=] 12 Months of Hobby Challenge 2019 [=

Grotsmasha

Nice Fr33dom, very nice.  I'd say the wash depends enormously on exactly what Quixtus said, what tone you're wanting to go for.  If it's toxic waste, it has a bit of yellow in it but it's still a cooler shade (from the pictures).  But if it's for a warm shade, yeah Argax I think thinned with some lahmia medium is good.  Just be sure to have an extra brush to wipe any excess off the raised points that you need. 

I can only go from the 'cool' side of the spectrum that the heavy washes I typically use for white are actually closer to super diluted inks. I may have to try out a similar recipe now just for funsies. As it is, I've got some white painting coming up and I'm not totally looking forward to it. 

Nice Fr33dom, very nice. I'd say the wash depends enormously on exactly what Quixtus said, what tone you're wanting to go for. If it's toxic waste, it has a bit of yellow in it but it's still a cooler shade (from the pictures). But if it's for a warm shade, yeah Argax I think thinned with some lahmia medium is good. Just be sure to have an extra brush to wipe any excess off the raised points that you need.

I can only go from the 'cool' side of the spectrum that the heavy washes I typically use for white are actually closer to super diluted inks. I may have to try out a similar recipe now just for funsies. As it is, I've got some white painting coming up and I'm not totally looking forward to it.

Cheers mate. Are you airbrushing or painting? I’ve found airbrushing white with ulthuan grey is great instead of painting it on by hand. Quicker too. Edited by Fr33Dom

I'll be airbrushing up those 55-ish troopers I've got lined up.  I can't stand handbrushing white or yellow when airbrushing keeps the texture from getting gunky or tide-marking like crazy.  And it's so dry here that wet-blending is problematic.  So I'll likely be priming them in grey, then base coating them in Vallejo Glacial blue (It's like Celestia grey), then cold white, and pure white.  Then gloss varnish, and a good ol 'proprietary wash' which is more or less just 10:2:1:1 (water, P3 armour wash, Minitaire oil discharge, Golden drying retarder).  Tends to hug the plates so I don't have to do a ton extra. 

Man, if I can find that squad of World Eaters in white I did I'll toss it up as a proof of concept thing. 

I, Brother Sergeant Arkley , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete 5 Crimson Fists Intercessors by month's end.

I, Brother Callidan , embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete 5  Kabalite Warriors by month's end.

Hey lads, welcome aboard :thumbsup:

Edited by Grotsmasha

Marcusc, nice techmarin, especially the greenstuff work.

Cactus, on the cultists, what colour is that for the flesh?

MadGreek, Interesting concept, I hope it works for you.

Rouge, some real classics in there.

Vykes, nice work on the dreadnought. I have to say, the shift from the green to the final picture is quite

drastic. When I saw the first of the two I was expecting a much cleaner result than were you ended up.

Lord Ranulf, stunning work on that Commissar. If we are listing favourites I have always been partial to the DoK one walking forward and drawing a sword, but that one is defiantly in the top few spots.

A little update of my own, some fine details and then clean up and basing.

gallery_29932_13153_21325.jpg

Grotsmasha, quick question, I assume the answer is yes but just wanted to check. As I have vowed for L&T IV can I Vow the same models for this event in the next three months?

I'll be airbrushing up those 55-ish troopers I've got lined up.  I can't stand handbrushing white or yellow when airbrushing keeps the texture from getting gunky or tide-marking like crazy.  And it's so dry here that wet-blending is problematic.  So I'll likely be priming them in grey, then base coating them in Vallejo Glacial blue (It's like Celestia grey), then cold white, and pure white.  Then gloss varnish, and a good ol 'proprietary wash' which is more or less just 10:2:1:1 (water, P3 armour wash, Minitaire oil discharge, Golden drying retarder).  Tends to hug the plates so I don't have to do a ton extra. 

Man, if I can find that squad of World Eaters in white I did I'll toss it up as a proof of concept thing. 

thats an awesome batch, and there you go i'm feeling more inspired.  yes a 55 man reinforcement has captured my imagination.  Fair bit of modelling work just to get to first base there.

After playing a 3K game of 30K yesterday with more than 200 troopers involved, even just 55 feels kinda small.  So it's totally workable!  Doing it all at once should be all well and good, unless you run out of corks for holding models. (Next month, or later this month, is gonna be pledging a number of 'cultists', like 30 escher Cthonian troopers).  

Y'know Trokair, I said the same thing when I first started trying some of the water-soluable oils.  Then I tried to wash them off at one point in frustration and it just stained the surface.  After that, it became my go-to filter as it changes the surface colour and intensity in pretty dramatic ways.  That's what a hint of Ochre and Umbra can do.  

Late to the party but still plenty of time left to go! Perfect timing for me to get on this as well with just starting a new project for Vigilus...

I, Slyen, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete an Exalted Champion of Chaos by month's end.

Late to the party but still plenty of time left to go! Perfect timing for me to get on this as well with just starting a new project for Vigilus...

I, Slyen, embark on the 12 Months of Hobby Challenge, and for the month of January pledge to complete an Exalted Champion of Chaos by month's end.

Can't wait to see how it progresses :tu:

Grotsmasha, quick question, I assume the answer is yes but just wanted to check. As I have vowed for L&T IV can I Vow the same models for this event in the next three months?

Absolutely :thumbsup:

Thank you for confirming.

I know it is not February yet, and I have not finished the January vow either, but as I just finished the conversion, and posted a picture in L&T IV as part of my Vow there I thought it best to post the start picture for my February Vow here now. I will not start paining him until February.

I present one Magos Reductor.

gallery_29932_12734_20497.jpg

Now the real question, hat or no hat?