Bad Guys from the Badab War ( Lamenters / Mantis Warriors )

Breakthrough

Hi guys,

again its me so sorry for that :smile.:

yesterday we talked in our local store, about an campaign and now, alle the players want to start the badab War, hmgpf ok so no Death Gaurd we take out an Space Marine Chapter from the Badab War -.-

Because of that I need some help / inspiration guys.

The problem is, I wanna play the bad guys, but a friend of mine was first with Astral Claws, so for me there are just 2 options then.

Lamenters or the Mantis Warriors

Lamenters which would be played after the BA codex thats not really a Prob, throwing in what there is seen on pics in the book, and well, we have roundabout 1850Pts.

But then the Mantis Warriors, an chapter which is founded with White Scars geneseed, but I am so long outta buisiness, from 40k I dont really know, is it playable without that Primaris guys, and the most Important question to me, what would be fluffy to be played in a Mantis Warriors force?

Does someone of you have some ideas, or tips or anything else, what I should go for?

Greetings Frank

If you should go the route of Mantis Warriors, I would go jump pack heavy which happily emulates their fluff as guerrilla fighters while taking advantage of White Scars Chapter Tactics: shoot, charge, fall back and repeat.

A Jump Captain and some Vanguard Vets would be a good place to start. Tool the Vets out with plasma pistols and chain swords  for versatility and decent punch at reasonable cost while the Captain gives re-rolls for when the Vets overcharge plasma. As for the Captain, you can't go wrong with a Thunder Hammer and the Shield Eternal for some extra oomph. 

If they're a guerilla type chapter, I'll agree with what is said above. Librarians to help steer their course, jump troops, and scouts would all seem in character. On an additional note, I paint Lamenters and boy are they an ambitious project with all the yellow and checks, so of course I think you should play them instead :)

@Jareddm thanks very much, yeah we had the on the screen intern in our shop, and someone there will start a warband of them too so I am out ;)

@Dumah, Inquisitor Dracos, Kinstryfe and ad Iron Father Ferrum thank ya all for the help and suggestions.

I take today a long time, with talking to my friend which will start the Astral Claws, and cause I am a very good painter :wacko.: I think I will start with the Mantis Warriors.

But there I get my Problems. I dont really know what to play and especially how to play em, with what equipment and so.

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Mantis_Warriors here is not sooooo much pictures from Units and 1 Rhino and Razorback.

You have to know, I am outa 40k since 4-5 years and my friends are actually not really an Help cause I wanna play the fluffy.

So I know, you cant give me a complete list.

But could ya please give me some suggestions whicht unit and how equipped, cause there I dont know anything what to do.

Greetings Frank:HS:

I'm just back last year after being gone since just the begining of 5th edition. I'm a bit of a snowflake myself, in that I want to be competitive but I also have a love for the lore.

PM me. I paint like a snail but consider myself at least a moderate tactician.

HQs: take Ahazra Redth, their character from the FW Index. He's not super powerful, but he's better than a stock Librarian. Find room for a Captain and a Lieutenant because rerolls for your shooting units are key. I'd also recommend a Chaplain with jump pack; the White Scar trait is close combat focused, so the Chaplain's reroll aura will do you well.

Take pistol & sword Scouts to fill the Troop requirements in a Battalion Detachment. They fit the fluff and benefit the most of all Troop choices from the White Scar trait. I'd recommend max-sized squads because you'll want the attack volume.

Devastators will be your go-to fire support units. I'd focus them on tank killing, so load up on lascannons. Maybe missile launchers if you want a little flexibility.

Vanguard Veterans with jump packs, loaded down with power weapons, will make a good mobile force especially if backed by the Chaplain. Don't forget a few storm shields to tank heavy weapons fire.

If you feel compelled to take vehicles, Ironclad Dreadnoughts fit the best I think. Their assault launchers operate on the charge, and at T8 there's not much that can easily wound them in close combat, so a few of those charging in, pounding something, falling back, and charging again will hurt.

• 1 month later...

Intercessors with auto bolt rifles are a good fit also.. with the White Scar tactic they move 9-14" a turn and can still pump out shots another 24" past that.

Primaris were introduced long after the end of the Badab War.

If it was an Astral Claws army, I reckon you could get away with a unit or two of 'primaris' but instead of cawl-primaris they'd be some 'uber' marine that Huron asked the Flesh-Smiths on Shaprias to whip up to give him an edge against 'normal' marines. 

If it was an Astral Claws army, I reckon you could get away with a unit or two of 'primaris' but instead of cawl-primaris they'd be some 'uber' marine that Huron asked the Flesh-Smiths on Shaprias to whip up to give him an edge against 'normal' marines.

Good idea. Hopefully, these "Supremis Corsairs" will have different stats- let's say +1 Strength, -1 Wounds (to a minimum of 1), due to the effects of steroid abuse- forcing Red Corsair players to use different tactics, and making Chaos Marines more than just "Primaris Marines, but spiky and evil."

Archived