=] 12 Months of Hobby Challenge 2019 [=

Grotsmasha

I, toaae, embark for the final time on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge for 2019, and for the month of December pledge to complete a Wazbom Blastajet by month's end.

Wazbom

'ere we go!

It's done!

Blastajet Finish 1

Blastajet Finish 4

Thanks Grotsmasha for organizing and running this!

Woops, just realised I missed November... Better make up for it a bit this month (even though we are most of the way through).  I will complete my Knight this month, who has been staring at me from my desk since I vowed him.  Well he would be if he was more then just half a set of legs.  I will also complete my four models for the Liber Swap.  Stay tuned for that effort shortly.

Ok lads, below is the full campaign section for 2020, please feel free to offer any feedback/suggestions

gallery_48988_16024_8181.png

The 12 Months of Hobby presents:

The Reclaimation of the Inviolate Rage

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+++ ENCRYPTED MESSAGE INCOMING +++

+++ ENTER AUTHORISATION IDENTS +++

+++ ************ +++

+++ PROCESSING +++

+++ PROCESSING +++

+++ AUTHORISATION ACCEPTED MASTER OF THE ARSENAL +++

+++ DECRYPTION IN PROGRESS +++

+++ MESSAGE BEGINS +++

+++ BROTHER, I BID YOU WELL, AND BEAR GRIM TIDINGS. WE HAVE LOCATED THE FLAGSHIP OF THE HERALDS OF DEVASTATION. AS YOU KNOW, WE BELIEVED THE CHAPTER LOST, AS WE HAVE HAD NO CONTACT SINCE THE APPEARANCE OF THE CICATRIX MALEDICTUM. THE INVIOLATE RAGE IS TRANSMITTING A DISTRESS CALL FROM BEYOND THE EASTERN FRINGE, A SYSTEM NAMED VOLTRONUS. I HAVE COMMAND OF AN EXPLORITORY FORCE CONSISTING OF SEVERAL SQUADS FROM OUR UNFORGIVEN BROTHERHOOD, I AM REQUESTING AID IN WHATEVER FORM YOU CAN SPARE IT. WE WILL RETURN THE CHAPTER TO US.

FAREWELL BROTHER, FOR THE LION +++

+++ MESSAGE ENDS +++

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This year the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge will feature a Planetary Empires map based campaign, with the ultimate goal of capturing the Inviolate Rage, a grounded starship from my Heralds of Devastation Dark Angel Successor Chapter. The outcome of the campaign will inform the History of the chapter post Cicatrix Maledictum.

So, how will it work?

Participants will earn Command Points (CP) based on their performance within the 2020 Challenge. Command Points will be allocated with the Monthly Summary, and may be immediately spent, or may be saved to spend in a later month.

gallery_48988_15094_2023.png

The Completed Badge is worth 1CP

gallery_48988_15094_3504.png

The Seriously Badge, awarded for 5+ models completed in a month, is worth 2CP

gallery_48988_15094_6220.png

The Artificer Badge is worth 1CP

gallery_48988_15094_2677.png

The Speed Daemon is worth 1CP

gallery_48988_15094_1684.png

The Favourite is worth 3CP

gallery_48988_15094_6643.png

Each completed ETL Vow is worth 5CP

All badges will upgrade Black, Silver, Gold and Platinum, and each additional rank of badge includes an additional CP

So, that's how to earn the points, but how and what are they spent on?

Survey - You may survey a adjacent tile to determine any forces or fortifications that are present - 1CP

Moving - from one tile to another - 1CP

- into difficult terrain - 2CP

Building Fortifications - you may choose to add up to 10 Defense points to a tile - 1CP per Defense Point

Attacking Structures/Defenses - You may choose to destroy any constructed Fortifications prior to moving into a tile - 1CP per Fortification

Combined Attack - This combines the Attack Points of multiple armies against a single Defending tile - 1CP per player

The Campaign Map

gallery_48988_16024_737956.png

The campaign map is divided into three colours, Blue for Imperium, Red for Chaos, and Green for Xenos. These sections represent a Factions Territory. The coloured sections of the Map are acting as a Fog of War, and as players move onto tiles, the Map beneath will be revealed. Beneath the Black Tiles labelled A-E, dividing the Faction Territories are mountainous areas and are Difficult Terrain. The F1-6 Sections are not difficult terrain, but feature additional rules, but will need to be moved onto for those rules to be revealed.

