=] 12 Months of Hobby Challenge 2019 [=

Grotsmasha

After a break from the hobby due to too much going on in my life I am back. This seems as good a way to reboot as any.

I, Brother Argent , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete whatever Grot rolls for me by month's end.

Add me to the the randomiser charts too Grot, just please re-roll any Horus Heresy or Drukarii/Harlequins stuff as I don't have any of those please.

Looking sweet Dosjetka, have to say you're making it real damn difficult not to pick that box up :P Really like the wooden effect on parts of the lasgun, think it helps give it a more 'individual' feel.

Nice work on the legswap of the techmarine marcusc, the greenstuff is really good! Looking forward to seeing him with some paint :D 

Thank you, Aeternus. The wood effect was done by copying GW's recipe for it on their Citadel Paint app. It works for a fairly basic wood effect but I hope I can improve it over time and with practice. :)

Looking forward to seeing your Ghostkeel in camo! :tu:

Really need to download that app at some point then :D I think just mixing in more shades of brown and incorporating some 'knots' in the wood on larger pieces could be somewhere to look, though for wooden designs I'll grant that Helterskelter's Steampunk Skitarii have always been a inspiration for those sorta things.

I'm getting along using one of the stealth drones as a tester for what I want to go for whole model wise. Really happy with how the white and weathering has come out, though now I've reached an impasse on the 'stealth' section. While I do like how the digicamo looks, a friend has pointed out how tau adaptive camo would feel like it should be more 'advanced' than just that. Additionally, the pic I took before adding camo (jet black) does look pretty darn good. As it stands I'd ask for votes, should I

1) go digicamo on all of the stealth side

2) go jet black on the stealth side (with grey highlights admittedly)

3) have an amount of digicamo, then following the same route parallel as the previous have another 'energy' line, then jet black after that? Like the digicamo was the buffering before going full stealth

Added a pic of the vague base style for reference :) 

Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

IMG-20190107-163840-01.jpgIMG-20190107-163835-01.jpgIMG-20190106-183358-01.jpgIMG-20190106-183353-01.jpgIMG-20190108-004357-01.jpg

Jet black with subtle grey highlights and chipping would look fantastic on the drone, in my opinion, though not sure how it would look on a larger construct.

On a slight tangent, any chance you'd be willing to share your recipe for the white, please? It's looks great. :tu:

I think the black works for the drone ( I do like the Digi-camo more though) but I'm with Dos, it may be a bit bland on a larger scale. Realistically, you could do it in the black, see how it looks, then add the Digi-camo over the black if it doesn't work. Edited by Grotsmasha

I, Dragonlover, hereby vow to paint something Inquisitorial before the end of the month.

Pics will follow once i'm not at work (and I decide what to actually paint)

EDIT: Aquilus Hettar, Radical Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor.

gallery_69371_14158_19334.jpg

Dragonlover

Edited by Dragonlover

I, Dragonlover, hereby vow to paint something Inquisitorial before the end of the month.

Pics will follow once i'm not at work (and I decide what to actually paint)

Dragonlover

Welcome aboard dude :thumbsup:

I've also added badge for those who wish to make a pledge for years end, a slow burn model to work on through out the year,

gallery_48988_15094_5524.png

Edited by Grotsmasha

Excellent, more Blackstone Fortress :tu:

I'm hoping the randomiser table gods will allow me to paint something else from BSF when they next choose what faction I must source February's model from. :D

I definitely need some motivation - I invariably get stuck on basecoats as I struggle to see the scheme in my mind coming to fruition from the garish horror stage. I started these guys last week trying to do a test scheme for my Death Guard, and am already struggling, so they'll do nicely I think.

Cheers for the idea Grotsmasha!

I, Arkhanist, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete 2 plague marines by month's end.

a6peFk7.jpg

Lo, the scourge of the hobby infection hath seized Us, and we shall not resist its call. We hear the whisper, and deep in the warp comes the same cadence as long ago. It says, "for the Warmaster."

I, Vykes , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January, pledge to complete one Contemptor Dreadnought of the 16th legion by month's end. Hail Warmaster, hail victory!

Hey, I said I'd join if Dragonlover did and I keep my word!

