Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Necromunda models inbound

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

Ficinus

Ficinus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 621 posts
I always felt like the Arbites were more of a sort of GM thing to take down tough gangs than a proper gang.
  • Shovellovin likes this

MagicHat

MagicHat

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 605 posts

A "judge" implies the potential (however slim) for either Enforcers or Adeptus Arbites at some point. [fingers crossed] I wonder what that pistol (?) is that he's holding and if I can incorporate it into my Adeptus Arbites kill team rules.

As a practising barrister I demand to have the wig wearing model.

And now you've put a Monty Python skit in my head (and it's not pretty).

Any idea what the floater is? The mechanical augmentations implies some sort of laborer or scientist/engineer type, perhaps some servitor type that searches through nastiness to recover something of value (body parts, salvage, etc.)? Whatever it is, the appearance alone is bizarre and grimdark.

The floater is Ortruum 8-8, Psykanarium Psi-hound bounty hunter, one of the sanctioned psykers that comes from Necromunda.

The "judge" is Baertrum Arturos III, an a bounty hunter from the Merchant Guilds own private order. Usually working at mid-hive level, a job brought him to the underhive and he kinda liked how he was obviously much better then everyone else... He does indeed carry an artisan needle pistol with auto-loader.

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

++ FERRARII CONQUISITOR ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,376 posts

I always felt like the Arbites were more of a sort of GM thing to take down tough gangs than a proper gang.

In my experience they were a gatekeeper early on in a campaign but quickly got outpaced by gangs towards the end since they had strict numbers limits.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,306 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

A "judge" implies the potential (however slim) for either Enforcers or Adeptus Arbites at some point. [fingers crossed] I wonder what that pistol (?) is that he's holding and if I can incorporate it into my Adeptus Arbites kill team rules.

As a practising barrister I demand to have the wig wearing model.

And now you've put a Monty Python skit in my head (and it's not pretty).

Any idea what the floater is? The mechanical augmentations implies some sort of laborer or scientist/engineer type, perhaps some servitor type that searches through nastiness to recover something of value (body parts, salvage, etc.)? Whatever it is, the appearance alone is bizarre and grimdark.

The floater is Ortruum 8-8, Psykanarium Psi-hound bounty hunter, one of the sanctioned psykers that comes from Necromunda.

The "judge" is Baertrum Arturos III, an a bounty hunter from the Merchant Guilds own private order. Usually working at mid-hive level, a job brought him to the underhive and he kinda liked how he was obviously much better then everyone else... He does indeed carry an artisan needle pistol with auto-loader.

And with that you deflated my hopes. sad.png

So we're basically seeing two psykers - one sanctioned and one possibly rogue. Truth be told, I'd rather be the rogue psyker than a floating potato.

The "judge" bounty hunter is a cool concept. It's nice to see a little variety from the grim and gritty types we're used to seeing (just waiting for proper Spyrers now).

It will be interesting to see each of these converted for use in other games (WH40K and Kill Team).

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Brother-serpent Tylydox

Brother-serpent Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 931 posts

It's funny how my witty comment about the naysayers got lost while the threads were merged.  It must've been the part where I was expecting apologies from them.

Sign my petition about Collaboration between Games Workshop and Hasbro to create My Little Pony in WH40K Universe

: https://www.ipetitio...p-and-hasbro-to

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,376 posts

It's funny how my witty comment about the naysayers got lost while the threads were merged.  It must've been the part where I was expecting apologies from them.

Seems to me the disagreement was just that the sketch was a 3d rendering, which i dont think it is. Either way, gloating is meh.

Edited by FearPeteySodes, 31 January 2019 - 06:42 PM.

• Joe and Nemesor Tyriks like this

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,306 posts

Since you brought it up, it must be pointed out that all that the naysayers were naysaying was that the image you posted was of the model/3D render. The counterclaim, which it appears was correct, was that the image was a sketch based on the miniature. If you read the comments, there is at least one reply that concurred with the point that a model was indeed coming. No one ever refuted an upcoming model.

Your post was hidden because we don't need to see any time/bandwidth wasted by what people were saying, and the tone of your post was unnecessary.

So that's all the discussion we need to see about that little episode.

• Noserenda, fire golem, Arkhanist and 5 others like this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Burni

Burni

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,241 posts
The floaty dude is very AdMech. Might have to get that one along with the Ambots. The Wig dude is how I imagined an RT, much more so than the two plastic ones we’ve recently got.

There was a report that the psyker is going to be plastic according to Andy H. But that looks resin to me (however I’m terrible at recognising the difference in these cabinet photos...)

Noserenda

Noserenda

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,218 posts
  • Faction: Scythes of the Emperor

Worth mentioning youll Never see actual Arbites in necromunda, they deal with Imperial crime waaaay over those roof's. That said id be deeply surprised if we didnt see necromunda enforcers asap by the way they discuss them on the stream.