Traversing the Map

You must pledge to one of the three Factions for the campaign, Imperium, Chaos, or Xenos, for the entire year. Pledging to a Faction determines your starting location and will help determine the winning Faction. The Faction chosen WILL NOT limit which models you can enter into the Challenge i.e. you may pledge for Xenos, but still complete both Imperial and Chaos models within the Challenge. Each participant will added to a Faction specific P.M. where tactics may be discussed.

Every player will start at their Factions Starting Location, there are other tiles to be discovered that will allow additional starting points. All models are grouped by datasheet, and new models to a datasheet may join an existing force on any tile, or start a new unit at a the Starting Location, or a Additional Starting Location.

Every model you paint within the Challenge is worth 1 Attack point, and 1 Defense point, the more models pledged and painted within the Challenge makes your army and Faction stronger. All armies within the same Faction are Allies and will not attack one another, and may occupy the same tile. If multiple armies are on the same tile, the army with the highest Attack Points is the Tile Commander. If an Army wishes to move into a tile occupied by an opposing Faction their Attack Points MUST exceed the Defense Points on the tile. If an Army captures a tile occupied by an enemy Faction, the enemy is driven backwards into one of the 3 rear-ward tiles, and any Fortifications are destroyed. If Allies wish to team up and perform a Combined Attack, they must be in adjacent tiles, and spend 1CP each, in addition to their points for moving into the tile. Multiple Armies within a Faction on the same tile automatically combine their Defense Points if attacked.

Each Army will start at position A6 of their Faction's Territory. The tile location is determined by counting the tiles in each row clockwise around the Map, starting from the left of your Factions Territory. When moving your army, any units on the same tile, completing the same action use the same CP. Units on the same tile completing different actions will use additional CPs.

Example 1: Your entire Army is on the same tile. You choose to move the entire army forward one tile, this costs 1CP.

Example 2: Your entire Army is on the same tile. You choose to split your forces in two and move one force forward one tile, and leave the other in place, this costs 1CP.

Example 3: Your entire Army is on the same tile. You choose to split your forces in two and move each force forward one tile, to separate tiles, this costs 2CP.

Specialty Tiles

Each Faction has selection of specialty tiles that include additional perks for the Tile Commander.

Starting Locations

gallery_48988_16024_74259.pnggallery_48988_16024_38680.png

The Imperial Faction will have the Vatarus Hive Secundus as their starting location, the Xenos Faction will have the ruined Hive Tercius as their starting location, and the Chaos Faction will have the Warp Gate as their starting Location. Starting Locations CANNOT be captured by other Factions.

Missile Silo

gallery_48988_16024_78131.png

This tile allows the Tile Commander to launch a Barrage for 1CP, giving +10 Attack Points to a single Attack move made by themselves, or anyone within their Faction, at any Location on the Map. If you choose to support an allies attack, you must pay the 1CP for the Combined Attack rule. The Tile Commander may make only one of these actions per month.

Once discovered, the Missile Silo may be used as a Additional Starting Location, additional starting locations CAN be captured by other Factions.

The PDF Fortified Installation

gallery_48988_16024_49962.png

The Forward Base is a PDF installation, and gives the Tile Commander access to Emergency Reinforements for 1CP, deploying +5 Defense Points to a tile facing an enemy Factions Attack move, for themselves or Allies within their Faction territory. The Tile Commander may make only one of these actions per month.

Once discovered, the PDF Fortified Installation may be used as a Additional Starting Location, additional starting locations CAN be captured by other Factions.

