Of pale skin and paler souls - Aeternus's Carcharodons

Aeternus

The test model is looking absolutely fantastic! As for the skin colour, I've had to figure out an answer to that myself, and the recipe I decided on was to use an undercoat of Screaming Skull with a wash of thinned down Ogryn Flesh (or, indeed, Reikland Fleshshade), which made for a very pale, albeit still alive, look:

brother-komoharai-tetangi-of-the-carchar

That being said, one of those new Idoneth Deepkin skin colours from GW should work pretty well as a starting point as well. Hope this helps! :)

Also, regarding the pale skin, I like to use Kislev Flesh mixed with white for my Emperor's Children. It's pale, but not unnatural. For the shading I add a little bit of Rhinoxhide to the mix.

I used a lot of white in the mix for Fulgrim's skin tone because he is described as almost albino.

DWPHHLy.jpg

I used the same three colours (Kislev Flesh, white, and Rhinoxhide) to paint this Herald's skin, but the Kislev Flesh is definitely the dominant colour. I think you'd probably want something a bit paler for the Carcharodons.

NSPAWag.jpg

That's how I paint my pale but alive skin tone.

Not that it's of much help for the Carcharodons, but just incase people were interested, I use a similar method for painting the slightly darker (than my EC) skin for my Sons of Horus. The only difference is that I substitute the Kislev FLesh for Cadian Fleshtone and vary the amount of white and Rhinoxhide that I use.

BoRxu2H.jpg

My Alpha Legion use the same three colours as the SoH, but with a little more Rhinoxhide in the mix.

lms4H4F.jpg

Also, I never use washes to shade skin any more. If I want to add a bit of colour to something or make a particular area darker (around the eyes, under the lip/cheekbones etc) I just add a darker colour to the skin tone mix. That's what I use the Rhinoxhide for :smile.:

What kind of pale skin are you trying to achieve? From what I've seen people often represent Carcharodons as being super pale, like actual white rather than caucasian.

Pale Grey up to an off-white then washed with very thinned Drakenhof nightshade looks kind of cool imo I just did it on this servitor:

992759_sm-.JPG992760_sm-.JPG

Alternatively layer up through greys without the wash. I did these using Reaper's vampire skin triad:

725433_sm-.JPG
767537_sm-Malifaux.JPG

Yes! This is a carcharadon thread I can get behind - you’ve executed it perfectly! Not too much fancy stuff or bones etc, totally practical weaponry and armour, and the only real decoration being the exile markings (how carcharadons SHOULD be) this thread is looking really promising!

As for the skin, when I did carcharadons I used pallid wych flesh - with a wash of very diluted, 2:1 nuln oil/agrax mix. Then ceramite White for teeth, abaddon black for eyes/tattoos, and BFTBG for the inside of the mouth:

Hidden Content
qx3haI5.jpg

Archived