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,376 posts

Worth mentioning youll Never see actual Arbites in necromunda, they deal with Imperial crime waaaay over those roof's. That said id be deeply surprised if we didnt see necromunda enforcers asap by the way they discuss them on the stream.

Thats like saying we'll never get spyrers then. Theres precedent for them, just because the board game version deals more in the underhive doesnt preclude their additions IMO.

torcathmk2

torcathmk2

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 82 posts

Thats like saying we'll never get spyrers then. Theres precedent for them, just because the board game version deals more in the underhive doesnt preclude their additions IMO.

Andy Hoare said this evening we wouldn’t get Arbites for Necromunda, only Enforcers and they would be a way off yet.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,306 posts

I tend to agree with Noserenda in this regard. Necromunda is about local gang crime, something that falls within the jurisdiction of the Enforcers. The Adeptus Arbites, meanwhile, would be more appropriate in Kill Team/WH40K. They would/could be very similar, and would most likely use the same models. From a lore/theme perspective, though, while there is some degree of overlap and potential for either/or, it is much more likely that the local/Imperial division will drive what the (same) models represent in any game.

My vision of Rogue Traders is driven by 1st edition imagery, not limited to that of FFG's RPG. That's not to say that the visual theme of the noble explorers doesn't work, but the original body of work allowed for a much more diverse range of concepts. I put more "rogue" into my rogue trader concept. All that said, the "judge" would pose as a very stylish rogue trader mini. Actually, all three could represent the motley members of a rogue trader's crew (if only we had more flexible rules for them in KT/WH40K).

• Noserenda and Petitioner's City like this

PeteySödes

PeteySödes

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,376 posts

Andy Hoare said this evening we wouldn’t get Arbites for Necromunda, only Enforcers and they would be a way off yet.

Hah well balls and retract my hopeful nay(yay?)saying. :)

Brother-serpent Tylydox

Brother-serpent Tylydox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 931 posts

Games Workshop seems to disagree with you:

https://www.warhamme...omepage-post-3/

Sign my petition about Collaboration between Games Workshop and Hasbro to create My Little Pony in WH40K Universe

: https://www.ipetitio...p-and-hasbro-to

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,751 posts
Yeah Andy has always been keen to emphasise Arbites deal with interstellar-related and supra-global rather than local justice - matters of state such as tithe delivery, and the like, or ensuring the planetary governor and other planetary leaders follow imperial law.

This makes sense when you consider really famous arbiter characters like Fischig, who was of course appointed with little fazing to the frightening entourage of an inquisitor, and was dealing with a interstellar threat to Hubris. We also see this 'embodiment of the emperor's will' image in Johm French's Covenant books - the Arbites are terrifying and above most normal citizens' understanding of the legal apparatus they will encounter in life, and to encounter especially a judge is to probably have gone to a very high stationed but very dark place.

Enforcers, which as I understand Andy are really the state/hive/planetary police or perhaps a military police, are security employed at a state level - presumably under the planetary governor or leadership. According to the Weekender last year, they are called in the new lore Palatine Enforcers, reflecting their governmental role.

In the hives, we then have the law established by the houses and the guilders, who employ their own enforcers and other agents, and then in the underhive the settlements who have their own local law, which is secondary to guilder law. The guilders and settlements and perhaps the houses are more relevant to our gangs - but depending on where we are in the hive, or what our campaigns are, it will be intriggujng to see how Andy introduces or reframes Enforcers in this way, to be purely Palatine or allowing guilder or underhive cop levels of sophistication.

Edit: so Arbites sometimes arent presented this way. It's clear there are different ideas of the Arbites in the community, and I can imagine equally within the company. Depending on who is editing a text at a given time in GW's history, different ideas of Arbites might have been presented, or Arbite applied to what we now think of as Enforcer. Andy, who I do trust with making very interesting fluff, is very strong on an Arbite being X.

For me, when he stated this last year, it was a surprise. I actually didn't know Arbites were this specific definition and it's easy to imagine others equally make the same conflation of different ideas. Tbh I just thought of Arbites as judges from Judge Dredd, but it's clear that ISN'T the case (anymore).

I understand now, there has been a change. It's not what Necromunda in the late 90s suggested with its Arbites rules, but arguably by the second edition there was a difference. They were no longer "Arbites" but "enforcers". But I didn't think this nomenclature through - they were still "Arbites" in my head which I thought were locally involved police a la Judge Dredd.

So I think in the community the two continue to be confused and even on the Warhammer TV it's clear other GW employees are confused on fluff - there is a lot of course, too much for one person to know - and can think Arbites are those local enforcers too. Now both can be right of course, this is fiction, and thus why Arbites pop up in much less dignified, much more local, much more Dredd or county cop-esque fashion?

Edited by Petitioner's City, 31 January 2019 - 10:16 PM.

