Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Animated 40k series coming 2019

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

Ovidius Incertus

Ovidius Incertus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,184 posts
  • Faction: Flesh Tearers

Richard Boylan is doing a livestream on Youtube at this moment (8:00 pm EST).

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,848 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

OldMarines and box 'naughts?

Most intriguing. Still haven't seen Helsreach though, probably should get on that, but, you know, Black Templars, ick. msn-wink.gif

I'm actually quite disappointed by this.
I think you’ll struggle to find sympathy on that count. msn-wink.gif

Super excited for this, but one problem - this means the creator will have to choose between Helsreach and this. For anybody with bills to pay and mouths to feed, that’s an easy choice unfortunately. I hope they can work something out like making Helsreach an official and paid-for product so they can finish it.
The Primaris look so much better though...

The Primaris aesthetic is basically tailor made for what they're doing. It's right in line with contemporary character design trends - hell, it was explicitly designed with that in mind. The Primaris aesthetic will grok to wider audiences in a ways that classic marines can't.

You’d be hard pressed to look at a piece of old marine art from the golden age and compare it to the new Primaris art and then show that a person totally unfamiliar with the setting and have them pick out which one is the oldmarine. Space marines look like their art. Not their models.
  • Panzer likes this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,329 posts
  • Faction: n/a, don't do TT

I want to see the guy doing Astartes get his monies, the sound work and animation for that is astounding

• Azaiel, PeteySödes, Carach and 2 others like this

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,349 posts

OldMarines and box 'naughts?

Most intriguing. Still haven't seen Helsreach though, probably should get on that, but, you know, Black Templars, ick. msn-wink.gif

I'm actually quite disappointed by this.
I think you’ll struggle to find sympathy on that count. msn-wink.gif

Super excited for this, but one problem - this means the creator will have to choose between Helsreach and this. For anybody with bills to pay and mouths to feed, that’s an easy choice unfortunately. I hope they can work something out like making Helsreach an official and paid-for product so they can finish it.
The Primaris look so much better though...
The Primaris aesthetic is basically tailor made for what they're doing. It's right in line with contemporary character design trends - hell, it was explicitly designed with that in mind. The Primaris aesthetic will grok to wider audiences in a ways that classic marines can't.
You’d be hard pressed to look at a piece of old marine art from the golden age and compare it to the new Primaris art and then show that a person totally unfamiliar with the setting and have them pick out which one is the oldmarine. Space marines look like their art. Not their models.
I disagree with that because i think the big turn off for regular folks is the prominant vacuum faced helmets. Primaris helmets with their shredder masks are more mass-media friendly.

Edit: i think box-dreads and bell bottom feet are are dopey for for mas-media too - redemptors look better imo and primaris boots diffuse the bell bottom pants with how the armour components while retaining the shape.

Edited by Wispy, 18 December 2018 - 01:52 AM.

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,848 posts
More shredder than the iron armor helmet? You know there’s like 8 non Primaris armor types to include chapter specific knight style helms, right? You need to go back to the art.

https://goo.gl/images/KJDs4t

Nothing about this is unpalatable to the people who would like Primaris.

Edited by Marshal Rohr, 18 December 2018 - 02:06 AM.

• Volt, Biscuittzz, D3L and 1 other like this

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

Vykes

Vykes

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,154 posts
  • Faction: Sons of Horus 65th company

I'm pretty excited to see this come to fruition, my favourite remaining legion chapter getting a bit of attention always does my heart good.  I mean, I don't care if it is primaris or legacy marines, or even 'both' with the former showing up and what not.  I wanna see where this goes and what the story is. 

Alright, in the pure out marine on screen aesthetics department, I fall into the camp that says that Primaris do look 'better' than vader-face mk. VII for mass media viewing.  But there's so many variants for older armour, including the oh-so-nice mk. IV, or Beaky, Studded, Cyclopian, or a thousand and one various intra-mark artificer pattern (Anvilus, Saturnine, etc etc) that it can make character differentiation easier.  Lets face it (har-har) unless you're going helmetless or hard squad mixing in Blood Angels so you get a rainbow group going on, MK X armour is bound to look a lot more samey than then older marks. 

That said, it's gonna be a hard competition between this and Astartes in particular... man, Astartes has great visual and sound design going on, like honoured brother Apothecary Vaddon rightly mentioned. 

gallery_107230_14721_11872.png

m0nolith

m0nolith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,354 posts
  • Faction: IXth Legion: The Blood Angels

The only fear I have is that its not going to have any tension because everyone always survives to come back the next episode.

I want to get attached to the characters, and then have my heart ripped out by having some of them die a la Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, ect ect.

