Mono-Khorne Daemons?

GenerationTerrorist

Hi guys, I am thinking of starting a Daemons army and, with Wrath & Rapture being released, feel that now could be a good time.

I'd be a bit OCD and only run a mono-Khorne army.

Would something like the following be a good starting point?

DP with Wings & Talons

Blood Throne

Karanak

3*10 Bloodletters

8*Flesh Hounds

8*Bloodcrushers

Going to have to agree with DestinyFish... bloodcrushers are eye candy but suck on the table.  CA didnt change that at all.  

ATM khorne daemons have some very powerful but limited options.

Top Tier Good:

Bloodletters.  

Daemon Prince with Skullreaver.

Solid utility but not table breaking:

Karanak

Khorne Doggies

Bloodmaster

Skulltaker

Daemon Princes WITHOUT Skullreaver

Mediocre but capable of good things:

Skarbrand

Bloodthirsters

Generally Bad:

Bloodcrushers

On the one hand I want to say that competitiveness doesn't matter and that you should use the models and army you want. However, some units are a bit lacking in effectiveness and 'crushers don't usually live up to expectations. The extra wound from CA2018 is nice but a points drop would be nice as well. I don't think other stats are going to change for them. Bloodletters are a classic glass hammer. They can hit and hit hard but if you don't make it to combat they just melt away. That's why big units are better, you can take casualties and still have a chance. Hounds are another unit that are 'OK', but nothing special. The new models are good but is that enough? Again, lots of them is the key.  

I'm not trying to disparage your choices but mono-Khorne works better at higher points levels, where you can get lots of 'letters. Bloodletters should be the backbone of your army as they work better in large numbers with character support (my own 2k Khorne force has over a hundred of them).

As a starting force your choices are not bad. Personally, at this points level, I'd drop the hounds and get more bloodletters. Once you increase your points you can go for more hounds.

Well Daemons are a melee horde army. Melee always being weaker than shooting is basically a given in 40k and that your units die like flies is also a given considering it's a horde army. Just expect to always take away half of your army before you can start taking out your opponents units ... on the good side tho is that once all your units are in melee the opponent has little room left to move to objectives and little units left to actually shoot yours due the falling back penalty. ^^

Well Daemons are a melee horde army. Melee always being weaker than shooting is basically a given in 40k and that your units die like flies is also a given considering it's a horde army. Just expect to always take away half of your army before you can start taking out your opponents units ... on the good side tho is that once all your units are in melee the opponent has little room left to move to objectives and little units left to actually shoot yours due the falling back penalty. ^^

I think the last part here is realy important, especially since the new CA missions do not use the sudden death rule (so loosing all your models is no reason to loose the game). Swarming the table with loads and loads of models your opponent can not get rid of fast enough is a valid tactic (ask every Valhallan Impearial Guard)!

On the one hand I want to say that competitiveness doesn't matter and that you should use the models and army you want. However, some units are a bit lacking in effectiveness and 'crushers don't usually live up to expectations. The extra wound from CA2018 is nice but a points drop would be nice as well. I don't think other stats are going to change for them. Bloodletters are a classic glass hammer. They can hit and hit hard but if you don't make it to combat they just melt away. That's why big units are better, you can take casualties and still have a chance. Hounds are another unit that are 'OK', but nothing special. The new models are good but is that enough? Again, lots of them is the key.  

I'm not trying to disparage your choices but mono-Khorne works better at higher points levels, where you can get lots of 'letters. Bloodletters should be the backbone of your army as they work better in large numbers with character support (my own 2k Khorne force has over a hundred of them).

As a starting force your choices are not bad. Personally, at this points level, I'd drop the hounds and get more bloodletters. Once you increase your points you can go for more hounds.

I consider Khorne daemons more of a OTK(One Turn Kill) army rather than a horde.  With a horde you use threat overload to win but with Khorne daemons you more or less setup a gigantic deepstrike bomb that wins the game.  That requires something credible on the table that can remove screens or force your opponent to stretch out and it also requires at least 60 bloodletters showing up on turn 2.   Sometimes you stagger them out and have half show up on turn 2 and the rest on 3.  

Slaanesh and Nurgle seem to be more of a horde style to me.  You just sort of have lots of stuff all over the place grabbing objectives and being annoying.  Khorne just shows up... and its over.

Going to have to agree with DestinyFish... bloodcrushers are eye candy but suck on the table. CA didnt change that at all.

ATM khorne daemons have some very powerful but limited options.

Top Tier Good:

Bloodletters.

Daemon Prince with Skullreaver.

Solid utility but not table breaking:

Karanak

Khorne Doggies

Bloodmaster

Skulltaker

Daemon Princes WITHOUT Skullreaver

Mediocre but capable of good things:

Skarbrand

Bloodthirsters

Generally Bad:

Bloodcrushers

I would have said Skarbrand has solid utility with his special abilities, especially with a 30 point drop in CA

The massive discounts to bloodthirsters also makes them much more interesting now too IMO. I've used since chapter approved and they've been absolute stars. Especially the insenate rage.

I mean no different than they were before CA, I just had more..

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I am thinking of starting a Daemons army and, with Wrath & Rapture being released, feel that now could be a good time.

I'd be a bit OCD and only run a mono-Khorne army.

Would something like the following be a good starting point?

DP with Wings & Talons

Blood Throne

Karanak

3*10 Bloodletters

8*Flesh Hounds

8*Bloodcrushers

DP with wings & talons is good. Consider giving him the Skullreaver axe, though - it's absolutely amazing.

Blood Throne is ok, but I'd prefer a Skull Cannon after its further points drop in CA18. This has the side effect of giving you the parts to convert one of your Bloodcrushers into a herald/Skullmaster.

I like Karanak and the Flesh Hounds. I'd consider making them into 2 squads of 5, though. It's not the Khornate multiple of 8, but it gives you more flexibility and another chance to Deny the Witch.

Bloodletters are our true workhorses, so try to get another 10 if you can. This means you can run one blob of 20 for Denizens of the Warp shenanigans and use the other two for your minimum Troops requirements.

As for Bloodcrushers, they're so obscenely expensive, but I actually really like them. They will hit like a train when (if) they get to combat. Chuck this squad into the Warp with a Banner of Blood and use them to utterly crush whatever they charge when they arrive.

Archived