• Leif Bearclaw likes this
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

fire golem

fire golem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,887 posts
  • Faction: XVth Legion, Loyal Siege force

It says he’s an Arbites enforcer, which is what people are saying? It’ll be enforcers we get in Necromunda, not the Arbites themselves.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,306 posts
All of this is academic since the three models in question are neither Enforcers nor Arbitrators - they're psykers and bounty hunters.
  • fire golem likes this

Petitioner's City

Petitioner's City

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,751 posts

All of this is academic since the three models in question are neither Enforcers nor Arbitrators - they're psykers and bounty hunters.

It was a part of the twitch stream, which itself is news, even if it's a restatement.
Cinema itself is a trick of time — still pictures passed through a focused beam of light at 24 frames per second. We are reminded of that in La Jetée...

Gorgoff

Gorgoff

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,202 posts
  • Faction: IVth Legion
"A wig in the hands of the right man is a horrible weapon"
:D
  • mithrilforge and Honda like this
Bring back Psycho Dad!
gallery_48988_10980_12646.png

mithrilforge

mithrilforge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,154 posts
  • Faction: 40k - xenos & ad-mech

Thank you for the story link it was a fun read... but it was about Arbite's and a Genestealer infestation... in a 40K setting not necromunda (unfortunately blush.png)

How i wish for Arbites Like everyone else does most likely wub.gif although some type  of Enforcer will be good enough i think with what GW and FW are making !

the new stuff looks Great ...i really think Mozart is funny but cool cool.png  "See this music sheet?,read it scum!"

Cheers, Mithril 

gallery_70393_10089_1851.png gallery_48988_6285_17537.pnggallery_6494_6331_8260.pnggallery_48988_15465_40221.png  gallery_48988_15465_18945.png

MajorNese-  In the grim darkness of the near future, there is only complaints. biggrin.png

Closet Skeleton

Closet Skeleton

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,587 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

Arbites are weird bit of 40k lore in that they were thrown into the first ed lore probably to allow people to use their old citadel Judge Dread minis in first ed 40k but don't really make sense with the feudal decentralized Imperium that became the norm in latter fluff.

The Inquisition kind of makes the Adeptus Arbites irrelevant as the CIA/FBI of the Imperium but they can't be local planetary police either because they're Adeptus Arbites which places them among the interstellar arms of the Imperium. The Imperium is the trappings* of every autocratic regime in fiction and history thrown into a soup but isn't actually all forms of autocracy at once because that would make no sense. So we have senseless stuff like the state police of what cannot logistically be a police state.

On the other hand the idea of a scary dressing bombastic police force that can't actually have a totalitarian reach actually fits quite well with the concept of the Imperium as a decadent ineffectual government that can't live up to its own lies about itself. The Arbites can be both horrifying when they actually show up while mostly being a flashy but token institution that's more about representing the propaganda of state power.

*Much like 40k itself is really just a silly wargame about over the top badasses with a few trappings of satire diffused from the late 80s

Edited by Closet Skeleton, 01 February 2019 - 08:18 AM.

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,172 posts

=][= Back on-topic, please. Deeper discussion about the Arbites and their role can be had in the appropriate area. =][=

• Petitioner's City likes this

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

You carry the Emperor's will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

Peredyne

Peredyne

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,978 posts
  • Faction: Astral Claws

Personally, I'd rather see all of the critters and extras from the book get produced rather than see "new" versions of Kal Jerico, Klovis the Redeemer, etc. Especially the Van Saar Archna-rig and the Cyber spider.

"My claim is based on rational thought and the fact that I've got more than enough charges in my Tesla Cannon to leave nothing but your twitching, smoldering digits!" - Nelson, Full Frontal Nerdity

gallery_219_3300_17308.gifgallery_219_3300_24332.jpg

Supe robot gangster #1

Supe robot gangster #1

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 667 posts
  • Faction: All the legions!

Personally, I'd rather see all of the critters and extras from the book get produced rather than see "new" versions of Kal Jerico, Klovis the Redeemer, etc. Especially the Van Saar Archna-rig and the Cyber spider.

I agree, I’d love a model for the likes of Yar Umbra, although I may be biased as I already have the classic Kal and Scabs models. Unfortunately I think it will be a while before they catch up, FW have a very unfortunate habit of releasing models with no rules before models that do, although they do seem to be attempting to catch up for necro, the only two models coming out before their rules being Gor and Kria, so hopefully they go against the grain with necro while they still have relatively few models (compared to other game systems they do) with unreleased figures.

Red_Shift

Red_Shift

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,282 posts
I'm all in for the classic characters, Kal Jericho in particular but redemptionists, spyrers and ratskins would be a real treat. I'm slightly worried that the decision not to do outlanders means that we will see a move away from plastic gang sets to forgeworld resin only. Will have to wait and see what is revealed today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users