Perfect Opportunity in Vigilus

lhavoc

This pretty much disgusts me. Why did the Iron Hands get nothing except fluff in the Vigilus campaign? They committed 8 Clan Companies, not including Brazen Claws and Sons of Medusa. Led by Kardan Stronos. They should have at least a formation and more likely a Character (Stronos would be good) This is completely ridiculous that the chapter that dedicated the most assets gets nothing in rules while the Ultrasmurfs get an almost Celestine class reintroduced character. The Ultras did Nothing while the Brazen Claws conduced a major battle. What in the name of the Emperor is going on?!

Wait for book 2... I'm expecting (more like hoping) that will introduce IH and/or successor detachments. I would LOVE something terminator (Helfathers?) or dread related, but that's for another thread.

Wait for book 2... I'm expecting (more like hoping) that will introduce IH and/or successor detachments. I would LOVE something terminator (Helfathers?) or dread related, but that's for another thread.

Yeah, book 2 can't be all Chaos, all the time, so it seems like we'd be a good fit for variety in detachments.

I tell myself that GW planned this campaign far enough in advance that they knew Primarneus, his Victrix Guard, and the Crimson Fists box would be coming out mid-December along with Volume 1, thus their presence in the book while the Iron Hands can be among the Imperium forces given special attention in Volume 2 (hopefully around the time an actual Primaris Iron Hands upgrade kit is released).

The White Scars were also said to be at Vigilus and also got nothing as far as chapter-specific stratagems and such. And as others have pointed out, it's unlikely that Volume 2 will be given over to Chaos completely. Very good chance that the Iron Hands and White Scars will get some more attention there (although inevitably the Smurfs will probably be back for another round as well).

Vigilus was not an 'opportunity' for adding an Iron Hands character because they only make special characters with models now and the team who decide who gets a model is not the team who wrote the campaign book and decided which chapters would be in it.

Iron Hands not getting a detachment on the other hand definitely seems like a mistake, as does the lack of a Black Legion Raptor one. Presumably more chaos stuff is coming in book 2 but the Iron Hands and Brazen Claws were the first on the planet so should have been in book 1.

Though after the reaction I heard Clan Rakuan got; no attention may be better than bad attention.

It's been my experience that for every grognard like me who dislikes the Raukann-and-everything-since fluff, there are a dozen new fans who are cool with it.

That being said, the rules for the Fist of Medusa Strike Force from Angels of Death were pretty good, bumping up our FNP rolls and letting us take a heavy tank army if wanted. If we get a specialty detachment in Vigulus 2, I'd be totally okay with something like that.

Not sure there’d be a point in Rubicon-ing Stronos. He’s probably 80% bionic at this point, if not more. Other than his torso and his head I doubt there’s anything left to boost.

Sentiment is appreciated, though, Sete.

Not sure there’d be a point in Rubicon-ing Stronos. He’s probably 80% bionic at this point, if not more. Other than his torso and his head I doubt there’s anything left to boost.

Sentiment is appreciated, though, Sete.

Wasn't Calgar all chopped up by the swarmlord aswell?

Fingers crossed for book 2!

(I'm divided on going WS or IH with my successor but they are a bit more red talonish and less iron handish)

• 2 months later...
Wouldn’t it be great if Iron Hands got something out of this campaign? They deployed most of the Chapter there, including several Clans of the Successor Chapters AND Cardan Stronos, and they got nothing for their troubles. The only leaks so far are all Chaos, so I have little hope. Wouldn’t it be great if we could build a petition to have the Iron Hands save the day (and the warp gateway) instead of Moronis Colgate and his merry Smurfs?).

The new novels suggest some possibilities. Those Uber-Terminators that function as Guards (and Enforcers) for the Voice of Mars? Advanced data links within squads and Clans for Targeting? A Death Cult dedicated to Ferris Manus? Deploying an entire Clan Fortess-Crawler in combat?

Increasing our Feel No Pain to match Death Guard would be great, but it doesn’t quite make the mark as my concept of the Iron Hands. Unlike Death Guard, which placed heavy emphasis on heavy infantry, I think of Iron Hands as heavily mechanized or armoured. So not as fast and dynamic mech as White Scars, nor grinding slow seige and trench Warfare as Imperial Fists, Iron Warriors, etc. Something more in between.

Fast as but tougher Infantry. An emphasis on heavier assault vehicles (ala Land Raiders as options for standard squads). More accurate and devastating Artillery (add some Guard Medusa’s?) Some form of Fast Armoured/Air Cavalry (Transports and Anti-Tank/Ground Supression) and an emphasis on pinpoint Targeting. Standard tactics would focus on WWII Blitzkreig or Soviet “Red Tide” assaults with massive/short duration Artillery prep followed up with close assault mech advances.

My greatest worry for the Iron Hands now is the fact that the vast majority of them are at Vigilus, where Abaddon is all but guaranteed to win. With large numbers and no character models, my fear is that they will suffer grievous losses just to make the Black Legion look stronger.

Iron Hands only temper, never break! They cannot lose heart, for they have none. I say let them come - flesh is weak but deeds endure!

I have faith in the calculus.

Archived