Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Animated 40k series coming 2019

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

Martox

Martox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts
  • Faction: Orks

Whilst part of me is very pleased that this is actually being backed by GW - I have 2 criticisms.

1 - Textures. The titan in particular is lacking if you look at the foot. Duplication of parts, like those found on the marines in the previews, is acceptable as it's a time saver.
2 - Animations. It may be a trailer choice, but everything seems very slow and deliberate. Particularly the marine hefting the chainsword before the titan goes by. I really do hope it is a trailer choice.

I'm intrigued and glad it's happening but... I think the person(s?) behind Astartes would've been the better choice.

"We attack without warning, mercy or hesitation. Let the enemies of Mankind know we will purge every last one of them, and let them shake in fear."

Chapter Master Valrak

Chapter Master Valrak

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,828 posts

I spoke to Richard, he is indeed working on this with GW! Amazing, well done, mate! Massively deserved with all your amazing work on Helsreach and the Guardsmen short!

• Reyner, templargdt, Reclusiarch Krieg and 2 others like this

Mt7WQJG.png

-----------
Youtube - Twitch - Discord - Twitter - Steam Warhammer Group

-----------

My WIP Imperial Fists Army  happy.png

Yodhrin

Yodhrin

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 728 posts

Whilst part of me is very pleased that this is actually being backed by GW - I have 2 criticisms.

1 - Textures. The titan in particular is lacking if you look at the foot. Duplication of parts, like those found on the marines in the previews, is acceptable as it's a time saver.
2 - Animations. It may be a trailer choice, but everything seems very slow and deliberate. Particularly the marine hefting the chainsword before the titan goes by. I really do hope it is a trailer choice.

I'm intrigued and glad it's happening but... I think the person(s?) behind Astartes would've been the better choice.

I agree on the textures, but this is hopefully just a "proof of concept" teaser, and the final version will be a bit sharper and lacking the gratuitous film grain effect.

Not sure I agree on the animations. I like my Marines and Dreadnoughts big, chunky, and ponderous, they should have a lot of "weight" to their movements.

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

++ SECTURATOR BIPENNIFER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,822 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
Marines are between a rock and a hard place... They look massive. They look like they should be moving with a lot of gravitas. But the canon says they are faster, more agile and have better reaction time than any human possibly can.

Seams like a tough balance to me.

Anyways. I just watched the trailer. It looks awesome. If this turns out better than helsreach then it might get my brother fired up about 40k again. Lol.

I think I have reasonable expectations. The guy who did helsreach did a fantastic job of it. Given that the story is a damned good one to begin with, but he had to adapt it for the series. And animate everything, and develops his animation process, and piece it all together. And it was a side project while he paid the bills some other way.

With BL author's actually trying to write a script (which is not at all the same as writing a novel) it may be knew to then, but it will also let them write for a visual media on purpose. There are things one can do in a media that one cannot in another. So I've got good expectations there.

GW said its their best authors. That's open to interpretation. We can definitly get into a discussion of work that can be.

Obviously ADB is top knotch and his work has already passed thru boylands capable hands.

Dan Abnet is great too... And since he was involved with the guardians of the galaxy comics and the the films he has good experiance seeing his work end up on screen. So he can definitly and probably has already pondered 40k "on screen" so I think his involvement woukd be a good choice too!

I'm excited. It's been a long time coming.

But we are in a post LOTR/HOBBIT blockbuster film era. We are deep into the Marvel Cinematic Universe block busters and accompanying tv/netflix/hulu series era.

At no point in my life could I see 40k hitting the screen and being better accepted than now and into the future.

I've spent the last 2 decades of my life watching films and tv and mentally filtering moments as being "very 40k" I don't know if my brain can handle it actually happening. 😂

Edited by Canadian_F_H, 17 December 2018 - 06:07 PM.

• Son of Carnelian, Doctor Perils and Kallas like this

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

It's definitely possible to make Marines move fast and still have some weight to them. Soundeffects will help a lot to achieve that especially.

• Kallas likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch

++ CRUDIOR ÆTERNO ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,299 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines, Necrons

I hope we get to experience transhuman dread from a traitor guardsman. Something the with the weight and armor of a battle tank shouldn't be moving that fast, but it is, and ohholyfrakwe'rebeingoverrunsendreinforcementssendARGH!
To really sell how different astartes are from the regular man. I think they can make it work, and Terminator armor would make it even better to sell the disconnect between gravitas and speed that Astartes have.

