Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Of pale skin and paler souls - Aeternus's Carcharodons

40k Kill team Carcharodons Aeternus Aeternas WIP

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,188 posts
  • Faction: Summoners

I really like that guy on the far right with the auspex. The cabling is a really nice touch.

TRUESCALE SPACE MARINE TUTORIAL

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Spoiler

KrautScientist

KrautScientist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,557 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters

The test model is looking absolutely fantastic! As for the skin colour, I've had to figure out an answer to that myself, and the recipe I decided on was to use an undercoat of Screaming Skull with a wash of thinned down Ogryn Flesh (or, indeed, Reikland Fleshshade), which made for a very pale, albeit still alive, look:

Spoiler

That being said, one of those new Idoneth Deepkin skin colours from GW should work pretty well as a starting point as well. Hope this helps! :)

• Bjorn Firewalker likes this

Marshal Rohr

Marshal Rohr

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 15,321 posts
  • Faction: 7th Terran Regiment

Excellent free hand work!

Your opinion is important, and someone posting here probably does care what you think. You should go tell them. Remember that it really hurts to come up with an idea you care about and have no one else care. Go care about something and tell them what you think. Now. Think of what it would have meant to you when you were young.

+++The Iterators Guild+++

A Group for Lore Minded Hobbyists and World Building Projects

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,264 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Excellent work on the Deathwatch Carcharodon.

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Kizzdougs

Kizzdougs

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,074 posts
  • Faction: III Legion

Also, regarding the pale skin, I like to use Kislev Flesh mixed with white for my Emperor's Children. It's pale, but not unnatural. For the shading I add a little bit of Rhinoxhide to the mix.

I used a lot of white in the mix for Fulgrim's skin tone because he is described as almost albino.

Spoiler

I used the same three colours (Kislev Flesh, white, and Rhinoxhide) to paint this Herald's skin, but the Kislev Flesh is definitely the dominant colour. I think you'd probably want something a bit paler for the Carcharodons.

Spoiler

That's how I paint my pale but alive skin tone.

Not that it's of much help for the Carcharodons, but just incase people were interested, I use a similar method for painting the slightly darker (than my EC) skin for my Sons of Horus. The only difference is that I substitute the Kislev FLesh for Cadian Fleshtone and vary the amount of white and Rhinoxhide that I use.

Spoiler

My Alpha Legion use the same three colours as the SoH, but with a little more Rhinoxhide in the mix.

Spoiler

Also, I never use washes to shade skin any more. If I want to add a bit of colour to something or make a particular area darker (around the eyes, under the lip/cheekbones etc) I just add a darker colour to the skin tone mix. That's what I use the Rhinoxhide for smile.png

Edited by Kizzdougs, 09 January 2019 - 01:23 AM.

• Pearson73, Aeternus, The Ergonomic Enginseer and 1 other like this

The Sekhmet plus Emperor's Children and general 30k | Word Bearers plus general 40k | Instagram: @raptorimperialis

ETL_VI_Badge_Artisan_Master.jpg ETL_2014_Badge_V2_11_Honour.jpg ETL_Medal_06.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gif Img_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A.gif gallery_29004_6198_3130.png sml_gallery_29004_10691_4416.png ETL_2016_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei03.gif ETL_2018_Medal_01_Custos_Fidei_04.gif

gallery_11038_675_366.png

sockwithaticket

sockwithaticket

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,520 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Tears

What kind of pale skin are you trying to achieve? From what I've seen people often represent Carcharodons as being super pale, like actual white rather than caucasian.

Pale Grey up to an off-white then washed with very thinned Drakenhof nightshade looks kind of cool imo I just did it on this servitor:

Spoiler

Alternatively layer up through greys without the wash. I did these using Reaper's vampire skin triad:
Spoiler

Crimson Tears, Deathwatch and Inquisition WIP thread (most recent page):
http://www.bolterand...updated/page-28

Deathwatch Hall of Honour thread:
http://www.bolterand...maccrage/page-4

gallery_62972_10568_12006.jpg

k0nahrik

k0nahrik

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 145 posts
  • Faction: Iron Warriors
Yes! This is a carcharadon thread I can get behind - you’ve executed it perfectly! Not too much fancy stuff or bones etc, totally practical weaponry and armour, and the only real decoration being the exile markings (how carcharadons SHOULD be) this thread is looking really promising!

As for the skin, when I did carcharadons I used pallid wych flesh - with a wash of very diluted, 2:1 nuln oil/agrax mix. Then ceramite White for teeth, abaddon black for eyes/tattoos, and BFTBG for the inside of the mouth:
Hidden Content

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 40k, Kill team, Carcharodons, Aeternus, Aeternas, WIP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users