The Astartes Forward Base

gallery_48988_16024_113663.png

This tile allows the Tile Commander to launch a Rapid Assault for 1CP, giving +5 Attack Points to a single Attack move made by themselves, or anyone within their Faction, at any Location within the Factions Territory. If you choose to support an allies attack, you must pay the 1CP for the Combined Attack rule. The Tile Commander may make only one of these actions per month.

Once discovered, the Astartes Forward Base may be used as a Additional Starting Location, additional starting locations CAN be captured by other Factions.

The Starport

gallery_48988_16024_74822.png

This tile allows the Tile Commander to launch an Air Assault for 1CP, giving +5 Attack Points to a single Attack move made by themselves, or anyone within their Faction, at any Location on the Map. If you choose to support an allies attack, you must pay the 1CP for the Combined Attack rule. Alternatively, the Tile Commander may launch an Air Defense, giving +5 Defense Points against a single Attack move against themselves, or anyone within their Faction, at any Location on the Map. The Tile Commander may make only one of these actions per month.

Once discovered, the Astartes Forward Base may be used as a Additional Starting Location, additional starting locations CAN be captured by other Factions.

The Inviolate Rage and remains of Vatarus Hive Primus

gallery_48988_16024_116656.png

The Inviolate Rage is divided into three sections, and their control is the ultimate goal of the Factions for the campaign. Each Faction has a specific Primary goal, which will be revealed in the Faction specific PMs. Each sections have their own Special Rules to be revealed as they are discovered. Once discovered, the sections of the Inviolate Rage ARE NOT Additional Starting Locations.

Edited by Grotsmasha

This is great! I'm definitely up for this. I may not be present much for a couple of months though as my wife is due to give birth in January. I reckon I can squeeze in a model or two to keep it ticking over though.

What would happen if one faction has more participants?

This is great! I'm definitely up for this. I may not be present much for a couple of months though as my wife is due to give birth in January. I reckon I can squeeze in a model or two to keep it ticking over though.

The other Factions will need to paint more models per person to ensure they have appropriate Attack/Defense points. Getting the Completion Badge with 1 model for all 12 Months will net 38CP, but just 12 Attack/Defense points. On the other hand, aiming for Seriously (5+ modes per month) will earn 85CP and 60+ Attack/Defense.

The other Factions will need to paint more models per person to ensure they have appropriate Attack/Defense points. Getting the Completion Badge with 1 model for all 12 Months will net 38CP, but just 12 Attack/Defense points. On the other hand, aiming for Seriously (5+ modes per month) will earn 85CP and 60+ Attack/Defense.

Guess switching to paint my guant heavy tyranid army will be a good idea.

Grotsmasha
This post was recognized by Grotsmasha!

Rogue was awarded the badge '12 Months of Hobby 2019 Completed'

They're done. The last elements of the army are based. Hurrah for me.

last marines

I'm definitely up for doing this again next year, although I've never been great with online campaigns and the like. Still, I'll be painting models anyway, hopefully, and hanging out in the thread, so everything else is a bonus.

Thanks again for running this all year, Grotsmasha, and I hope you and everyone else has a peaceful Christmas.

Thanks - now it's done, I prefer it to the stark black bases, and it's a definite improvement on the speeder flying bases - the textured base seems far less obtrusive than the nominally transparent original, and makes the speeder look like it's flying over terrain rather than being held up on a large base.

Robofish, I've found that the challenge made me much more intentional about my painting - thinking about achievable targets, hitting deadlines, planning out what would fit in to each month. Helpful stuff.

Edited by Rogue

Grotsmasha
This post was recognized by Grotsmasha!

Gederas was awarded the badge '12 Months of Hobby 2019 Completed'

I, Gederas, embark for the final time on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge for 2019, and for the month of December pledge to complete Nârik Dreygur, Consul-Praevian of the Iron Warriors Legion by month's end.

CwPyptO.jpg

Let's make this a good one lads!

And finished:

VbDND2S.jpg

Edited by Gederas