basing material on the group.

I'm going to go for a custom House. I don't have a name yet, but I do have a scheme planned. The armor is going to be white marble, with blue tinted black trim. Each knighs will have their own personal heraldry color, that will be done in transparent paint over the marble pattern.

In my head it looks wicked, we will see how it turns out. Likely won't get started on painting then until after Christmas though.

In my head it looks wicked, we will see how it turns out. Likely won't get started on painting then until after Christmas though.

This is the part I'm most excited for!  Eager to see the first test model up here.  Which Knight are you thinking will get looked at first?

• 1 month later...

So I've worked out my first 2000 point Knights list and got to work on them today. I built the Armiger Helverin and got the skeletons of the knights primed.

Forgive the weird arm position in the Castellan, he's posed for primer application right now!

Y2aNv85.jpg

I also had an amazing Household Coat of Arms made for me by a user here, Iron Hands Fanatic:

c6XXX0Z.png

Here is the army list for these guys:

++ Super-Heavy Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Imperial Knights) [48 PL, 928pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Household Choice: Questor Imperialis

+ Lord of War +

Armiger Warglaives [9 PL, 162pts]

. Armiger Warglaive: Heavy Stubber

Armiger Warglaives [9 PL, 162pts]

. Armiger Warglaive: Heavy Stubber

Knight Castellan [30 PL, 604pts]

. Two Siegebreaker Cannons and Two Shieldbreaker Missiles: 2x Shieldbreaker Missile, 2x Twin Siegebreaker Cannon

++ Super-Heavy Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Imperial Knights) [59 PL, 1070pts] ++

+ Lord of War +

Armiger Helverins [9 PL, 172pts]

. Armiger Helverin: Heavy Stubber

Cerastus Knight-Castigator [25 PL, 430pts]: Castigator Bolt Cannon, Tempest Warblade

Knight Crusader [25 PL, 468pts]: Heavy Stubber, Ironstorm Missile Pod, Thermal Cannon

. Avenger Gatling Cannon w/ Heavy Flamer: Avenger Gatling Cannon, Heavy Flamer

++ Total: [107 PL, 1998pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

I really like the marbling pattern on your Armiger. I can see that looking really impressive on the larger Knights where you've got a bit more scale to play with. Also, that Coat of Arms by IHF is amazing. You're going to have a great looking Knight household at this rate. Looking forward to seeing the Castigator painted up. :)

Any reason for the split to two detachments? You get the same amount of CP if you do this in one detachment for the same CP generation, just have to make the warglaives a single squad and that drops your deployment amounts.

I took the test paint a little further because I wanted to see the finished scheme on a finished model before adding paint to the entire group, and while I was painting my color plans changed drastically.

I had originally planned to do all the panels in the pinkish cream marble, and then spray transparent paint over some of the panels in a different color for each Knight.

I decided to try painting black and green marble on my test Armiger, and this is going to be the new House Hartwick colors. The layout of the colors will vary from Knight to Knight, but these 3 varieties of marble will make up all of the paneling!

Front:

ZODdRRY.jpg

Left:

H2GblHs.jpg

Rear:

gP8UxRn.jpg

Right:

I have a little clean up to do in the transition from green to metal, but I really wanted to get these posted! Lol

Ct5cnvf.jpg

I'm really looking forward to doing these patterns on the bigger Knights where I will have much more space to play with!

Thanks guys! This has been a really fun technique to mess around with! I started working on the rest of the knights yesterday and got some of the marbling started on the Castigator, and it is so much nicer to do in the big panels! So much easier to get way more depth in the effect!

Manufactorum at full capacity:

YsKIUhO.jpg

Castigator panels:

Z1FRsSH.jpg

Agreed. You had the right layering on the pale colour but the darker needed more mottling. That second attempt is night-and-day better. Be sure to take the same technique into the green more as well; it's somewhere in between the black and white and could use a nudge more toward your new improved process. Great progress.

I did another technique rework on the black marble, as I was not really happy with it. I'm much happier with this version, it has much more depth:

Ct4BKeY.jpg

What's that thing on the Armiger's back? A pulpit, i.e., the Knight serves as a Ministorum Priest's transport? A phased array (see radars on Aegis Combat System-equipped warships)? Long-range missiles' vertical launching system?

Beautiful paint jobs. In-universe, how is the marbling applied? Do craftsmen painstakingly paint the patterns onto the Knights' armor, to decorate it? Or is it a natural effect of the technique the Knightly Houses use to manufacture ceramite, and your Knights don't feel it warrants any more attention than patterns on Damascus steel swords?

My head fluff is that the Knight Household has a very robust artisan class, that painstakingly paint and maintain the visual glory of the knights.

This class is a very respected class, with the Lord Artisan holding nearly as much political power on their planet as the head of the Knight Household. They are very respected and young talented artist are nurtured.

My Household bears a dual Alligiance to the Imperium and Mechanicus, which I'm not sure is ok in universe, but I'm ok with it in my head. They see themselves as a planet apartt from both, but count each as important allies, so they have fostered political and martial relationships with both organizations.

Damn, that marble effect looks great. Most marble effects I've seem so far were a lot simpler, and just for single models.

How long does it take to marble a single knight? At the current speed, the full knight list seems possible in an acceptable time, and not (like most locals with knights) an eternal Pile of Shame.

I'm not sure about a single Knight as I've been working in the guys in batches, but it's not really fast. Airbrushing panels with smooth transitions would have been much quicker. I would guess that I have about 24 hours into painting the 3 big Knights so far, and they are still a long way from finished.

Archived