Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Animated 40k series coming 2019

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

MegaVolt87

MegaVolt87

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,868 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors

Fairly certain Boylan's already mentioned that it'll be 3d...wouldn't make much sense for someone who's done all his work in the 3d animation space to go to anime-style work...

My bad, I didn't read the whole thread. Maybe for a future seperate 30k/40k series then. They should work with that guy who did that 30k Calth short, want to see more of that type of animation/ series style. That is exactly how I imagine Space Marines to operate, conduct themselves in combat as per the lore to a T. 

gallery_154982_15362_23624.jpg

My Iron Warriors Project   Guns for the guns god!, Bullets for the Brass throne!

Apothecary Vaddon

Apothecary Vaddon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,329 posts
  • Faction: n/a, don't do TT

IMO the guy who does Astartes is head and shoulders above everyone who's done any kind of 40k/30k animation and he should be leading all their animation efforts.

Edited by Apothecary Vaddon, 09 May 2019 - 01:36 AM.

• StraightSilver, Kelborn, Bev'an and 1 other like this

Kelborn

Kelborn

++ LECTOR HOSPITIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,295 posts
  • Faction: Do bookmarks count?

IMO the guy who does Astartes is head and shoulders above everyone who's done any kind of 40k/30k animation and he should be leading all their animation efforts.

Though I love Helsreach and how it was done, I completely agree with Vaddon.
Animationwise the Astartes is the currently epitome with Death of Hope and Helsreach only slightly behind, imho.

Lost Legion, the Predators                                                     Liber Astartes Swap Challenge 2019   

tn_gallery_87379_12273_68539.jpg gallery_26154_15777_13780.png 

-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

This is my mod voice. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My mod voice is a means to an end.

Let us avoid it, alright?

m0nolith

m0nolith

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,354 posts
  • Faction: IXth Legion: The Blood Angels

40k is no longer just a tabletop game, its a sci-fi intellectual property that could generate massive amounts of revenue through other forms of media if handled correctly, greatly outperforming the tabletop segment of the company in time (but were still a while away from that). Seeing this only a tabletop game is far too narrow of a perspective.

This show may be the biggest and best way to introduce others to the 40k IP, and like it or not, the venerable mk7 power armoured bolter wielding marine is still the main thing that outside people think of when they hear 40k, and this is mainly dude to the fact that GW has done a great job of cultivating that image though years of video games, books, comics, ect ect. The familiarity with that image to non 40k players is something very valuable to GW.

This is also the main reason why I don't think that regular marines are ever going to be phased out and fully replaced by primaris. This goes beyond the basic game now. Primaris were introduced under the perspective that many SM players, who already bought all their SM and have no intention to buy more, will buy a new SM army because of the aesthetic change, and for the most part it worked! But issues with truescales aestetics and not wanting to buy any more marines aren't something that exists in video games for example, they're issues within the tabletop game itself, so there really isn't an incentive to introduce primaris right here an now. 

This also is the case for most third party game developers as well. For example, the new BFG Armada 2 has a ton of new lore in it; Trazyn helping Cawl, Gulliman coming back, Cadia dying, Ynnari and Yvraine, so GW clearly has no problem introducing new lore into their latest media properties, and yet not a single mention of primaris. Really the only game that I can think of that had primaris in it was in DoW 3, and there it was just a cosmetic skin for a Chaplain. I feel this is GW being careful with them for now, and in time they'll be slowly introduced. 

I think this show has some incredible potential if handled well, and given the time to set up the universe, Baal, the Blood Angels, the characters, and what the situation is, I can see it being a fantastic way to introduce primaris in time to a wider audience. Sweet Sanguinius, to actually see the Devastation of Baal would be incredible!

TLDR; I think the reason why they're using regular marines and not primaris is really simple, familiarity to those people who know of the IP but don't play 40k.

Edited by m0nolith, 09 May 2019 - 11:51 PM.

• Doctor Perils likes this

gallery_48988_10980_21879.png    gallery_86352_12089_20671.jpg

Instagram gallery_86352_14298_238.jpgm0nolithpainting

The God Empress Of Mankind

The God Empress Of Mankind

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 101 posts

As long as it is not marines versus Tyranids that will be seen as just an Alien or Starship troopers rip off.  It MUST have chaos as the antagonist there is nothing remotely like chaos in another Scifi IP I am aware of.

And it needs to have guard in it as well to show the sheer power of Astartes over baseline humans.

Edited by The God Empress Of Mankind, 14 May 2019 - 10:05 AM.

I AM THE GOD EMPRESS OF MANKIND & I AM YOUR SHIELD AND PROTECTOR.

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Well Starship troopers is the Guardsmen vs Tyranids ripoff to be fair. ;)

• Parweke likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

FlamingDeth

FlamingDeth

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,441 posts
  • Faction: The Raven Order, Deathskulls
That's quite a trick considering Starship Troopers predates 40k in general by decades. Ripping it off in advance?
  • Arkangilos likes this
Formerly known as CardinalVirtue

RandyB

RandyB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 360 posts

That's quite a trick considering Starship Troopers predates 40k in general by decades. Ripping it off in advance?

The movie looks like guard vs. 'nids.

The book is... squad-level tac nukes, powered armor that makes Custodes look underdressed, and the Bugs still shred them in close combat.
  • Quixus and Panzer like this

Put the toys on the table and throw the dice. Everything else is just noise.

...Unless you're just in this for the modeling. In which case, show your work. Yours likely looks better than mine, anyway.

twopounder

twopounder

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,480 posts
  • Faction: Dark Angels

The book is... squad-level tac nukes, powered armor that makes Custodes look underdressed, and the Bugs still shred them in close combat.

Actually, the bugs have lasers in the book and use workers as meat shields. The close combat thing is all from the movie.

4bVlhOy.jpg

Massive 3D Printing Project - Working on the Whirlwind Scorpius

Ravenwing WIP - (57 Bikes and counting)

Full Battle Company - Lion's Blade including 14 Razorbacks

Shapeways - Like the models I make? Now you can get them too!

RandyB

RandyB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 360 posts

Actually, the bugs have lasers in the book and use workers as meat shields. The close combat thing is all from the movie.

Been a while since I read the book. Thanks for clarifying!

Put the toys on the table and throw the dice. Everything else is just noise.

...Unless you're just in this for the modeling. In which case, show your work. Yours likely looks better than mine, anyway.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users