What tokens does the game involve today?

apologist

I’m working on a Blood angels army. I want to spend some time and energy making it as ‘complete’ as possible, so I’ve started building some in-game tokens to mark battleshock tests, stratagem points remaining and so forth.

However, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m no expert on the modern game, so I wanted to ask the noosphere, What tokens, markers, and ‘ongoing effects’ am I going to need?

Here’s a starter; I hope it’s clear what I’m after:

• Casualty markers for Battleshock tests.

• Wrecked vehicle markers.

• Strategem point tracker.

• Turn marker.

• Wound markers.

• Psychic power markers (think AoS endless spells)

... that’s as far as I’ve got; anything else I need?

To be fair you could mark basically any action in the game. Even regular movement since it would mean for heavy weapons to hit worse. The question is how deep do you want to go and when is it too much? I'd concentrate on things that are actually hard to keep track of instead of just every action, like your mentioned CP, turn, wounds, psychic powers.

Coo, thanks for all the replies; lot of food for thought there. My main aim is to add to the visual appeal of the game; and secondly to help me remember things. Any thoughts on the following?

Casualty markers – these will be dead marines added next to the unit, to remind me to take a Battleshock test. I've worked up a couple of these already:
e.jpg

Vehicle damage markers – As Closet Skeleton pointed out, I don't need wrecks (though I think I'll have some because they'll look good), but some quick visual shorthand to show players what stage of degradation the vehicle is at would be useful. Perhaps smoke markers?

Stratagem point tracker – This is an important one. I don't want these things to distract too much, so it can't be too elaborate. I thought perhaps a framework that could hold a D12 or D20, attended by a Chapter serf or something...

Turn marker – This doesn't necessarily need to be Blood Angels themed, but it might be fun to have a standard base with a moveable BA-themed marker. Perhaps a grail?

Wound markers – I don't want to clutter the board up with ugly tokens and markers, but I'm at a bit of a loss on how to record this. Perhaps removable skulls on the base?

While playing Custodes where every model has multiple wounds, I made these up with skull beads. I use them for objectives, wound counters, and sometimes CP or VP counters. They work pretty well for just a base, a screw, and the cheap beads.

r0c86QV.jpg

missing Command Point markers off your list.

Re - wound markers, as you have to remove wounded people first then you could go down the route of cards for each unit.... you can also do that for the vehicles  put the full stat line for each level and when you go down a level move a marker that hides the other levels.

I use the GW battle journal to keep track of turn, victory points and command points. Works pretty well, you might try something like that. Dials work pretty well for wounds, and you don't mistake them for dice.

I used to use a spread sheet of sorts back in the day. So I suppose that journal is a nice looking GW produced version of what I was doing in essence. I've never checked it out. Maybe I should.

Also @apologist. I really like the idea of using casualty models as markers for break tests. Ideally I'd like to come up with other model markers like that for other things too. It could really help the feel of the game as opposed to something like punchboard pieces or poker tokens which while simple and hard to miss on the table, don't add to emersion as well as a model. Plus it's an opportunity to build something different from the norm!

There are a number of existing dial-based products to help with tracking the more general things like CP, VP, turn and wounds remaining so you don't risk knocking them like dice; from big

BC_40k_1-530x530.jpg

To the simple:

warhammer-battle-tracker-bloody-archange

Orange_1_1024x1024.png?v=1497454312

Battleshock markers and objectives definitely have scope for customisation though! I wonder if the battleshock markers would benefit from a die slot (or dial underneath) so you can record number of casualties on a single marker? i.e. something like this:

Would also work for wounds if you really want to avoid wound dials next models.

s-l1600.png

Archived