• Marshal Rohr, Brother Lunkhead, Juggernut and 1 other like this

gallery_48988_10980_21879.png    gallery_86352_12089_20671.jpg

Instagram gallery_86352_14298_238.jpgm0nolithpainting

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

++ SECTURATOR BIPENNIFER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,822 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

guess i am super weird for thinking the Mk VII helm is the best variant overall, and the others are best as a "break" from the norm, or special cases like characters etc.  such as the old school medieval knight style helms Black Templars and some HH Imperial fists have.  those work imo because they are in addition to the standard.  

• Silverson likes this

kombatwombat

kombatwombat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 534 posts
IMO the Black Templars Knight-style one is the best and palatable for a mass market (moreso than the GK near-equivalent that has the pointy-uppy snout), but I do prefer the MkVIII/MkVII Vader mask one to any of the others.

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,137 posts

Excited for this, but I hope the overall quality is better than the trailer indicates in some areas.

If it does well though, then no doubt GW will go big time.

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,344 posts
This looks very cool, and being Primaris free can only be a good thing :D

twopounder

twopounder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,480 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels
I'll wait to see it. Warhammer movies have not turned out well and I'm not optimistic.

4bVlhOy.jpg

Massive 3D Printing Project - Working on the Whirlwind Scorpius

Ravenwing WIP - (57 Bikes and counting)

Full Battle Company - Lion's Blade including 14 Razorbacks

Shapeways - Like the models I make? Now you can get them too!

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,807 posts
  • Faction: Ultramarines

Why is it a good thing? It means it will be set somewhere away from the main current events of 40k and will be irrelevant.

-~Ishagu~-

Azaiel

Azaiel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 473 posts
  • Faction: Deathwatch, Orks

I want to see the guy doing Astartes get his monies, the sound work and animation for that is astounding

This!

gallery_48988_15738_17267.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_13427.png

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,014 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos

Not sure that just not having Primaris involved is automatically a good thing - it will all depend on the story being told. Handled well, the Primaris could be just fine, there would be tweaking and some likely retconning going on, but it could be done well with the right story.

Anything that shows us more of the breadth of the game universe would be better - help people understand that the action across the galaxy doesn’t center exclusively upon the chosen battleground that GW’s main meta-story has focused on (nor do their personal games need to). There are thousands of meaningful stories going on in the galaxy at any time, some that may connect to the meta-story and some that don’t. All could be important, and things that don’t seem connected might, in fact, be - let’s have some butterfly effects going on to show a wider universe.

A myopic, mono-focus story view is a waste and generates narrow-minded narrative and following when you are working with a galaxy at war, and if GW thinks that pushing that the only meaningful or relevant stories that can be told center around their main meta-story, then they have missed the point of their “there is only war” concept.
  • Sandlemad, Ammonius and Panzer like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Elzender

Elzender

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,213 posts

This looks very cool, and being Primaris free can only be a good thing biggrin.png

Why is it a good thing? It means it will be set somewhere away from the main current events of 40k and will be irrelevant.

Ishagu, it is fair to argue whether Primaris being there or not is a good or a bad thing.  I must say I am not really thrilled about them, and I really prefer classic marines so I am glad that the series will have them as the protagonists. However, I would not mind Primaris appearing on it. If Primaris were the protagonists, I might have been a bit less interested, but I would probably give it a try anyways.

However, I must refute your argument of the classic marines being irrelevant. Precisely, one of the best aspects of the Warhammer 40K universe is how vast it is, and the fact that it can fit thousands of different stories. If we only focussed on those events that have a huge effect on the setting, half of BL novels would probably not even exist, as the actions narrated there are mostly irrelevant to the grand scheme of things of the Imperium. Exploring past actions of some factions might also help explain current situations, or just showcase the behaviour of the members of a faction. Moreover, the current timeline still has classic marines in it, so I would argue that it could still be a series on the present of 40K.

My blog (in Spanish): http://suenosdeuncon...logspot.com.es/

ETL_2016_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei01.jpggallery_48988_10069_73849.png

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 17,848 posts

Hopefully they will include a plot about the Second War for Armageddon. Has there ever been a Blood Angels story as cool as Dante leading the whole chapter into the heart of the Orks?

• Silverson likes this

Lay

Lay

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,088 posts
  • Faction: A̶l̶p̶h̶a̶ ̶L̶e̶g̶i̶o̶n̶

This must've been in the making for some time or they're re-using assets if they're using the old Vaderfaces. Either way, it's a plus for me.

Robbienw

Robbienw

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,344 posts

Cause I’m not interested in Primaris and wouldn’t feel compelled to watch it if they were the focus.

