Forge World Dreads

McElMcNinja

I have never played with or against Forgeworld dreads and I'm at a point I would like to get one or two. So which one would be the better choice. Then which body and weapons would I need to order to build them? Cost, both $$$ and points may be a factor. So any info is helpful.

I have a leviathan with double butcher cannons and grab flux and it's a beast...but quite pricey points wise. I also have a contemptor with twin butchers and it's no slouch either and cheaper. I have a deredeo also, but not built it yet....I now realise I spend too much on this game lol

What are you using for double butcher, are they the same part that the decimator uses? Would any twin autocannon work, like from the blight lords?

The butcher cannon array for the Leviathan is the Storm Cannon Array.

Literally, it's the same gun, just with a different name :lol:

The Hellforged Leviathan's weapons are just funky names for the 30k loyalist weapons but converting a leviathan with funky weapons sounds like the better idea than just using the 30k model out of the box. A Forgefiend's gun might be a better butcher cannon than a stormcannon, only issue is that if you just buy a leviathan body to put kitbashed weapons on you don't get the shoulders in the kit.

Levi did not get a point decrease but are awesome. Since the contempts did get one I think if you are min/max that two contemptors with butcher cannons are more value than one Levi with the butcher arrays.

I like the look of the leviathan over the contemptor. Is that a solid choice also?

Does the Pope have a funny hat?

Yes. The Leviathan is probably the single-best Forge World option Chaos gets. It's not overpowered, it's priced fairly, and it will very easily make its points back unless you roll terribly and your opponent rolls amazingly :lol:

I like the look of the leviathan over the contemptor. Is that a solid choice also?

Good Nurgle yes! The levi is amazing. It will soak up most of your enemy shooting. If you give it the double butcher cannon array it will sit back and put out a ton of dakka for you. If you run a Levi and Morty in a list you actually give your opponent something to fear almost as much as Morty.

I am looking at adding a trio of Contemptor dreadnought in my shooting focused DG list. I'm thinking of running two with double butcher cannons and one with double kheres assault cannons or all three with double butcher cannons. The thought behind the kheres is for some additional horde control. The three dreadnought accompany two helverin armigers.

Any thoughts on which load out would be most efficient?

I know its off topic but if youre worried about hordes always remember the rapier weapon battery. less than 80 points for 12 heavy bolter shots

I thought we got FAQ-ed to say we couldn't use them?

Honestly I kind like the idea of hungry hungry artillery....

Yeah you need to bring a detachment of normal marines for Rapiers sadly. Though that's not very hard.

I am looking at adding a trio of Contemptor dreadnought in my shooting focused DG list. I'm thinking of running two with double butcher cannons and one with double kheres assault cannons or all three with double butcher cannons. The thought behind the kheres is for some additional horde control. The three dreadnought accompany two helverin armigers.

Any thoughts on which load out would be most efficient?

I'm working on a vanguard detachment as we speak of chaos lord and 3 twin butcher cannon contemptors

I know its off topic but if youre worried about hordes always remember the rapier weapon battery. less than 80 points for 12 heavy bolter shots

I thought we got FAQ-ed to say we couldn't use them?

Honestly I kind like the idea of hungry hungry artillery....

Yeah you need to bring a detachment of normal marines for Rapiers sadly. Though that's not very hard.

Dang I didn't realize that FAQ. Unfortunate

• 2 weeks later...

I want to see you guys paint some of these dreads guys.

Personally I’m still a huge fan of the Soulburner varieties... particularly the Decimator. The challenge for my Death Guard is always the same.... just use the Bloatdrones and PBCs instead. I. Just a sucker foe those units.

Archived