Haven't yet watched the trailer due to location but It sounds like this will be a treat!

• Kallas likes this

Dosjeska: But then again we are Iron Hands, we will use a hammer as a scalpel. Ace Debonair: Loyalists bow to The Emperor, Heretics bow to their Dark Gods, but everybody bows to Captain Semper. Brian Blaire: Bolted for emphasis
There are 4 boxes to use in the defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo. Use in that order. -anon [][] Laus Alit Artes-Praise Nourishes the Arts
gallery_77459_13226_2824.pnggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpgDawn Blades Iron Gauntlet Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch's Workshopgallery_26154_15777_16051.png
Dawn Blades: W/L/D: 2/9/1 wh40k 8th 0/0/0 Kill Team
Naculan Dynasty: W/L/D: 0/0/0 wh40k 8th 1/1/0 Kill Team

Martox

Martox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 287 posts
  • Faction: Orks

Marines are between a rock and a hard place... They look massive. They look like they should be moving with a lot of gravitas. But the canon says they are faster, more agile and have better reaction time than any human possibly can.

The Dawn of War 2 trailer and Space Marine managed to fit that niche, I think. That would be the point to reach for if anything in my opinion. As Yodhrin says this could be a proof of concept and the final thing is yet to be seen though so my criticisms may still well be moot.

Here's hoping, love me some 3d animation.

• Son of Carnelian and Kallas like this

"We attack without warning, mercy or hesitation. Let the enemies of Mankind know we will purge every last one of them, and let them shake in fear."

Indefragable

Indefragable

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,675 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels
I am quite hopeful for this.

BA? Yes
Classic Marines and not New Coke Space Marines? Yes.

As a serious BA fanboy, I hope they find good inspiration and represent the BA well. My fear is that they go to far to one of the extremes with either “red ultramarines” or “black rage o’clock” where the only thing that seems to define them is the plot-convenient roid rage to save the day every time the big baddie shows up.

Much, much, much hope.
  • m0nolith, Nemesor Tyriks and Kallas like this

Call me Indy. It's less syllables.

gallery_93095_13980_27776.jpgETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Astartes

Philip S

Philip S

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 713 posts
  • Faction: Space Marines - Dark Angels

I hope that GW goes the opposite route of Star Trek and 'licence' and support the fan made movies, and collect them together as part of the community. However, that would require them to have an actual community on their website. Remember when Black Library had a forum?

Philip

Stofficus

Stofficus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 441 posts

OldMarines and box 'naughts? 

Most intriguing. Still haven't seen Helsreach though, probably should get on that, but, you know, Black Templars, ick. ;)

• Kallas likes this
Therefore, I conclude, Valve should announce Half Life 2: Episode 3.
Posted Image

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,807 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

Most intriguing. Still haven't seen Helsreach though, probably should get on that, but, you know, Black Templars, ick. ;)

I'm actually quite disappointed by this.

-~Ishagu~-

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,822 posts

The Dawn of War 2 trailer and Space Marine managed to fit that niche, I think. That would be the point to reach for if anything in my opinion. As Yodhrin says this could be a proof of concept and the final thing is yet to be seen though so my criticisms may still well be moot.

Here's hoping, love me some 3d animation.
Very much so.

And you know they HAD to get the marines right in space marine since you'd be staring at the back of one for the entire game and multi-player experiance as he shoots, stabs, and pulverises his way thru a veritable Sea of greenskins and what not.

Edited by Canadian_F_H, 17 December 2018 - 06:44 PM.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

Creating animations takes a lot of time. Who knows when he started with it. Potentially before Primaris got announced even. Anyway, it's nice to see that not everything new coming out is Primaris propaganda. I like Primaris but sometimes it feels a little bit too on the nose.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,822 posts

Creating animations takes a lot of time. Who knows when he started with it. Potentially before Primaris got announced even. Anyway, it's nice to see that not everything new coming out is Primaris propaganda. I like Primaris but sometimes it feels a little bit too on the nose.

I don't think he has been working on it since before primaris.. But it's a guess either way until proven otherwise.

As for not primaris. If the story is anything set between the start of the unification wars and guilliman's arrival on Terra after his reawakening, then there shouldn't be one even wispered of...
  • Panzer likes this

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,125 posts

I agree on the textures, but this is hopefully just a "proof of concept" teaser, and the final version will be a bit sharper and lacking the gratuitous film grain effect.

Not sure I agree on the animations. I like my Marines and Dreadnoughts big, chunky, and ponderous, they should have a lot of "weight" to their movements.

I don't think this is the final product, the marines look like cut and paste and the Helsreach marines are all very individual looking. Like you say it looks like a concept rather than the actual series.

Truescale MKIII Tutorial

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

I don't think he has been working on it since before primaris.. But it's a guess either way until proven otherwise.
As for not primaris. If the story is anything set between the start of the unification wars and guilliman's arrival on Terra after his reawakening, then there shouldn't be one even wispered of...

Yeah it was just a "potentially", not a "likely". ^^

Edited by sfPanzer, 17 December 2018 - 07:03 PM.

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,289 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

As cool as this is - happy it's not some kind of Primaris advert - I'm a little disappointed it's not made by a proper studio. Given that GW had mentioned possible forays into media/television my hopes were momentarily lifted when I saw the article title. Look forward to it nonetheless

bRxSYDV.png

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,349 posts

reminds me of 90s/early 2000s animation like reboot and beast wars.

i feel like the key to reaching a wider audience with 40k is to resist being over indulgent like Helsreach was at certain times. Hard balance to strike.

Edited by Wispy, 17 December 2018 - 10:04 PM.

Raven1

Raven1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,073 posts
That has promise. I didn't read the article do we know the platform it will be released on? If it follows something like the Starship Troopers animated series it could be fairly good in execution.

gallery_33260_13323_10404.pnggallery_33260_13323_11012.pngETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_02_.jpgETL_VI_Badge_Forum_Champion_Chaos_DemonsETL_Medal_01.gif

kombatwombat

kombatwombat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 534 posts

Most intriguing. Still haven't seen Helsreach though, probably should get on that, but, you know, Black Templars, ick. ;)

I think you’ll struggle to find sympathy on that count. ;)

Super excited for this, but one problem - this means the creator will have to choose between Helsreach and this. For anybody with bills to pay and mouths to feed, that’s an easy choice unfortunately. I hope they can work something out like making Helsreach an official and paid-for product so they can finish it.
  • D3L likes this

Plasmablasts

Plasmablasts

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 940 posts

That has promise. I didn't read the article do we know the platform it will be released on? If it follows something like the Starship Troopers animated series it could be fairly good in execution.

No mention of a platform. I came away with impression that it would be hosted on the Community site, similar to the webcomics they’ve added this year.

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,807 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

I think you’ll struggle to find sympathy on that count. ;)

Super excited for this, but one problem - this means the creator will have to choose between Helsreach and this. For anybody with bills to pay and mouths to feed, that’s an easy choice unfortunately. I hope they can work something out like making Helsreach an official and paid-for product so they can finish it.

The Primaris look so much better though...
  • Bloodmaster likes this

-~Ishagu~-

Kallas

Kallas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,381 posts
  • Faction: Howling Griffons

In your opinion, and when Marines have been notably heroically scaled for a long time. True scale animated Marines will, given that it's from the maker of the Helsreach videos, look amazing.

Edit: Go play Space Marine (again?). That's got well proportioned Marines (and Ultramarines too, so one of your boxes checked ;) ) and they look and 'feel' like proper Space Marines. No Primaris need apply, thank you very much.

Edited by Kallas, 18 December 2018 - 12:15 AM.

• D3L and Panzer like this

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,349 posts

Most intriguing. Still haven't seen Helsreach though, probably should get on that, but, you know, Black Templars, ick. msn-wink.gif

I think you’ll struggle to find sympathy on that count. msn-wink.gif

The Primaris aesthetic is basically tailor made for what they're doing. It's right in line with contemporary character design trends - hell, it was explicitly designed with that in mind. The Primaris aesthetic will grok to wider audiences in a ways that classic marines can't.

Edited by Wispy, 18 December 2018 - 12:22 AM.

Juggernut

Juggernut

++ MEDICAE MONTANEA ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,751 posts
  • Faction: All Things Khornate

Awesome. Very pleased to see a chapter other than Ultramarines, as well.

• Silverson likes this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users