It doesn’t need to be set in ‘the main current events’ of 40k to be relevant.

But the lack of Primaris doesn’t meant it isn’t set in the main current events either. There are still large amounts of classic marines around, classic marine only task forces are still probably common.

Edited by Robbienw, 18 December 2018 - 04:42 PM.

Brother Casman

Brother Casman

++ ACCUDO FULMINEUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 1,941 posts
  • Faction: Blood Ravens
Do we have any more news about this? I seem recall a mention about the team doing a live stream somewhere - did we get a transcript or anything like that?
  • Canadian_F_H likes this
Active Projects: The Great Repaintening! - follow along on my journey to repaint a Blood Ravens army. | Adeptus Titanicis: Legio Metalica - a slow-grow plog of tiny titans and tinier knights.
Finished Projects: Brother Casman's Waaagh! - All of my Orks... for now. | Brother Casman's Terrain Extravaganza! - Getting the "Third Army" on the battlefield

In the operations of war, [...] the expenditure at home and at the front, including entertainment of guests, small items such as glue and paint, and sums spent on chariots and armor, will reach the total of a thousand ounces of silver per day. Such is the cost of raising an army ...

Azaiel

Azaiel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 473 posts
  • Faction: Deathwatch, Orks

This looks very cool, and being Primaris free can only be a good thing biggrin.png

Irrelevant? Thats a pretty bold statement.

So anything portrayed that doesnt involve the main current event, which is Vigilus, is irrelevant?  The beauty of 40k is that it encompasses the whole galaxy (and more). Some of the best Black library books written are then in "irrelevant" parts of the galaxy, involving characters who have nothing to do with the main events.

• Viridia, Azekai, Bryan Blaire and 2 others like this

gallery_48988_15738_17267.pngsml_gallery_48988_15094_13427.png

Canadian_F_H

Canadian_F_H

++ SECTURATOR BIPENNIFER ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,822 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Do we have any more news about this? I seem recall a mention about the team doing a live stream somewhere - did we get a transcript or anything like that?

Not a transcript, but I posted this in the helsreach thread. It's paraphrasing stuff said in the live stream, but it is tangentially related at best. Therefore, behind hidden tags below...

Hidden Content

• Felix Antipodes, Sandlemad, Brother Casman and 5 others like this

Bryan Blaire

Bryan Blaire

++ EXPLORATOR BIOLOGIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 8,014 posts
  • Faction: Imperium, Chaos, Xenos
Guys, don’t feed the troll, it’s super-clear he has an unsightly bias. He’s much better Ignored, there’s even a board function for it. There’s no point engaging, he won’t listen or accept anyone else’s views as valid, you aren’t going to convince him.
  • Son of Carnelian, Robbienw and Kallas like this
My DA Successor Chapter DIY - Stoneburners: Index Astartes Stoneburners; Images: Stoneburners WiP - DA Forum
Completed Squads: Stoneburners - Hall of Honor Forum
Drakeslayers, Bellicose Monster Hunters of the Fang: Drakeslayers - Space Wolves Forum
Other Material Here (Angels on both sides of the Long War): PCA WiP Forum
gallery_59244_7045_11084.jpggallery_59244_7045_3768.jpggallery_59244_7045_10256.jpg

Cryptix

Cryptix

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,263 posts
  • Faction: Dusk Raiders, Lords of Stone
I assume by irrelevant Ishagu means it won't affect the current narrative unless Vigilus 2 retcons some things.

As for Primaris or not, I would actually like to see a mixed squad of Primaris and Astartes that have to work together to survive a meat grinder situation. The Primaris learn to respect the Astartes for their veterans, while the Atartes teach the Primaris the ways of their chapter, albeit reluctantly at first. Even better would be if it's Space Wolves, Dark Angels, or Flesh Tearers.
  • Bryan Blaire likes this

Well would you look at the time, it's zombie o'clock!
sml_gallery_55866_13614_5370.jpgL_T_3_2017_Badge_02_Chaplain.jpggallery_4664_12529_16642.jpggallery_60566_6038_377.gifCall_of_Chaos_10_Banner_02_Failed.jpg

Wispy

Wispy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,349 posts

More shredder than the iron armor helmet? You know there’s like 8 non Primaris armor types to include chapter specific knight style helms, right? You need to go back to the art.

https://goo.gl/images/KJDs4t

Nothing about this is unpalatable to the people who would like Primaris.

Well they're not using those helmets either. They're using vacuum masks.

In any case, vacuum mask was the 'default' of the classic Marine as Primaris is. 'Default' for contemporary Marines.

Edited by Wispy, 18 December 2018 - 07:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users