A slightly converted Contemptor Cortus Dreadnought thanks to the honoured Gorgoff's suggestion a while ago. Honestly, I like it enough that I might have to pick up another. Anyway, meanie-pants junk dread for Sons of Horus. Oh, and next month should be interesting (I'd be vowing a Sicaran but at the moment I'm trying to figure out what else I'll need to paint for my Blood Angels and it might all end up in the same batch. But this is about a far more nefarious group of folks).

gallery_107230_14721_11989.jpg

I, The Mad Greek , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete a Mortis Dreadnought with Twin Missile Launchers, by month's end.

I am going full Primaris with my Marines, so my Mortis is built on a Redemptor body, using an old Whirlwind missile launcher to fill in for the arms.  Not sure how its going to turn out, but I have been meaning to get to it for awhile now, so here we go.

Edited by MadGreek

I definitely need some motivation - I invariably get stuck on basecoats as I struggle to see the scheme in my mind coming to fruition from the garish horror stage. I started these guys last week trying to do a test scheme for my Death Guard, and am already struggling, so they'll do nicely I think.

Cheers for the idea Grotsmasha!

I, Arkhanist, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete 2 plague marines by month's end.

*SNIP*

That's a good start you have there :tu:

Lo, the scourge of the hobby infection hath seized Us, and we shall not resist its call.  We hear the whisper, and deep in the warp comes the same cadence as long ago.  It says, "for the Warmaster." 

I, Vykes , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January, pledge to complete one Contemptor Dreadnought of the 16th legion by month's end.  Hail Warmaster, hail victory!

Hey, I said I'd join if Dragonlover did and I keep my word!  

A slightly converted Contemptor Cortus Dreadnought thanks to the honoured Gorgoff's suggestion a while ago.  Honestly, I like it enough that I might have to pick up another.  Anyway, meanie-pants junk dread for Sons of Horus.  Oh, and next month should be interesting (I'd be vowing a Sicaran but at the moment I'm trying to figure out what else I'll need to paint for my Blood Angels and it might all end up in the same batch.  But this is about a far more nefarious group of folks).  

*SNIP*

That is one cool looking contemptor :tu:

I, The Mad Greek , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete a Mortis Dreadnought with Twin Missile Launchers, by month's end.

I am going full Primaris with my Marines, so my Mortis is built on a Redemptor body, using an old Whirlwind missile launcher to fill in for the arms.  Not sure how its going to turn out, but I have been meaning to get to it for awhile now, so here we go.

Those launchers look to be right-on scale wise :tu:

Having finally based 1000 points of my marines for a pairs tournament, my background project for this year is to texture-base the rest - the remainder of a battle company (plus weapon options and officers), half the first company and few other bits and pieces. Hopefully my first vow won't be all I manage this month.

I, Rogue, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete the bases for two squads of Sternguard by month's end.

sternguard

Having finally based 1000 points of my marines for a pairs tournament, my background project for this year is to texture-base the rest - the remainder of a battle company (plus weapon options and officers), half the first company and few other bits and pieces. Hopefully my first vow won't be all I manage this month.

I, Rogue, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete the bases for two squads of Sternguard by month's end.

Might as well throw my hat into this.

I, Gederas, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete 4 Ur-Ghuls by month's end.

* snip *

Probably will finish these lads today now that I think of it :laugh.:

Welcome to the Challenge Rogue and Gederas :tu:

,,,,and well done on those Ur-Ghuls bud, such a good result with a minimilistic approach :tu:

I, Gederas, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete 4 Ur-Ghuls by month's end.

* snip *

Welcome to the Challenge Rogue and Gederas :thumbsup:

,,,,and well done on those Ur-Ghuls bud, such a good result with a minimilistic approach :thumbsup:

What do you think of them now since they're totally done? :lol:

l8Ikzwm.jpg

The friend I painted them up for loved them, since it saved him like 40 bucks on the finecast ones :lol:

* snip *

Welcome to the Challenge Rogue and Gederas :thumbsup:

,,,,and well done on those Ur-Ghuls bud, such a good result with a minimilistic approach :thumbsup:

What do you think of them now since they're totally done? :laugh.:

l8Ikzwm.jpg

The friend I painted them up for loved them, since it saved him like 40 bucks on the finecast ones :laugh.:

I like them a lot :tu:

Can I still join in this project?

Yes you can, anyone one can jump into, or out of the Challenge at any point in any month :tu:

I think I'll keep everyone updated here too, I'm going to also be working on some Adeptus Titanicus throughout the year, specifically Legio Xestobiax,

med_gallery_48988_15143_1776199.png gallery_48988_15143_5331.jpg

I've got the first Reaver to the stage where it's ready for it's first round of paint :tu: